Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked doctor sues former employer for refusing to call trans-woman "she"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Science says its impossible or you say it's impossible?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

It is impossible. Whether that fact can be called scientific any more, who knows. I will always rely on something I call an observable fact of life rather than “science” that will soon “find out” that day is night and night is day, the way things are going. When I see someone with an Adam’s apple, a certain pitch of voice and a certain build to their body, I always know I am talking to a man, no matter how much eyeshadow he is wearing, let alone how much he wants to convince me that he is a woman. If me stating an observable reality such as that, becomes a hate crime or hate speech, the society will be going down a very dark path. And a very sinister one, if we add in the fact that womanhood is already being negated and denied by the medical use of such ridiculous terms as “chest milk”, or “people with wombs”. Excuse me, I am a woman, I have breasts. It’s not my fault that trans women were born without the possibility of growing their mammary glands (because they, er, how can I put this politely, are MEN!) and are trying to negate the reality of my biology just to make themselves feel better about it. It is fcuking ominous and it makes me furious.

Post edited by seenitall on

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

What is a "real woman" and how do you define "womanly"?

I am taking a wild guess that you ARE a real man and are just as manly as someone else who was born a 'woman' with a real penis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Was it said which gender was origin... did it have jewels removed....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To much there to go into detail, so I'll just pick this:

trying to negate the reality of my biology just to make themselves feel better about it

... your biology...?

Anyway - I'm out at this point. When people start saying "**** science - I'll decide what I want" - be they creartionists, flat Earthers or you lot - rational debate has kind of gone out the window.

I respect your viewpoints, but not the thinking (or lack thereof) behind them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Lol. You're "out" are you?

How incredibly convenient. Just when you were being asked to define what "female" means and you found yourself in a corner.

This whole ideology is built on nothing. Can ANYONE here share their definition of "woman" and "female" that makes sense?

Anyone?

Yes, my biology! You know, the same one that every other WOMAN shares with me. Or have we come to a point where the acceptance of women’s biology is in question? Going by your response and your not addressing the point which I raised about medical practice starting to avoid naming my/our biology by their proper names as they can only belong to women and not men who wish they were women, cos feelings, presumably… I would really be asking myself the question of which one of us, you or I, is not cognisant and accepting of Science here. For myself, it’s true, I will never be accepting of “science” that would call me a “person with womb” instead of woman. “People with wombs” must not be erased from the medical vocabulary as women just because some of them wish they were born without wombs. So as long as we are talking about that kind of “science” which seeks to distort and misrepresent reality, and seeks to tell us that a man can turn into a woman and Vice Versa, I will continue despising it, as should any person who holds up science, not the “science” which would seek to tell us that day is night in the name of ideology. But you continue ducking and dodging the points I raised and “respecting” my opinions by telling me I haven’t thought them through (oh the irony), while backing the most absurdist and anti-scientific ideology (although not the most repressive - yet) I’ve ever come across in my life, and, as I grew up under a Communist regime, that really is saying something.

ETA: oh and “you lot” - right back at ya!

Post edited by seenitall on

Biology says it.

Are you honestly saying you are in the belief that a person who was born a man, can become a woman?

No. People are reasonably stating that, although it's quite popular to say it, a man and a woman are NOT interchangeable.

You have the balls to say that the opinion is ignoring science (despite it adhering to biological reality) and that acknowledging the FACT that a man and a women are different is akin to flat earth and creationism.

Deluded for the sake of attempting to appear "progressive"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not a person who upholds science, I don’t particularly care for it one way or the other to be honest. I don’t know many people who do, to the degree that they would commit themselves to various scientific endeavours in the pursuit of knowledge. I’m only putting that out there now so you have the choice to waste your time reading the rest of my post.

Definitions and all the rest of it aren’t a question of science or medicine or anything else, they’re a question of language, and language comes from having the freedom to express ourselves. It’s such a fundamental part of recognising everyone in society as being of equal status, that the right to freedom of expression is codified in many Western legal systems in one way or another. You’ll often see it here that posters when they receive an infraction for being a dick, they complain about their right to freedom of speech being violated. It’s not, but you get the point - depending upon whichever Communist regime you grew up in, I’m sure you’re acutely more aware of the value of freedom of expression than most people in the West who take the right for granted because they grew up under some form of democracy - we’ve never had to think about the value of freedom of expression.

I don’t think it’s an attempt to distort reality or anything else, I think it’s an attempt to express reality from their perspective. It’s not something that bothers me personally, not because I’m a man or anything else, but because the impact it has on my life, or the obligation it places upon me is literally zero! How many posters here on this thread alone, do you see going out of their way to declare that they will not submit to the New World Order? They’re quite happy with the existing one, thank you very much 😏

That’s the world order where science, biology, social order, has always been dominated by men, and will continue to be dominated by men. That’s not any particular man’s or woman’s fault, nor is is their individual responsibility. I don’t think for example the word ‘vagina’ would have caught on in the English language had it not previously been part of Latin, referring to a sheath or a scabbard for a sword. Gladius, the Latin for sword, was used to refer to penis, which only makes sense if you’re not a person who upholds science and instead are a rather juvenile sort like myself who can think of hundreds of ways to refer to parts of the human reproductive system that they didn’t learn while studying Latin 😒

Sadly not a language we learned in school, was taught by my mother, long after the Vatican decided that mass was no longer required to be said in Latin, but some Catholics are of the “Fcuk you I won’t do what you tell me” variety -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40768860.html

They’re quite prickly about pronouns too -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2022/02/16/catholic-priest-baptism-sacrament-invalid-vatican/

Nevertheless, the point is that even among women, the terms invented by men to refer to womens lady bits, are often regarded by women as oppressive, offensive, illogical, or just plain outright outdated -

https://www.womensrepublic.net/vagina-the-oppressive-original-meaning-and-why-it-matters-today/

All that being said, whether anyone claims to be relying on science, religion or whatever other system of naming things and referring to people according to what they’ve learned, the point is that in every case, they’re aware of what they’re doing. In the case of doctors in the UK who are required to adhere to their profession’s code of conduct, overseen by the GMC, they are required to refer to patients as the patient wishes to be referred to. They are also required to keep their personal beliefs and opinions to themselves. It’s what it means to be a medical practitioner, who adheres to and upholds the code of conduct and standards of their profession.

The man in question here in this particular case is perfectly entitled to exercise his freedom of expression on his own time, outside of the confines of his profession. He too tries to say it’s not him that decides however people are referred to, it’s science, or religion, or truth, and yet the Employment Tribunal provides plenty of evidence that this chap wouldn’t know fact from fiction if it was literally staring him in the face. He’s merely going by what suits himself, and using backward rationalisation which suits his purposes, to justify his behaviour towards others. That’s what’s called a loose cannon, a liability, which is not something any employer wants to have in their employment, especially when dealing with members of the public.

• Advertisement

I didn’t go into that case specifically in the thread, I was just replying to an infuriating post above, appearing to question the science as a backing for human biology. If someone wants to be called Molly rather than Mike I will oblige them not because it is required by my profession’s standards but because it doesn’t hurt me to indulge their delusion that they are a woman rather than a man - up to a point. However, I think that a point comes where we have to say enough is enough, we don’t want any men in our changing rooms, no matter how many times they say they are women - the biological and observable reality is that try are not. We don’t want our biology to be mislabeled as “chest” - we have breasts and we lactate, no matter how many men don’t like it being mentioned because alas they don’t have, and cannot do, the same as us. They would be better to accept the reality of their biology than try to wage an absurdist culture war against science and biology. They might succeed for a while, but as their whole ideology is based on denying biological (and, what’s even worse for them, observable) reality, whatever gains they make will be short-lived, I’m pretty sure of it.

Would it help to mention that a variety of health conditions including liver disease and thyroid conditions can cause a man to lactate?

woman is just a name for an adult human. Not every woman shares the same biology as you. Female is the female of any species.

Uh… dunno if serious? How do you square the fact that men can (under exceptional circumstances) lactate with an ideological intent to refer to human breasts as “chest”, whether by lactating or non-lactating men, who’d obviously rather the word “breast” was erased from dictionary? Where is the connection you are trying to establish here?

Oh I am deadly serious, men can lactate under exceptional circumstances.

Where are all these guys trying to ban the use of the word 'breast ' ?

No, woman is “just” the name for an adult human of a certain sex. I am a woman. This means I belong to the female sex. As a human adult.

I didn’t post to the contrary, did I? In fact I acknowledged it myself in those very words you use above …. In exceptional circumstances! But carry on and duck and dodge the point I did make in response to you. Yawn.

You were addressing a lot of strange inferences you would not find in my post, so I did not see the need to reply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Surely this doctor could have just called these people by their names? How often do we use gender specific pronouns when we're actually speaking to a person?

Ultimately the doctor has as much right to his opinions as anyone has to theirs be they trans or whatever.

I personally wouldn't want to offend anyone but the entrenched positions people assume on these topics make them appear more significant than they are.

There are more important things going on in the world at any time than whether or not someone isn't labeled correctly by a doctor they will see presumably once in this case.

Should trans people be subjected to abuse? Of course not. On the whole they aren't and these cases really aren't common or at all the relevant to most people.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Woman has been the name for different things over the years, e.g. My great uncle had a woman who used to work in his house, she was called the woman, many housekeepers were.

Google is your friend, bubblypop. Here is one of the hits:

Oh and please don’t come back to me with your usual intelligence-insulting moving of the goalposts, saying “And what could possibly be wrong with that??” To save time on your faux naïveté, just reread my earlier posts on “what’s wrong with that”.

//www.good.is/amp/health-professionals-are-switching-the-term-breast-milk-for-chest-milk-to-be-more-inclusive-2650558186

Oh I think I addressed your own strange post spot on. That’s why you have no substantial reply to my point.

You read between the lines like an expert. You're too angry to slow down and take it at face value.

I just wanted you to know that under certain circumstances, men have been known to lactate.

I can't address youe other points because you basically made them up.

Sure, and if she was called a/the woman, it was because she belonged to the female sex.

What are you talking about moving goalposts???

By someone saying chest milk instead of breast milk somehow they are 'trying to negate the reality of my biology'

Really? Seems strange that it would have such an affect on you. You still have your breasts no matter what anyone else calls them. Nothing makes you less of a female.

"woman is just a name for an adult human"

Really? That's your definition of woman?

LOL

And STILL nothing of substance to add to the discussion, just trying to get personal with the “you are angry” and “you are making it up” comments. Playground stuff, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I went to the actual source which that article is based upon, and as I suspected, you were presenting a distorted version of reality; not through any fault of your own of course, but simply because of what you already believed, led to your being convinced that something else was true, when in reality, it isn’t -

Gender Inclusion Language Guidance in Maternity Services at BSUH

Gender inclusion has been a focus in maternity services at BSUH for many years. This along with the lived experience of women and birthing people has enabled the development of this guidance.

We have a collaborative relationship with service users and partner organisations to support more inclusive care for people using our services. As part of this work, the new guidance broadens the language we use and aims to support people who identify in a different way to feel the service includes and represents them.

The vast majority of midwifery service users are women and we already have language in place they are comfortable with. This is not changing and we will continue to call them pregnant women and talk about breast feeding.

Adding to the language we use, and that people are comfortable with, ensures we are providing individual care for every person.

(bold emphasis my own)

Full policy document is here, feckall to do with science, or men making demands that anyone entertain their delusions or whatever else (like the man who is the subject of the thread, expecting anyone should entertain his delusions of grandeur and self-appointed authority), everything to do with the practice of medicine -

https://www.bsuh.nhs.uk/maternity/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2021/01/Gender-inclusive-language-in-perinatal-services.pdf

• Advertisement

Let me see if I can summarise this:

Men can't lactate.

They can actually, though under certain circumstances.

You want to delete the word breast from the dictionary!

No, I am correcting your certainty that men cannot ever lactate.

You won't argue with me? That's not in the spirit of the thread.

I am very much enjoying this exchange however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement