Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kurt Zouma thinks it's funny to use a cat as a football

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Good question. No, I think anyone who engages in that kind of behaviour should face serious legal consequences, whoever they are. In this case, I think, a legal/investigative process is ongoing and that should continue.

Yes, especially when they promoted what they did online.

My problem in this case, is that people, especially children, look up to football players in particular. Now while to my mind that doesn't impose an onus on players to be paragons of virtue, I do think there be an absolute red line beyond which a player should never cross. And if there were such a line, Zouma would have crossed it. Thusly, I have a serious problem with West Ham keeping this vile scumbag on the team, and given their failures, their sponsors like Betway for continuing to allow their names to be associated with cat kickers.

When I was a kid I never looked up to a football player. I don't know why there is this prevailing attitude that kids love football and football players as if no kids are interested in any other sport. I was never interested in football and have never watched a football game in it's entirety in my life.

I'm not a fan of "cancel culture" to say the least but in very rare cases, it's warranted. This is one of them.

This has nothing to do with cancel culture. CC is about cancelling a person because of their opinion, something they said. Kicking a cat is not an opinion. It's animal abuse and imo laws should be more severe on it than they currently are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Zouma was fined by his club. Not the State. If he chose to bring the fine to an employment tribunal it would most likely be easily overturned (unless there is something specific in his contract). No idea who Mark Todd is but who is his employer and how much is he paid per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Apologies for my last rant, it was ott, wouldn't have said it to your face, so don't know why I thought it was OK to go off on one. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Mark Todd is a horse trainer and involved with horse racing in the UK. So self employed. As of two days ago, his licence to train and race horses has been suspended based on an incident of him hitting a horse. On the face of that looks like he'll be down a large amount of money. Also reported that the British Horseracing Authority ar investigating the incident as well and like Zouma may face other penalties and or charges. The animal involved involved (a horse) was not owned by Mark Todd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok so he does not have an employer to fine him (unlike Zouma) and is subject to a worse ostracism from his sport than Zouma has been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some would say that Mark Todd is (deservedly) having as bad a time of it as Zouma. He's actually been suspended from racing in the interim period, while a full investigation is carried out.

He also could be banned/fined following the investigation. The RSPCA are not prosecuting as too much time has passed (2 years)

One large retailer has cancelled his products and made a stronger more direct statement than any of the sponsors in the Zouma case.

Equine and farm supply company Equiwarehouse was the first to say it would be 'cancelling' Sir Mark and refusing to sell any more of his products.

The firm wrote: 'With no regret at all, we will no longer be selling any Mark Todd clothing, horse wear or feed.

'Mark Todd Eventing you should be utterly ashamed of yourself, vile 'professional' and disgrace of a human.'

This story was covered very widely and it is bizarre to say that he was treated differently because of the colour of his skin. The only difference I can see is that Football is more popular than equestrian sports so a Footballer would be more widely known. Personally, I had heard of Mark Todd, but never heard of Zouma before.

I recall the guy who sat on the dead horse got much more press than Zouma aswell. I think the 'racism' angle is a nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Appreciate that. I wasn't as polite as I should have been either. Apologies.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Kurt Zouma played today for West Ham and no one cares.

The media machine moves on

Advertisement