Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Yup

I had real issues with the App for about a day and now its working fine but all my settings have wiped

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

I've only gotten it to work once, out of maybe 10 attempts, and that was a space between two cars for a reverse park. It was a big space too in a well marked car park. every other time it doesn't even find a space (parallel or reverse), so I just don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

Very disappoint charging session there at Ionity. 120km drive, arrived with 30% SoC, outside temp of 7 degrees C (but it's windy AF).

first charge point "encountered an error" and shut down. Moved to the other one, on the 4th attempt it started to charge, max charge rate of 78kW (average of 66kW) - I left after 5 mins (I didn't need the charge to get home).

The battery symbol on the dash had a blue snowflake in it (cold battery), hence the limited charge rate. I drove the last 20 mins to the charger with the climate control off so I wasn't stealing heat from the battery (as per the book of Bjorn), but this didn't help. I'm sure the battery would have warmed up after a while on the charger but no sense in paying 79c/kWh just to see if it eventually heated up. I'm going to reach out to KIA voicing my concerns over this (as the potential charging speeds of the EV6 were one of the big draws of this car, I feel like i'm not getting what I paid for).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

i have tried it several times as well, it seems like car needs to see some sort of an obstacle and it would not allign itself parallel to white lines. it sort of parked between 2 cars. but smart park is too cumbersome, i better park it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Onlyzeone

I was looking at this same issue last week but when I hit the ev button on the screen the difference became clear to me... The app was giving me the km left without using any hvac. When I am in the car, the distance left was taking the hvac into consideration. This became clear to me when looking at the ev screen on the dash. 375 left with hvac on, 390 left with hvac off.

Not saying this is the same for you but this was is how the difference made sense in my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

I hear you, but I don't think you'll get anywhere with Kia with this. The speeds are always quoted as "capable of" or "up to" etc.. it's like the (not so) old broadband speed argument, paying for 100Mbps but only getting 10 or 20. The speeds quoted are always based on optimal conditions which are difficult to achieve, it's the same with all EVs, Kia are no different from other brands in this respect. As far as Ionity goes, you're paying per kWh so the speed you get your kWs doesn't affect the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Are ionity Ireland 400volts or 800volts? Thats the key selling point that you can use the 350kw when available and maybe get like half that on average.

It is a bit shite, but I get the impression that's just the EV life.

Did my second home charge there last night, 60Kws for 6.60 euro. What are we meant to be doing again? Charge from 20 to 80%?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nellakram

Many thanks, that would make sense.

I guess I need to lol for that mention oh HAC

i did not see such on screen but will take another look. Where exactly do you see the 2 different readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

very cheap electicity rate you have there! Would you mind sharing in PM who are you with, please? Dont worry too much about 20-80% SOC. Let it charge fully every now and then. I have driven my 2 year old E-Niro down to 3% sometimes and charged fully to 100% once a month or so, havent seen battery degradation so far

No need to post privately all supplier prices are public. I'm with Bord Gais on a day/night meter (Urban Nightsaver), I signed up back in October with all types of discounts (totaling 20%) that worked out at 10.9 cents per unit at night including vat. I see on the site now it's 11.42 Inc VAT for he same package. Not sure what that means for my next bill, if I sign up for a year long contract an unit prices increase after the start do they only come into affect at the end of the contract? Either way it was between 6.60 Euro and 6.86 Euro for the 60 units last night, which isn't bad at all. The day rate though is 22.5 a unit. So I pay for it on that side. I've a heat pump in the house which I've set to wake up at 7am as well as the hot water, so it's a bit of a wash.

You can get good deals if you shop around and just focus on the unit costs. Other providers where a little cheaper tbh but I was didn't really trust what I was being told by the sales team, and also I'm with Bord Gais 4 years, one more year and I enter some loyalty program that locks in certain discounts.

A day night meter will have a higher standing charge, so factor that in. We determined that even before the EV and with no change in behaviour it would save a few hundred euro a year for us net. A smart meter however would have cost us more. Avoid anything that offers cash back up front introduction offers. These seem to be all the rage at the moment and just muddy the water, you pay back the money over the year with interest and if you not bang on time with changing contract after 12 months, you'll really be paying over the odds. Before switching package I was paying 25cent a unit day and night because all the deals had lapsed since January 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ionity is 800v capable but it’s also down to your car as to whether it is configured for 800v

so many other variables then too like the current state of charge of your battery when you plug it in and it’s temperature.

a cold battery and/or a “high” starting state of charge and you won’t get anywhere close to max rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cheap? I'm paying 4.78c / kWh night rate incl. VAT 😎

That's the energia EV plan. Fixed rates and all for the year. That contract is now coming to an end for me though in a few weeks. The plan still exists, but the prices have gone up by 45% 😥

If you choose not to take the ev rate and instead take the standard unit rate it's way cheaper.

It's really down to a per household usage patterns. At the moment a significant amount of our energy is used during the day so the high Energia day rates would be very punishing. Also we use around 8k units a year, which would push us into the high usage category, further undermining the value. Obviously your current deal is better than what I could get in October last year. I think all the suppliers are offering some packages which will be better for some folks over others. I based my decision on one full charge every two weeks at night. Currently I'm not really even doing that much. If I was charging nightly I would have gone for a different deal.

Btw, I looked at some of the smart packages, zero rated units on a Saturday or Sunday. The fine print has a fair usage policy of 80 units or so. So one free charge a month and the rest of the time paying top rates...

Sure. But I have a huge solar PV array. And a large power wall that I charge up at night from cheap green night rate in winter. So it would be easy enough to consume almost zero units at the high day rate for all but the worst days of the year.

What size power wall have you got ?? How long after charged up would it last if using it during a standard day ..

My power wall is 10kWh, an average Irish house uses about 10kWh per day. Even on a pretty crappy winter's day like today my PV produced 7kWh. So it is fairly easy to not use any day time units (or perhaps just the one) in my setup for a typical house for at least 340-350 days of the year

And for your whole set up how much there abouts did it cost including powerwall...I was interested before Christmas but waiting for the planning laws to change this year. Thanks

Don't know exactly but almost all of it was DIY and I got parts really cheap. My latest upgrade has a pay back period (with very conservative estimates) of not much more than 2 years. Almost all my previous PV projects with hindsight had pay back periods of zero (in other words, when I upgraded I sold the parts for more than I paid for them originally). If you get an installer to do the full install, even with the subsidies, the figures are far less favourable.

You must have at least 7 or 8kw system to pride that amount in February...

• Advertisement

Good guess! A bit under 8kwp, all south facing. Small suburban semi-d house. Over 5kwp of that is on my large new shed / gardenroom

16.8c / kWh including VAT. That was very high at the time I renewed and I would only break even compared with my old plan, if I used over 55% night rate. I don't think I actually made it, but that is due to my hobby which uses a lot of electricity (24/7)

Cow tipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Redfox25

LoL for whatever reason I was thinking short wave radio transmitter https://pirate.ie/archive/tags/shortwave/

Seems they're all gone. Could be pottery? Operating a kiln.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

☀️⛪️😵

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Excuse my ignorance and my off-topicness but what's a "power wall"?

Advertisement