Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yep, I totally understand. I only put it out there as a compromise to the risk of total bloodshed. The future looks bleak, and I always knew Putin wanted his old Soviet Union back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Explain to me how Russian security is threatened by NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've said it previously, cut the separatists free and let Russia have them and then essentially build a secure border around them,

But putin doesn't want the separatist areas he wants to be declared the defacto leader of Ukraine

Please provide evidence about US involvement in Ukraine as you claim on every post you make.

Or is just the same old repeating whataboutsim about Iraq,Afghanistan to make yourself look important without no meaning whatsoever.

Tell you what,have a good read up on what we are dealing with here

I recommend Fiona Hill's Mr Putin to start

As regards China if you agree that they're someone you'd like in your back yard,you've no hope

• Advertisement

This is coming from Russia state media,

One of the interesting pieces is any man under 55 with a Ukrainian passport won't be allowed to enter Russia as part of evacuation of people from the separatists areas.

Here's the map from the story above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

An agressive military alliance are seeking to build bases, and locate weapons in countries that surround you and that in no way threatens that Country...😃

Imagine the Russians seeking to locate bases in Mexico or Honduras...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Latest polling in Ukraine says 65% want to join NATO and 74% want to join the EU.

That's fairly lansdslidey in terms of public opinion.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1494738977831755784

Imagine soviet union expanding as far west as the Baltic states with missiles pointing towards every major European city and millions of troops along the european border.

• Advertisement

Who's this 'we'?

I'm well aware of who and what Putin is thanks.

As for China, in fairness you didn't disappoint, you answered precisely as I expected...

Canada

And a small minority of a minority want to be Russian ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Absolute nonsense, Russia has already invaded Ukraine a few years ago, they are already in Ukraine. The West have been saying in the last few months that they are going to now move in and take over the whole country, it's imminent apparently.

It is you and the others who have moved the goal posts, you are now trying to say they are not going to invade Ukraine, just the pro Russian territory of Donbas.

What evidence do you have of these "several" false flag attacks that have occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well that is probably what is going to happen if Ukraine want to move forward.

but it’s not that simple unless the EU and US place military on the ground behind the drawn lines.

if Ukraine secede those parts there is nothing to stop Russia taking more of the country unless Ukraine have back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

the Russians consider all their neighbours fair game and part of a future Russian sphere of influence in actuality

Dundalk, Co. Louth

To Russians, Ukraine is part of Russia.. the same way that Americans would look at Texas.

True, but this erases what many Mexicans think about Tejas; that it is a Northern region of Mexico temporarily under U.S. control. And the views of many born and bred Texans who would be quite content with Texas being an independent country. And the views of many Americans who would be quite happy if TX did exactly that :D These situations are always complicated with many competing claims.

Anyway, nobody should be deciding a single thing for Ukranians except the Ukranians themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

It's pretty incredible to watch the western allies publicly and very accurately calling out the Russian pre-invasion checklist literally the day before they do it.

Putin has actually managed to put himself in a no-win situation here. Invade, and the world condemns him as the aggressor. His economy will be crippled and only that fat thug in Belarus stands with him. Back down, and he looks weak.

He's completely isolated - and is driving the other former Soviet territories in Europe further into the embrace of the Western democracies and their supranational organisations. This is a strategic miscalculation of enormous proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I very much doubt it, if the bookies were taking bets I'd put everything I had on it.

Do you think I care about Russia and China apoligism?

I don't because by the sounds of things I don't have to explain why

My view is,there's a lot less wrong with wanting to join nato if you border Russia, than there is in keeping China at bay

• Advertisement

As ever, the whole situation hinges on the question 'what does Putin want?'.

Amd his strategic objectives are as opaque as ever. I suspect two years of covid isolation (he has literally been living in a bunker) and the inevitable mind-warping effects of absolute power have driven him dotty.

Not sure how dotty. Maybe Dick Nixon drunkenly wandering the halls of The White House talking to portraits of dead presidents dotty. As opposed to Hitler in the Fuhrerbunker dotty.

this was all over the German news Yesterday and should have been said weeks ago.

Baerbock is warning the public that they need to cut off energy supplies from Russia despite the economic cost to Germany including the pipeline.

If it had been said weeks ago Russian soldiers would be back at base by now and separtists would not be acting up. Baerbock and Scholz look and actually are weak but at least they are saying what needs to be said by them now.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/nord-stream-2-table-russia-sanctions-german-foreign-minister-2022-02-18/

I've been impressed with the new German government in the last week. They've really stepped up after initially appearing confused and soft on Putin. The French too.

Even the clowns in the UK government (the one most compromised by Russia) are making the right noises.

Amazing how the fog created by the Kremlin mouthpieces has lifted in the last week as the facts on the ground become clear and obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

It will depend on where they are getting their info from, the Internet etc, is a huge source of info ( unless its blocked, and I'm pretty sure that anti Putin sites are well monitored and controlled ) But most Russians don't believe what the propaganda machine is spouting. They've learned the hard way. No, for sure they do not want any more body bags returning.

It's insane to allow such concentration of power in the hands of so few. Both Putin and Biden appear to be suffering from the effects of old age. Old men (sometimes women too) past their prime, utterly corrupted by power, with all OUR fates in their hands.

I know that power and decision making is always diffused and there are many people involved in these processes, but it is utterly reckless of us --the collateral damage-- to consider such a situation normal. These protectors and guardians of the planet, so-called, are the biggest threat to security and peace going.

Russians don't have access to independent news. Putin has killed or intimidated those journalists brave enough to try.

When you exist in a bubble of disinformation, it is almost impossible to process events rationally. Don't expect any significant opposition to conflict if it does come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe that's what Putin thinks about the Germans, but wait until he squeezes the pipeline, and Germans start to suffer, you will see German politicians pointing the blame fairly and squarely at Mr Putin.

One completely fundamental difference: Biden is the elected leader of a democracy (and behaves as such) whereas Putin is a kleptomaniacal autocrat who exercises absolute power with brutality.

We should never, ever draw equivalences between the two.

It's a few years since it was particularly funny to watch. So predictable with the slight shifting and use of weasel words. If the Russians take over the entire 2 "breakaway" regions (which are only partly occupied for now) then they'll claim it's not an invasion even as they expand their area of control. If you suggest it's an invasion they'll come back with "But YOU said the Russians were already there so how can it be an invasion?". If the Russians take the 2 regions, get an outpost/foothold to do the same again in a few years and airstrike Kiev it'll be "That's not a full invasion, a lot of the population never even heard gunfire!". It's just gone beyond a joke at this point and this site is letting itself down by allowing it to continue.

• Advertisement

And again 'Russia and China apologism'....this is tiresome!

I suppose if one lives in countries constantly destabilised by US nefarious direct and proxy interventions then one may have a different viewpoint than your Western-centric blindspot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement