Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has Brexit made a difference to the prospects of Chinese students attending UK universities? I mean, have they changed anything which was not previously possible while part of the EU?

I also note the article refers to applications only, I'd assume applications from China have a much lower rate of turning into actual attendance than EU.

I see that article says that EU students is well down but is still the biggest overseas market. How much scope is there for Chinese students to replace EU students should numbers from the EU continue to drop given the distance and cultural differences involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Chinese might get a few places that won't be taken by EU students but in reality it's nonsense just like every other Brexit "win/bonus" article Salon posts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They didn't just want to stop freedom of movement. They wanted to be able to turn the taps on and off as they saw fit, allowing indentured serfs in to do the jobs they didn't want to do and be jolly grateful as well. Turns out migrants don't have to work in a country that doesn't make them feel welcome after all.

They also believed they were in such a position of power over the EU that ending freedom of movement would only happen one way and they could continue unimpeded to the Costas

Lol yeah the gentleman from NI next to me in the queue at Berlin airport, arguing with the German immigration officer and asking for his black passport back was fairly taken aback too ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doesn't speak to regret but a recent poll before Christmas demonstrated a definitive souring on the subject of Brexit. A majority opining that it had gone badly; now whether that might cause a switched vote were the referendum rerun, the poll doesn't say. And maybe those dissatisfied merely believe in governmental incompetence, rather than a switch of view on the concept of leaving the EU in the first place. Either way, the evidence of popular support seems thin. It's going to take more than the promise of some rich Chinese buying their degrees to fix the problems facing the country. Few countries are improved by more blocks to free trade with your nearest, and biggest, trading partners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. They were more than happy to avail of free movement when it came to creating Benidorm-style ghettoes on the continent.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Think we're in a different (more cynical and depressing) world now to that "golden era" that Conservative party used to claim was dawning as regards UK relations with China. The only thing UK universities will get out of taking on loads more "sophisticated and intelligent" Chinese students is future headaches and pain. They might get the money short term (and maybe that is all that matters!) but it won't be worth it IMO as I believe some have found out.

They'll be accepting risk that anything important such students contribute to science and the economy in the UK or indeed anything useful they can get their paws on if they are phds etc. doing research in a cutting edge area will likely be obtained free of charge by the CCP + funnelled to Chinese companies and their military industrial complex if it is of economic benefit and/or has some military application.

Even avoiding that risk, they make a major revenue source (foreign student fees) very dependent on the whims of the Chinese govt. while UK/China relations seem to be on a downward spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i think posts like the above are not very balanced , australia is also not that welcoming to foreigners but they have no problem to fill their positions, i guess its rather unlikely that in the near future the uk will not fill the slots it needs , and they can change the regulations the way they want it.

of course nobody will come for just 3 month unless they pay flights, find accommodation etc , but if they where to give 2 year contracts the people would still come from certain eu countries.

and this certainly is one of the drawbacks of the free movement that salaries and working conditions lorry drivers have been lowered massively in countries like germany and uk. so i guess there will be only few uk lorry driver with brexit remorse and builder employees as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The wages angle is a mad one in general. Wages are going up - supply and demand. Now if there's not enough workers and the UK grant visas for those roles, then supply increases which will put pressure on wages again.

• Advertisement

Another way to look at it is that the UK is now competing with Australia for the best EU talent looking to move to an English speaking country. Previously a highly qualified individual from a European country where English is only a second language might have looked at the hassle that is getting into Australia, the US etc. and just moved to Britain. Now the hassle of getting into Britain will equal that of Australia....but Australia is sunny and doesn't have a reputation, in Europe at least of being xenophobic and unwelcoming.

Oh and the lorry driver doesn't live in a vacuum. His wages might be bolstered by a shortage in his profession but guess what, there are going to be shortages in most professions and wages will be under upward pressure across the board. So Mr. Lorry Driver earns more but now he has to pay more for his breakfast roll and everything else he consumes. The UK economy as a whole is starved of labour and does not grow as it would have relative to the other comparable EU economies around it which will, eventually, lead to the pound losing even more value, making the entire population collectively poorer. There is no way to get around the fact that no government immigration system can be as dynamic as freedom of movement was. Production will suffer and with it GDP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

I saw Sammy Wilson looking like a duck in thunder this evening...I think he might be enjoying some Brexit benefits of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Sammy was shook looking after that disaster with Jim Allister in Markethill last night. Surely the DUP must be regretting pushing for Brexit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't understand how you can rationalise away or ignore the huge holes in your argument though.

Immigration: Illegal immigration continues unchecked. Legal immigration is down, emigration is up. Brain drain. Labour shortage.

Rapid Rebound: Followed worst decline in 300 years. There is not a single economic indicator (don't argue with %, argue with real numbers) that shows Britain is in any way better off as a direct result of Brexit. Maybe better off in some respect, but not related to Brexit, or in spite of Brexit.

Cost free TCA: Many, many costs, red tape, customs check, bureaucracy, NIP, etc etc etc.

Also, to counter the usual argument of "well no one though the benefits would happen overnight", no one though there would be so much friction and uncertainty, with so many negatives. I get that the 2016 pro-Brexit promotion was as accurate as Y2K or the 2012 end of the world, but I can't understand how anyone in 2022 can say Brexit was a good idea, unless they have personally benefitted in some way.

Y2K fears were accurate. The world just did enough to prepare for it. Like you could just test it on any computer system by changing the date and seeing everything fail. There was no maybe about it.

Now, it would be politicised, and people like salonfire would say that computers still working and being able to book flights like before is a clear benefit of Y2022.

The next one is in 2038 when 32-bit systems stop working. Even embedded systems like ABS in a car, or an alarm system in a house, could fail. Try to change the date in your Android phone now and it won't let you set it past 2037.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Just to clarify, I'm comparing the hysteria and nonsense comments on Y2K, power stations would turn off, planes falling out of the sky etc, to the nonsense statements that Brexit was sold on, we hold all the cards, easiest deal in history, no downsides at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Just watched an excellent lecture: Brexit: What Have We Learned So Far? - YouTube

Some interesting insights:

• Immigration - Consensus is generally that it is under home control and therefore no longer an issue. Made interesting point on how "unusual" free movement actually is.
    • The wealth disparity in the UK equals the EU as a whole (which is extreme): Made the point if the wealth disparity narrowed as a result of Brexit, then it could make up for the loss in GDP for the majority of the less well off.

Unbiased and with an excellent delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The wealth disparity is very unlikely to narrow considering the whole brexit project was pushed by the wealthy elite figures like Crispin Odey who stood to gain a ton of money from Brexit happening and then being as hard as possible. And then dont forget you have figures like Mogg actually in Government on one hand pushing for brexit while on the other hand moving his businesses and money out of the country along with doing similar market bets as Odey to make a ton off the negative impacts. There is no way under a Torey government the wealth disparity will do anything but get larger and then if even Labour get in they will still be outside the EU so any progressive moves made can just be undone by the next Torey government with a pen stroke which was the core idiocy of Corbyns anti EU brexit fence sitting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Immigration was always under control of the government, they simply chose not to enforce the rules available. But, one of the costs of trade deals with India, for example, will be increased Immigration.

Also, if Immigration is under control why the constant need to worry about a few dinghys coming from France?

As for the wealth gap, yet another hoped for benefit that gas no actual details and no timescale. Lots of ifs, as is usual.

What is very clear is that for many, Brexit really was primarily about getting rid of foreigners. Dressed up as taking back control and freedom to trade but it is amazing how often control of Immigration is the top of any list of benefits.

It seems any price is worth paying to keep Johnny Foreigner out of GB.

I wouldnt say he is unbiased when his whole starting statement blames the EU for all problems surrounding the negotiations. He straight up lies about the EU demanding a 2 year maximum leaving period and thinks the EU where wasting everyones time by having the cheek to treat NI as important.

He claims that immigration was not ever talked about in the 2017 and 2019 elections but thats utter b@lls. Both elections were totally centred around "getting Brexit done" and the FOM policies of the major parties was a huge point of discussion.

Disparity in the UK has absolutely nothing got to do with being in our out and the UK could always have tackled this but dont want to and nothing suggests the gap will close any time soon.

He also doesa lot of blaming of people who were not to blame. He throws out the usual its Labours fault the Tories made the decisions they made and throws in a little slide show also blaming Starmer, Sturgeon and the Lib Dems.

There is a lot of good stuff in the lecture but any chance to give his opinion or slant on things shows his biased position on Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Would they though ?

Jim Allister is from the TUV and he got a rousing reception, and the TUV are definitely pro Brexit.

The reason the DUP were getting abuse is because they have not yet got rid of the protocol yet, not because they support Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you might well be right... but so far the pound has become stronger , which i dont understand ..and inflation in uk is at eu average level so right now it is a vaccuum for the uk lorry driver.ie a 2021 and 2022 brexit benefit and i guess what you will see is that lorry drivers salaries for instance in germany will go down as there will be more easter european drivers. that might be good for the german ecconomy but not good for working standards of lorry drivers, which quite frankly speaking are super tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Y2K fears were accurate. The world just did enough to prepare for it. Like you could just test it on any computer system by changing the date and seeing everything fail. There was no maybe about it.

Indeed.

Very many IT systems were affected by Y2K, some important ones very badly.

But we - IT people by the millions world wide - did something about it. Testing, proof reading, correcting, and certifying/demonstrating Y2K ability. Not just programs, but often dates in the databases needed conversion too. Large databases not least on mainframe systems took 'forever' to convert. Much logistics in planning and applying Y2K fixes in such systems.

Y2K went fairly well due to the potential problems being taken seriously well before Y2K arrived.

Personally I had only one project which had a minor Y2K problem as Y2K had been considered by designers and programmers since mid 1980's, but programmers in the group I was part of went nevertheless through all systems and checked (and found some unrelated bugs)

We even had computers set up for final testing (from sometime in 1998) with time set forward to 1999-12-31 and then running for a day or more. IIRC we actually did a monthly closing on forward time "2000-1-31 on one critical system).

Lars :)

PS! We also had customers using Y2K planning/testing purely as an excuse for business trip(s) abroad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think the pound is stronger. Are you sure you are not just looking at the rebound after it's massive fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

Basically,as I understand it there was a unionist anti NIP rally in Markethill where Sammy got heckled by the crowd.....he wasn't let speak, crowd accused DUP of botching Brexit process (rightly so imo - instead of losing the region business they could have worked towards making it prosperous and essentially have the best of both worlds, although in fairness Brexit England was never going to let that happen).....

Jim Mc Allister had to step in to carry on, there was a really quite beautiful shot of a bemused stunned looking Sammy Wilson standing beside a car looking for all the world like a lad that just had the souffle collapse on him...

I know it's nothing to be too proud of but I found it immensely satisfying that at least some of the purely ideological decisions made by the DUP on behalf of people they seem to have screwed are coming back to bite them, sort of like an oven ready brexit chicken coming home to roost....it would be funny if it wasn't so potentially serious but its nice to see arrogance/hubris/zealotry exposed for what it is or at least some of its main proponents with egg on their face and people that deserve the blame get it....gives me hope that the ERG etc might eventually be turned on when people over there realise that shooting yourself in the foot is never a great idea.

He forgot the biggest rule imo.....try not to mess with people's bottom line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

About 30s in the heckling starts, switch at around 08:40 (benefit of smartphones is most things are on Youtube with in 24h :P )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sterling's rise is related to interest rises already acted out or promised. In Apr 2015, it was 70p = €1, now it is 83.3p = €1. In March 2020, it was over 90p = €1.

Brexit has cost it a lot - a bit more than 10% depending when you measure from. It is very volatile - and has been for the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

To be fair, he didn't get into Labours part in Brexit until after he had spent time explaining that Brexit divisions were not typical left / right politics and he didn't go easy on May and Boris either. He also highlighted some areas in which he expected negotiations to take time (the money) which in the end didn't (because the UK effectively gave into the EU demands / numbers).

• Advertisement

He certainly wasn't a dogmatic ardent Brexiter but for someone who was representing a non partisan think tank I thought he was a bit opinionated.

There is certainly nothing he said that should be seen as a positive for Brexit.

Advertisement