Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

NATO offensive may be launched from Romania?

I'm seeing a huge increase in military traffic over the Country. Currently KC-135, C-130 and Beechking signals aircraft airborne. Yesterday, 4 f-16's were airborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

I haven't changed I still believe a full invasion is likely but taking the Donbas is also an invasion as I said. Or any other part of Ukraine for that matter.

As for proof of red flags, Ukraine said yesterday that the incidents were by Russian secret service , so by your own logic that should be enough since you take their quotes so seriously.

But to go further Putin has made claims of Genocide in Donbas of Russians with zero evidence. And evacuated people from there claiming Ukraine are poised to attack with zero evidence. They also released a video of an attack supposed to be from yesterday which was uncovered to have been filmed from two days ago. This in combination with the Duma recognising Donbas as a legit Republic all makes it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

And of course, as the Americans know full well, strong economic ties are one of the key strategies to avoid major wars. A big part of the reason why institutions such as the EU even exist.

Which begs the question, why would you want to do the opposite when dealing with a nation as potentially dangerous as Russia?

Even if you believe Putin and Russia are bad actors in the world, attempting to cut them adrift and isolate them, would appear to be a very foolish objective that puts everyone's security at risk. Surely we already have enough hostile rogue isolated states in the world, that are angry at the west?

But then we're talking about America here. A country that tried to get rid of terrorism, by going in and sh!tting all over the arab world with their illegal wars.

It's like no matter how many times they make these mistakes, they never learn a single lesson. But hopefully here in Europe, we can wise up and not follow their lead on this.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Must say,it's almost amusing to watch RT coverage today of the clearing of the Ottawa truck protests

Apparently Trudeau is a dictator and it's an affront to democracy...

RT has no self awareness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

You are quoting Tucker Carlson on Fox News. That man is a round-the-bend, conspiricist Trump supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

This sort of propaganda has been force fed to Russians daily for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,939 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Russia would never invade if the US, EU, UK all made it clear that they would protect Ukraine through military action. Instead they have walked away, and made it clear to Putin he has a clear path.

The pro-russian posters just want to put distance on the thread between posts showing that Western Countries have in concert now hardened their position and identifed a list of responses which will have dire consequences for Russia while avoiding the need for boots on the ground.

If Russia do invade there is no certainty they will succeed to hold ground captured and even if they do it will be a pyrrhic victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Tucker Carlson has no place in a rational discussion.

• Advertisement

Also Tulsi Gabbard who is on that clip is a stooge for Russia and Assad, as well as the fascist RSS in India. She is a professional chaos agent, similar to Glenn Greenwald in the way she operates. She has become hated by Democratic voters and didn't bother running to retain her House seat in Hawaii in 2020 because she would have lost the primary. Do not be surprised to see her re-emerge in the near future as a full on Trumpist Republican. Whatever her "values" are, they are definitely not the values of freedom, democracy and truth.

What worries everyone is Russias 6500 nuclear warheads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I believe we will if it comes to it and I'd welcome any Ukrainian refugees coming this way. Sure we're halfway up **** creek with housing and cost of living but given our past it would be wrong not to.

You can not sell oil, gas and natural resources to Customers who are dying of radiation poisoning. The nuclear threat rings hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

What is it it people here that they can't reply without spinning or inferring meaning I simply stated that the rhetoric had hardened and that was linked to the US stepping up their rhetoric, tge West needed to be seen to be united even if they all have their own competing interests. I made no comment about puppets FFS....

I've seen Irish people parroting the line that Trudeau is a "tyrant" while simultaneously maintaining that Putin is a grand fella.

Imagine how round the bend you'd have to be to believe this.

Jesus Christ that is some amazing reading comprehension you have. Where did I say that?

I pointed out that democracies don't rely on "majority rule", but that a passionate minority (especially in tandem with a large cohort of disengaged people) can rise to power through the system.

The Nazis in 1932 got 37.3% on 84.1% turnout or 31% of the electorate when they got in. By having a flabby "middle" and the commies (and Jews and the rest) to target they were able to completely take over. Putin's party doesn't even need to pretend to win a majority of the votes to still claim a majority of seats. Boris won with about 29% of the electorate voting for his party in 2019 yet you'd think he has all the power and mandate imaginable. Less than a quarter of the eligible population voted for Trump in 2016 yet he got it.

I mentioned the US as a contrast to multi-party places (which are usually PR because otherwise smaller parties die off), and was using "multi-party" as a better system. But it still is nowhere near perfect as seen above with Germany in the 30s. Or in contentious places people may not take seats. I was making the point that even in a democracy it doesn't take majority support for a government to do something.

Even in our PR system we can see some weaknesses. If you have a party (SF) who no-one will get in government (for now) but have large support then you're stuck with parties who ran against each other going into coalition. It's messy and it barely works but nowhere, **** nowhere, did I suggest anything along the lines of Russia's tinpot governance would be better than what we have.

Democracy is always under attack and needs to be properly protected, especially from within because it doesn't take 50%+1 of the population to hand over huge amounts of power to one person or one group.

But eh yeah, your reading valid too I'm sure.

@MFPM : You, MFPM, are accusing me of spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's funny how certain posters bigging up Putin taking on Nato are now saying that they want to see peace as long as it involves ukraine been smashed by russia,

True,but do we know whats going on in Putins head?He can invade neigbours and poison critics and opponents,what stops him from using nuclear weapons if he feels threatened and as a last resort.

• Advertisement

Good for you, I've always tried to live a bit more of an objective existence myself, thus I don't have the blindspot you have...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He did have a little rant about nuclear war last week

Indeed but I suppose CNN never mentioning Palestine and NBC ignoring illegal bombing raids by the US financed Saudi war machine in Sanna lack the same self awareness but that's OK in your book because well it's the US...the defenders of democracy and freedom!

i saw that clip and he looked like he even didn't believe himself. It is probably exasperating to hold what is deemed "power" in the form of nuclear weapons and know you can't exploit it and know that others know that you can't exploit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I'm quoting a former democrat presidential candidate, Tulsi Gabbard, who is speaking far more sense than many of the bloodthirsty warmongers in her own nation. I don't care what show she's talking on.

We need more people talking common sense, and pulling back from all of this irresponsible hyperbolic war rhetoric. We need diplomacy to win out here, not war. Nobody wins if this turns into a major conflict.

"In a war, it's not about who's right... it's about who is left"

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

TBF, similar propaganda about Europes demise was force fed to most of the UK during and after the brexit vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Sky News reporting just now (but stressing not yet confirmed) that Russian Special Forces and Russian Separatists have now entered Donetsk.

If confirmed likely to be a huge provocation ploy by Russia? The question then is how much more before the war button is actually pressed?

• Advertisement

Ha! you are so busy trying to spin a narrative that you have lost all self-awareness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement