Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

"youd think the lads who bought them 2 years ago and are killing them now would be going mad for them again fair profit in that scenario youd think with not a huge outlay day one" - Surely this is how an open market works, its sets its own price and obviously there isn't a massive margin for lads doing it because if there was there'd be more lads looking to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Dairy

Seen an article recently where it said that 80% of farmers at calf to beef 5 years ago are no longer at it. Obviously not a lot out of it when the numbers are cruched.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Pit decided to come a bit closer to the cows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

There is definitely no money made out of keeping calves if you have to sell before fattening .You have leeches around the ring like a certain small beef finisher who posts on this site looking to buy for half nothing .The margin is tight at the best of times but when you have the mindset of buyers at the mart only interested in bargains, unless your able to keep until finishing its a fools game .I would get E300-350 for wh calves but they would be 8 -10 weeks old but aint doing that this year as I dont have anything extra in my pocket then if I sell them at 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Ball park figure of 25 euro plus a week to keep a calf atm ….I know someone else posted but so right sell them beef calves as lads seem to have an a full horn for them on line and around the ring and hold the Fr bulls till end summer /autumn if you can ….I’d certainly keep the calves if I could but the system is working against me with nitrates .cows are my bread and butter and I’m not destocking them atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭straight

You're not leaving much out of 25 euro per week for the lad feeding them.

Sure look, calves are a disaster for everyone I guess. But I just think the fr bull gets unfairly targeted Vs Angus or Hereford.

Everyone knows farmers never made much money at what they were at be it beef, tillage or dairy. It sickens me to see the way the dairy farmers have been singled out and cheer leaded as being highly profitable and by the same people that say that fr bull calves should have money tied to his tail to make him viable.

Already people call for highly profitable dairy farmers to be excluded from TAMs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Is it just ambitious farmers you don't like or ambitious people in any line of business? Like for example, do you refuse to do business with any company with more than 1 working there because they decided to expand when the opportunity arose?

Such a stupid comment. Well done. If you knew anything about me or my family you wouldn't make such a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I was replying to this comment. So apologies, I take it you and your family have had to work hard to get to where you are now, so why the constant snide comments against fellow farmers trying to do the same? Is 150 cows too many, or is it above 200, 300? What is your magic number where you don't make smart comments about them? Are you taking into account how many wages are being taken from a farm, how many successors there might be etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A farmer took a group of fr bulls here this evening, said he back for more next week. Wonder how long will shipping be held up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I had a suckler come for one this afternoon to replace a calf that died on him, left with six, I was delighted

Ye I had 2 suckler farmers in the last week, nearly asking do they want 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Have guy coming Monday that buys ours for shipping

awful backlog now, all the shippers are only taking a few from every farm to take the pressure off and not have a massive load of calves going at once

I think your definition of ambition may be different to mine.

Ya, I find some of the dairy heroes annoying with their BS and the way they have over hyped the sector. I believe they have harmed it beyond repair for the genuine family farm while being cheered on by vested interests who are only interested in their own gain.

What are they giving do you know? Lad who took calves here this evening gave 50 each. He said he looked at other calves and their navels weren't healed, 10 euro each the farmer wanted

i didn’t ask but he’s usually fair I’ve found and I’ve been through a fair few dealers here

I don’t really know what to expect for them tbh. They’re fine calves but there’s so many of them out there atm due to none being shipped I’d say he can’t pay a whole lot for them

I’d have 30 around the 3 week mark

Was looking at a calving on the camera at 4 am this morning. Head out but didn't seem to be much more happening. Got up at 4:15 to see there was only one leg. Handy enough to push the calf back in, straighten the leg and the calf slid straight out. A lovely Albert fr heifer off a Perseus mother. A star of the future for me hopefully. You'd never be sorry for getting up really I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Been on and off hoping for a red with a few years. Bought a lovely red cow last year. Had a Conan Pp (black and white) maiden heifer last year who we put in calf to Pivotal who seems to be throwing reds if there’s any hint in the background. Calved today - black and white heifer calf! All healthy but frustrating ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Got a visit from L214 last night. A note pinned to the chicken house door condemning factory farming…even though it’s empty with over a year!

Another note on the bulk tank condemning intensive dairy that produces antibiotic laced milk. Tested the milk in the tank for antibiotics in case they had fired in antibiotics but it was clear. Cops couldn’t have given two fcuks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Nothing like storms to bring on calves. Passed the half way point now, next 10 days should see the burst passed, then 6 weeks more for the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Getting quiet a few cows with very sore eyes any idea what might be causing this or is it a contagious infection or something. There not sick but very uncomfortable and unsteady because there sight is affected. Had a couple before and the vet told us put tubes in the eye which cleared it up.

I put antibiotic tubes in the eye of 3 yesterday but 2 more with sore eyes this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Family story of a grand uncle who during the civil or independence war had a note pinned to a monkey puzzle tree outside the household warning he would be shot signed the IRA.

Himself and his brother shifted very quickly from wexford to Belfast.

Your post just reminded me of that again.

May the baxtards have no luck. Phuckers. Tramps.

Are you feeding round bales. You need to cut the plastic a day or two before you feed them to leave the gas out.

Few spots here and there not too bad but could be a factor maybe.

Ye feeding round bales, they would be opened and fed out straight away, never heard of that before but everyday is a school day. Would you cut of the whole end of a bale or just put a slit in the plastic?

Chances are it could be that or mould on the bales so.

That's it. I slit the bales a few days in advance just to leave the gas escape.

OK thanks for that, I'll give that a go and I'll be a bit more fussy about any spots of mould aswell. Hope that might solve it.

• Advertisement

We had it earlier in the year when feeding bales, finished bales and they cleared up

Advertisement