Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You mean that the situation with Covid actually changed over time? No way, I don’t believe you!

You mean when the rate of infection varied and subsequent diagnosis, treatment and vaccination and other various measures changed or were adapted? Fcuk that, we can't be having that type of fluidity at all!

Let's all instead demand a permanent state of affairs where nothing changes despite the world being faced with a once in a lifetime pandemic. That should show 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Covid policy has been largely governed by the public opinion poll, which is a terrible way of sampling the public opinion, because it is impulsive and narrow. It is one reason why countries don’t have rule by direct democracy and instead have parliamentary system, which normally allows for taking a long term view, second thoughts and allows for consideration of multiple of factors.

What we have had during the pandemic is that politicians colluded with so called experts and media, and scared the public into compliance. Then they sampled public opinion that was terrified by misinformation only to discover (surprise, surprise) that people supported more mandates. And away they went. The more misinformation, the more terrified the public, and the more mandates introduced.

It is not surprising to see that people are reluctant to let the masks go. This misinformation-terrify the public-more mandates cycle went on for months and so reversing this process will take years I’d say. Wearing mask and social isolation are means that every individual can apply in their own environment and I would expect that a lot of those people who have been warned that they are vulnerable and therefore at risk will continue to apply those measures long after all mandates are gone.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

As we come into the final week of legally being made to wear masks, those clinging onto them should remember that we all went shopping for months in 2020 without them and we coped just fine.

Will be interesting to see how long the perspex screens stay up. Will finally be able to properly hear the sales assistant again.

• Advertisement

After the mandate is lifted those clinging onto the masks will be a good indication as to how many people have been made scared and terrified by the government, ‘experts’ and media. We will see how big of a problem this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

What's with all these quotes at the end of posts. Is this a new thing on boards. Seems a bit naff to me but each to their own.

Masks check ✔

Scared check ✔

Clinging check ✔

Mask Moan Bingo Check ✔

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Do you know the official reason why mask usage was mandated?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

To placate all the covid worrying, do-gooder, virtue signalling, curtain twitchers who take their masks off in the pub but will force you to wear one at work the next day perhaps?

• Advertisement

Playing mask moan bingo as well!

Another totally and utterly obsessed with curtains and people who might twitch them. What happens when these people don't have curtains?

Fromyour comment I can only presume you have someone in your life that that is so mean to you, that they deliberately taunt you by taking off their mask in the pub in front of you (where they don't have to wear one tbf), hold you down and then Force you wear one while you're working? Your boss, your ma?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

As all the measures are wound down the reality is many people are upset at this as the pandemic measures suit them and their lifestyle

work from home, public sector union power grabs, pc wokey nonsense given oxygen

the reality is the last 2 years has been a complete disgrace that has affected the poorer and young in our society. We chose to protect the wealthy and old over children and society will pay this within a generation

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Moaning is what I do best, closely followed up by standing too close to people in queues, breathing on them 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No you don't but I find answers tend to propose solutions.

You might want to take a look at how much of a crank you've become yourself about masks. There's the NPHET advice, a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday and an end date. I think that works fine for most people but keep up the outrage if you want. Shopping this morning and nobody seemed to be too bothered to throw off their masks, it's just what we do now but we won't be doing it come Monday week. More interested in looking ahead to plans for the year than masks now I know they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's grand. Personally I think yet another delay after 18 months of them (when it became clear in the summer of 2020 who in the population was ACTUALLY at potentially significant risk) is too long.

The fact that so many seem to be declaring that it's too soon, cases are still high etc and now want to ignore the NPHET advice they've been brow-beating others with over the last 2 years (I think a previous poster had it right that it's more about losing their WFH lifestyles in some cases as well) means that it's even more important we move out of the restrictions and attending coverage quickly and fully so that these people will hopefully start to relax and rejoin normal society. The mental health impact of all this can't be ignored.

But ultimately I was replying to your post about "processes to follow" as well (hence the delay) which is just factually wrong. It could all be reversed and undone Tuesday night (or even last night if they'd wanted). Presumably Micheal and Co think that giving the "concerned" types another week to get used to the idea will help whereas in fact it's likely the opposite will happen as the Big Day gets closer!

• Advertisement

masks have never really bothered my that much other than the fact that i can only manage to keep it on for 10 minutes at a stretch. I just cannot breathe in the fcuking thing. What pisses me off though is mandating masks in schools and forcing children to wear them all the time there. That is on top of keeping the windows constantly open in the class throughout the day. There is virtually zero medical and health benefit to kids wearing masks and sitting in cold and breezy classrooms. The only people who might have benefited from this, in theory at least, are the teachers (perceived safety and all that malarkey).

The whole education system has become all about the teachers and not about the kids. When you throw unions on top of that you have an organisation that will never progress and adapt to modern times. Not to mention that unionising a public job is laughable concept to begin with. As if the public job was not safe and secure, and regulated already and needed unions to ensure that. What a joke.

Post edited by walus on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would certainly like to, can you show me or link for me the official government statement on why masks were mandated?

Not who, when or where, but why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Have you got anything to contribute yourself? We’ve had loads of you edgelord types on here so you’re nothing new.

I'm curious how you can tell the difference between those who wear them because it is mandatory and those who just aren't bothered about it? Is it something in the eyes?

It is rather inane to say that some people aren't bothered so what is the rush, but regardless, it is yet another example of Irelands pandemic response which could largely be defined by "people unaffected by restrictions telling those who are affected to stop moaning".

I am required to wear one at times and beyond I don't have much of an opinion on other people's motivation around masks. My point about the shopping is that people were all continuing to do what they have done.

Unless I am badly wrong, masks are still mandatory in retail so of course they continue to do what they have done, they still have to.

You said that people in shops weren't bothered about it, thats expressly an opinion on other peoples motivations, and its an opinion that begs the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the confusion was is_that_so saying "throw off their masks" I think it was meant to be "throw on their masks" otherwise it reads a bit weird (i went into a shop with a mask on and then threw off my mask), apologies if I picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

The fear mongering was shoved down our throats by NPHET and the government.

Now they're sending out conflicting messages to people. I have always stuck to the rules and I am also triple vaccinated but I have to admit that I completely lost trust in them.

Why don't they just come out and say that they got it wrong, the Omicron virus is harmless and we let it run through the population now?

I would have more respect for them instead this faffing about....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Advertisement

It was stated so many times for over a year. You haven't seen or notice.

Advertisement