Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Don't hype it too much! For all we know, it could dethrone DS2 as the "worst" in the series (even if DS2 was inevitably still the best game of 2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Too late man, the hype train has already left the station. I have been ignoring a lot about it and usually for a game in really hyped for, i want to soak in as much info as possible but this, I'm happy to just be completely surprised.

I think you're better off doing that. I'm looking forward to Starfield this year, but I'm not engaging with the speculation or news.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,031 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What class are people going for first?

I'm going Faith as I've basically played strength, Dex and magic on the From Games so want to try something different.

I always say I'll go with something different but always go with Knight Sword and Greatshield, always have a lot of fun with that build. Think it's one of the reasons i didn't like Sekiro.

• Advertisement

Demon Souls was my most recent souls game and I'd a Meat Cleaver character on the run. Just pulverised enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I always go for the big smashy-smashy character first, usually because the systems around magic-type builds can often be pretty complex and a lot more based around finding key items or particular strategies to be really effective.

At least with strength builds, I just know to find a big thing and hit things with it. Usually capable of better armour and stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the hypeeee (should be nice timing when i am done with working on weekends...)

Saw this last night as well - a bit of spoiler obviously but i set the video to the conclusion part (so ya it is spoiler free for this part) in which he mentioned how he felt when he first saw ER (new DS), and then demo ER (open world DS) vs when he played the full game (very different from his previous expectations):

"This is a game that will shatter your expectations and you can't even imagine the actual scale and depth of it."

Pre-Ordered on Series X as there were 6000 rewards points for it. Install size is 49.04gb

Not sure if there will be a day one patch or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I see a lot of streamerz and "influencerz" and such playing Elden Ring right now somehow. While I try and avoid such things for games I anticipate, I think it's a really good sign that From software have let the game loose rather than trying to hide it until release date like other awful day 1 games like Cyberpunk. The game is ready and they are trying to flaunt it.

• Advertisement

New 6 minute game overview trailer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great trailer that. Only 5 days to go now.

https://youtu.be/TvuWn6KsGik

Vaati has a lore video up now as well.

I hope the story/lore is a bit more front and centre in this game, as opposed to being hidden in notes, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They always do this. They're pretty good with engaging streamers for publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Does anyone know anything about the co op aspect? Is it similar to previous souls or a little more mainstream, where you can jump right in with a group and head off to tackle the world together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I hope this is a little more accessible than their previous games. I really enjoyed Bloodborne and DS 1 but got stuck on both and don't have the time to keep being stuck on a boss. By time I come back to it after life stuff I've forgotten what I am supposed to do or how to beat a boss.

I saw a review that said magic is fairly OP and the reviewer felt that was done intentionally to give more casual gamers a way to progress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So how are folks going to be playing this, PC or console? Think I'll stick to PC and my trusty wired 360 controller. cdkeys have it for 45 quid atm on pre-order which seems decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Pre-ordered with Gamestop online as can’t see anywhere else taking preorders? Are the preorders sold out? Are Gamesstop taking preorders they won’t be able to fulfil on launch day?

• Advertisement

Weird how Smyths have 2 editions for 60, regular and launch editions, not can't preorder either. Hoping to go into smyths Friday morning for a ps5 copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I have been purposely avoiding anything to to with Elden Ring for the past 3 months. I want it fresh and spoiler free. Have the game pre-ordered with Gamestop so will pop in at lunchtime Friday to collect.

I am really worried about the difficulty of the game though, I have read it's toned down to reach a wider audience (save for one or 2 endgame bosses) - I hope this is not true. I personally hope the difficulty sits right between DS3 and Sekiro (Although, Sekiro eventually beat me with the extreme difficulty - It's not a hard game but the insane boss parry dances you have to remember were too much for me)

I cannot wait to get my hands on this game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

Souls games are just fighting though, with none of the stuff that makes good open world games good. What good open world game is there that only have fighting?

I submit that Souls games achieved perfection with Demon’s, a more linear approach suits the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Im a very casual gamer in comparison to some of the people around here and between work and kids, i simply dont have the time or the inclination to pour hours into "gitting gud" on the likes of BB but I am intrigued by this game. Interested to hear the thoughts of more casual players when it comes out to see if its something that isnt overly punishing. If it is, alas I wont waste my money on it but if its somewhat accessible to non hardcore players Ill give it a punt.

I'd say it partially comes down to having to account for an open world, and the different order some players might go through different areas. Sort of how with Demon's Souls some areas and bosses became fairly trivial because you could do most of the worlds in whatever order you wanted and you became overlevelled for later areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

The From games I’ve played (Bloodborne, Sekiro, Demons Souls) defy convention in that you’re not eased in at all, you’re thrown in the deep end and it can be overwhelming(Bloodborne originally put me off because I was thinking that if it was that difficult at the start then I had no hope as it goes on but it’s not like that at all), but once you’re through that first area progression becomes a lot less difficult. So it’s not really about “gitting gud”, more about “gitting through that first area”.

With Elden Ring I expect it to be the most accessible, mainly because the player will have more freedom to do something else if they’re stuck, but I still expect those first few hours to be some of the most challenging there is in the game.

Have it preordered for the PS5, the weekend can’t come quickly enough!

Yep, From games are about learning the games systems and learning what the game expects from you. The difficulty is way over blown by both the media and the marketing. You just have to have a little bit of patience but you get their eventually. The thing about these games is that even if one part is annoying you there is always somewhere else to try and then comeback to the part that annoyed you.

One of the most satisfying thing about From games is when replaying them finding how easy it is to get through parts that gave you so much trouble now that you know what the game expects from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Preordered on the weekend in Gamestop, traded in a game that was just sitting there and ended up getting 35 quid for it.

Roll on the weekend, its Friday this is available isn't it?

Will have to do a little homework on what class to pick to start with, then once they get battered and smashed in my initial foray, I can pick something useable and more successful

Advertisement