Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked doctor sues former employer for refusing to call trans-woman "she"

Options

Comments

I led you down a garden path which I definitely shouldn't have. But I stand behind every bit of what I said. I know you want someone to argue this notion of why breasts should/should not be called chests or something, and I'm the only one replying to you, so you would like me to do it. I don't believe for a second that anyone is attempting to replace the word breast with chest so I am not the right person to engage in that discussion with. You will have to try someone else. Enjoy your evening. I must go now prepare some chicken chests for my dogs dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes, go and enjoy your delusion that you’ve “led me down a garden path” ;) TBH, I’m enjoying even the thought of you feeling all superior right now. It’s simple pleasures, innit?

On another note, you have actually finally written something of substance to add to this thread, and have avoided insulting me to boot, so well done and thank you! And enjoy tenderising your chicken chests!

Yes I have.

So a trans woman is an adult human who identifies as an adult human, have I got that right?

Or does the "woman" in trans woman mean something else?

Well it clearly means more than just female. It can be used to describe other persons, such as trans woman, housekeeper etc etc. Language changes and evolves.

How you feel that kind of posting style will advance your argument, I’ve no idea.

I lost track of the thread with the comments about some men being able to lactate.. and somehow that related to a definition of what a woman is.

• Advertisement

Are you actually going to provide a definition?

It doesn't "obviously" mean anything if you can't.

I really should know better by now than to be engaging with that kind of thing, for sure. It’s a pure time-sink and not like anyone is going to change anyone else’s mind… But add access to boards.ie to a stormy, rainy weekend here in the west, and I do stuff with my time that would be better spent elsewhere…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fair play to the doctor. Not giving into a person's mental illness. Gender Dysphoria is a serious mental illness and needs to be treated as such.

Giving into the illusion does not help the patent at all. Kind of like telling an anorexic patient that they are fat just not to hurt their feelings.

Ah I'll help you out there. The point was that having titties is about as useful a marker of being female as having arms and legs is. Breast tissue is identical in both sexes and affected by the production of male or female hormones. The ability to grow boobs and lactate can occur in males due to particular conditions (also women who are neither pregnant or post partum can lactate as a result of the same conditions). Beard growth is a trait associated with being biologically male but under the wrong conditions can occur in women too. Same with pattern baldness, it can occur in either sex though more prevalent in one. These things therefore should not be used as a benchmark to define sex. There are things that can only happen in females, such as menstruation, and if this is the marker that a person wishes to use to define what a woman is, let them at it. The one and only point in explaining that men can experience lactation is to refer people back to that biology they keep harping on about.

The one and only point in explaining that men can experience lactation is to refer people back to that biology they keep harping on about.

So, you're in agreement that there is a distinctive difference, based on biology, between men and women.. and by extension, Trans people (who have sought physical change towards their desired gender).

How do you feel about the learned experiences we all gain, by living as our born sex, and the impact those experiences have on our personal development? Do you believe that an Adult male can transition to being "female", and switch their thoughts/personality/perspectives/biases etc away from being male, to being genuinely female?

TBH, I've gone through the last two pages (again), and while you've contributed quite a lot of posts, I actually don't know where you stand on the Trans topic.

• Advertisement

We're all in the same boat here. Most of us just love to argue/discuss topics... even when it ends in extreme frustration. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Things have definitely changed over the last generation or two. Back then, very few people would have had the balls to take on a doctor or accountant or priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

To be fair though, it was your example of the policy in a maternity hospital that broached the subject. And it was because of the hospital managements acknowledgement of people who do not identify themselves as women that the reason for the policy came about - not because men demanded it, but simply in order to encourage breastfeeding among women who identify themselves as men.

That’s in plain language without getting into the whole nitty-gritty of arguing about the politically correct term for chesticles that relies on stereotypes associated with women, something else which you’d rather wasn’t done, yet that’s exactly how science does it - classification according to characteristics associated with either one sex or the other.

Classification based upon the human reproductive system is just one of those systems of classification, that isn’t ordinarily used outside of a medical setting - it’s utility outside of that particular context is about as useful as suggesting that dictionary definitions should be considered as an objective standard by which to judge whether a person is entitled to be regarded as a human being or not if they don’t fit someone else’s already preconceived and limited idea of what should constitute either man or woman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy_(biology)

One of the reasons I can understand why the management of a maternity hospital would develop a more inclusive policy particularly around breastfeeding, isn’t just for political reasons, there’s sound medical reasons for doing so too, not the least of which is based upon the belief that ‘breast is best’ as opposed to formula feeding for new-born infants growth and development, for a couple of different reasons.

It’s a pain in the hole for women who don’t want to breastfeed though, and some midwives can be quite forceful about imposing the idea on women who have just given birth (because science says so, of course!). Not the kind of thing I’d be encouraging anyone to do as while there are benefits to breastfeeding, they’re not sufficient justification for guilt tripping any woman to breastfeed. That’s just imposing one’s own personal beliefs upon another person, because they can get away with it -

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44436686

If however, you choose to ignore the reality that <insert demographic here> are people too, because science, well then you can get away with all sorts, as scientists, medical practitioners, politicians and charlatans have been able to do throughout history. They weren’t going to let other people’s feelings get in the way of ‘scientific advancement’, a common way to refer to their own personal beliefs, as if their activities served some higher purpose other than themselves -

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190723-the-ethics-of-using-nazi-science

Men can only lactate in exceptional circumstances, as you have agreed with me before. Therefore I see the transwomen’s frustration as evidenced in the trans-movement trying to replace the word breast with chest (yes, I know you don’t have an inkling of it happening but it is - I supplied one link to it happening in a UK hospital setting but there are more) is borne out of their inability to lactate in the circumstances only women can. All this could have been discussed in a much more civil manner, way back in the thread, once I agreed with your first point, that namely men can lactate in exceptional circumstances. I wonder why you have decided to address where you’re coming from for klaz, yet were so unwilling to do that in the exchange with me? Because you don’t even believe that medical vocabulary is starting to be modified by dint of political pressure? It that it? :)

@OEJ: I lost track of which post of mine you could be referring to, but I think I was referencing the men who’d rather they were women, i.e. transwomen, throughout. If not, it was a glaring mistake. It is the trans-ideology that is being pushed into hospital settings. I’m well aware you disagree with me but frankly OEJ, I can’t keep up with either the volume of your output or your, IMO, off-the-wall views. No offence meant, carry on as you are! :D

At the risk of stating the blatantly obvious - women can only lactate in exceptional circumstances too.

I don’t know whether it’s that you’ve misread the example article you provided, but it doesn’t support your assertion that appeasing a tiny minority of men is what’s behind the idea at all, when it has been pointed out in the same policy, that they are referring to people who specifically do NOT identify themselves as women.

In any case, it’s misleading to suggest that anyone can lactate at will as though this was due to their sex, when in reality it’s a question of biology and is due to hormones, not simply due to the construction of the breast.

I have no issue with the idea that medical and scientific literature is influenced by politics. I’d be surprised if anyone thought it wasn’t.

Still a lot of nonsense picking apart the definition of "woman" based on female biology.

Still no alternative definition offered.

This never changes.

"Trans women are women. We just don't know what women are, so the slogan makes zero sense"

It's laughable

No, there is nothing exceptional about a woman lactating and breastfeeding. It’s just a function of a woman’s breast. So your obvious is not very obvious to me at all, but I’m sure you’ll find a way to run with that one regardless. Have at it.

Great we agree on politics in hospitals, except I feel there are some times where it should be fought against. Mislabelling breast as chest, I’m not willing to accept. Or being called a person with womb. It is a dumb and anti-factual denial of one of the main facets of the physical and psychological reality I inhabit, that of being a woman.

Unless being pregnant and breast feeding are constants in life, then they only lactate in exceptional circumstances

No offence taken, jaysis 😳

I know you were referring to men who want to be regarded as women, I don’t use the prefix ‘trans’ myself, I just keep it simple, I told you my brain hurts if I think too hard about these things, it really does, physically 😂

Aanyways, have to be brief now but the article you used as an example of your point, demonstrated not only the complete opposite, but also further bolsters your argument that women not be thought of as stereotypes! It’s not any trans-ideology being pushed in hospitals, but a recognition of reality which you’d rather hospital management ignore. They can’t do that, because it’s bigger than they are now.

They could do it in the past when they only had to deal with the individual, but now with easier access to information at their fingertips, and the likes of the Daily Mail publishing what appears to be whatever the fcuk they like, because people are lapping it up and aren’t checking their sources, you get the sort of nonsense situation where you’re going on about biology, womanhood, stereotypes, etc… and acting like it’s the world is gone mad! 😳

I would have suggested you relax and watch some Saturday Night Takeaway to take your mind off it, but I just switched it on there and it’s Ant and Dec doing a full show-stopper in drag… there’s probably something else on, but that’s put me right off 😂

• Advertisement

I am only as likely in my life to lactate as the average man is, but I am in no doubt of my biology.

Only a breastfeeding or post partum woman lactates - in normal circumstances. This “normal” denotes circumstances that are not exceptional or out of the ordinary. How you can get out of that women only lactate in exceptional circumstances is a feat of mental gymnastics. You might as well say: we are all born only once, it’s not constant - therefore how exceptional! Nothing exceptional about giving birth, being born, having sex (yes, even if not very constant!) or any other physiological process. Until we come to disease, injury, or other circumstances not accounted for by the ordinary (not exceptional) working of our physiologies.

Post edited by seenitall on

"having titties is about as useful a marker of being female as having arms and legs is."

In adults, it's significantly more useful. I'm beginning to wonder about your sanity to be honest.

Anyway just for the sake of argument what ARE good markers for being female? I assume you do actually understand that female biology exists?

Ah no, you know we disagree on this. What you consider reality I consider an ideological agenda encroaching on a hospital’s expressions of reality. It could be that you feel about the same about my views and are only too polite to state it. We can leave it at that, and as for Ant and Dec… nah! :D

I’m sorted with the Winter Olympics at the moment! (I keep recording stuff such as snowboard cross and keep trying to catch up - it gets pretty exhausting after a few days so I’ve been on boards.ie instead. Bad choice.😂JOKING)

Breast tissue is identical in males and females, it is affected by hormones produced in the body. How hard is biology to understand? This is junior cert level at best.

Only biological women can menstruate. Only biological males can produce sperm. Some biological females do not menstruate due to medical conditions, some biological males do not produce sperm due to medical conditions.

I am not sure what it is about quoting factual biology that makes you question a person's sanity - I thought people's sanity was in question for the opposite.

You don't believe there is anything exceptional to giving birth and breast feeding? I do.

it's something that some women may go through once or a few times in their lives. Therefore exceptional. I never suggested that it is not natural, it is obviously natural.

It is still an exceptional thing to happen.

A far more questionable feat of mental gymnastics is to suggest that by lactation, a person shall be known as woman. Personally I think there’s a lot more to women than just their ability to reproduce.

Can you see the effects that such a determination would have on women’s role in society? Because I can. Society has been there before, in Victorian times when it was asserted that as a consequence of their inferior biology, women should be confined to the home and have no place in public life.

There’s still plenty of that sort of idea influences society today and it’s undoubtedly political - some people see it as being for the benefit of society, other people do not, and have their own ideas about what is or isn’t beneficial for society.

You said that "having titties" was not a useful indicator of whether someone was female.

If you haven't noticed that men and women tend to have different shaped breasts then I really can't help you.

I have no idea what point you think you are trying to make.

Btw have you come up with a definition of woman yet?

• Advertisement

As I’ve said, it is a normal physiological process, such as, and no more exceptional, than having sex is. Do you think having sex is something exceptional? After all, it is also something some women can go through once or a few times in their lives. Therefore, exceptional?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement