Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Canada Convoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Aside from the fact that a highly committed minority, even if very small, can make a lot of waves and create a lot of change—The problem Trudeau has is that the Truckers' "demands" are reasonable. They are in a country with a higher vaccination rate than ours and a lower case rate than ours, and they are asking for an end to the vaccine mandates that are currently falling like dominoes around the world.

While some here would cheer for the bludgeoning of protestors whatever their cause, there are not many who, when reminded that what the protestors in Canada want is in fact what we currently have here, would not be given pause.

If Trudeau drops the mandates and other restrictions federally within a month or two, it will be readily apparent (even to those to whom it is not already) that he invoked emergency powers for the first time in his country's history and smeared generally peaceful protestors as Nazis and racists, simply because he could not abide being seen to "give in"—which is a terrible look for a leader in any free democracy.

And if the restrictions and mandates go on longer than a month or two, then he will be seen to be stubbornly holding onto them and infringing on the rights of Canadians more broadly in order to avoid proving the protestors right.

He is not in a good position at all, politically.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So it's okay to throw things at animals? I disagree.

Even Kurt Zouma realizes that's wrong now.

Geraldo being Geraldo has under cooked the books.

The vast majority (82%) say there is no way the protest in Ottawa should have gone on this long A vast majority (82%) of Canadians say that there is no way that this protest in Ottawa should've gone on as long as it has. Those in Québec (87%) are most pronounced on this view, followed by those living in Atlantic Canada (83%), British Columbia (81%), Ontario (80%), Manitoba/Saskatchewan (79%), and Alberta (77%). 

He is not in a good position at all, politically

He is currently not in a good position politically because the majority of Canadians believe he has been far too soft on the protests.

a majority (71%) are concerned that regardless of the issue, this is how protests may run themselves in the future – with trucks and rigs for hire to extract their demands

a majority (71%) say that regardless of their politics, they would vote for a strongwilled person to have enforceable law and order

simply because he could not abide being seen to "give in"

You've got it arsé over tít, he has refused to "give in" to the vast majority of Canadians and crush the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Hmm, interesting take i have to say. All evidence points to zero bikes being thrown by protesters yet you double down on the latest 'hot take' from your many Google searches tell you say.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Those lightweight aluminium frame bikes can do terrible damage to the bottom of a horses hoof.

But yet you were able to describe the bike in at least some detail. 🙄

I think the important thing is, it's not right to throw stuff at animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

I said i was in the middle therefore felt i could address both sides not interested in being lambasted for standing up for animals and disagreeing with the heavy handed tactics in Canada. Any civilised person would be able to see the police are being OTT and they could actually stop the whole thing by refusing to manhandle the protesters in an act of peace. Then trudeau would have only the army and they refuse to participate so stale mate and negotiation s would have to happen then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I had read last night that the woman died. Luckily she is ok. Are people really still going with the obvious lie that a bike was thrown at the horse? First of all, it's winter in Canada. No one is riding a bike. And secondly there is no evidence of a bike in any of the photos taken during and after the incident. It's the woman's mobility scooter and it wasn't thrown you absolute numpties. There's videos. Ottawa police are lying scum. Can anyone point out where the bike is in the photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

We are still waiting for your link to this bicycle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can ride a bike in winter. I've done it in Canada and it's done all over Scandinavia. I'm not debating whether or not a bike was thrown as I don't know either way I'm just saying you can cycle in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Authorities who use animals against humans are the ones who need to be blamed for any ill that befalls the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

The irony of a “leader” elected by an electorate calling the opposition Nazi supporters and fascists when he invokes emergency powers for a democratic protest is not lost on me.

Stealing peoples’ money when they disagree with you, taking their means of support for their families, coercing them into submission, is not democratic, it’s authoritarian!

anyone who stands up for over-reach of a government should be wary of what they wish for.

Martin Niemöller wrote that poem based on acts similar to this.

Shame on Trudeau …. Has he even talked to those he wants to destroy with words and innuendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes and the 'us vs them' mania is particularly inappropriate in this case since all that separates the two 'groups' is having taken a medicine or not taken it and everyone knows you can get covid either way - as well as Trudeau himself getting covid in the middle of this farce despite being double vaccinated and boosted.

And what are the truckers' demands? To be allowed to earn a livelihood. Wow that's dangerous right-wing subversion right there. What's next after people are allowed to hold down jobs?

So you instantly believe a woman had been trampled to death, but the police are lying about someone tripping a horse with a bike?

And yes you can ride a bike in winter, not in 3 foot of snow but even in the likes of Canada they clear the roads.

Hes using the emergency power without it even being passed. Parliament was suspended so it couldn't be debated. These are not the actions of a democratically elected leader

Well because I saw the evidence of the woman being knocked to the ground as a horse walked by. It's not that much of a stretch to think she might have died as a result, given that being trampled by a horse often results in death. Also I saw with my own eyes that there was no bike thrown and no bike in the vicinity in any of the photos. So I deduced that the police are lying.

But like all of us you are no where near Ottawa but the police are. Correct? So you have admitted to spreading fake news. Correct? But the cops that are actually there dealing with the situation are liars? 🙄

Anyway, apparently the guy who did it was arrested, he will have his day in court where evidence will need to be presented.

The Candians being the most placid Authoritarians on the planet will probably have his bike washed and handed back to him.

How is using it if it hasn't been passed? 🤔

All parties agree to suspend parliament because of safety concerns, it will be debated and voted on next week.

They are "standing up for animals"

Ottawa Police tweeted that they have rescued a dog that was abandoned in a vehicle on Wellington Street. They smashed the window and took the dog to a warm place in the care of the Ottawa Humane Society

Bloody Authoritarian Nazis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"And what are the truckers' demands? To be allowed to earn a livelihood."

They disallow to earn livelihood to big-pharma billionaires..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I know 'Link-less' boggles has me on ignore as there still is no evidence of any bicycle or a single protestor throwing anything in weeks of protests.

But how anyone can argue against video evidence, and then use the word "apparantly" to back himself up.

The bike i described wasn't thrown at a horse though. That's a fairly key point.

His father wasn't big on the aul democracy either. He was rather fond of a bit of dictatorship himself under the guise of communism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Will be interesting to see if Leo tries any of these tricks when he becomes Taoiseach again later this year...He's also one of the WEF Young Global Leaders and the last time he was in power was before Covid...it seems the pandemic was a trigger for all these WEF young leaders aka Trudeau, Ardern, Macron to start pushing against their populations

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tonium22

Shocking to see the Canadian people being brutalized

What's worse is the scum on this thread who cheer it on

The tide will turn

The people cheering this on better hope they never become a "designated person". Wtaf. How is any of this ok? They have said that they will look to put some of the measures in place permanently. Bet its these. The government can then seize the assets of anyone they disapprove of.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

This seems like a pretty prophetic article, 7 years later.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Yip. The government’s have control of citizens bank accounts and then we have an obedient population who will accept anything.

Schhhhhh , better not say “social credit” or “cashless slaves” just yet as I’ll be directed to CT forum by people who have problems joining dots to a picture almost fully complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Good god...he should have never been elected in the first place...seemingly he only got 20% in the last election but did something like a fffg deal to get back into power again...Canadians may well rue the day

Advertisement