Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

except the police have effectively been for sale for years given football clubs have to pay for the cost of policing the matches, so that precedent has been set.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Wrong again. It’s part of the police job to ensure the safety of the public. Policing requirements are decided on a game by game basis. Same goes for any public event. Horse racing, music festivals etc.

not wrong at all, it is well known football clubs have to pay the costs.

Incorrect. Anything in public is paid for by the state. Public order issues are police business. Football clubs do not pay for any policing in public.

Nope.

Your dedication to Harry and Meghan is admirable, but try researching facts before posting nonsense. There has to be a police presence at any large gathering. Even Royal Weddings. It’s their job. Simples.

• Advertisement

has nothing to do with what i actually said.

never said a police presence wasn't required at big events so i don't know where you are getting that from.

Read back on your own posts. You claim that soccer clubs pay the police to be in attendance. This is not so. It’s part of their job to be there.

Harry wants to hire them as his personal protectors. They’re not for sale. He can pay his private team. End of.

that's what i said, you claimed i said something else in your previous post.

no he simply wants the british tax payer to not have to pay for his police protection, which is a noble thing and i commend him on wanting that to happen.

he won't get that but he could be told the costs and then he can make a donation to a charity helping x police to the amount which will pay back the money in a round about way and everyone wins, he gets to feel he has payed the tax payer back and the government can claim the police are not for sale.

his status of being part of the rf and the likelyhood of there being a risk to him given people's inability to except he has left is likely going to mean he will get some sort of police protection, at least between the airport and wherever he stays, that is what i suspect anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

EOTR is kind of right with police at football matches…. The home club does pay a portion of the cost but not all of it.

• Advertisement

They make a small contribution to those who police inside the stadiums. It works out at roughly 4% of the overall cost.

Harry wanted to call the shots. It appears that he was chased by paparazzi when he was over for Diana’s statue unveiling.

According to this it appears it’s closer to 70% of the cost (4.8m out of a total cost of 6.6m)

To try show a full picture however, the below comments in Parliament in 2019 suggest the number is really closer to 12% of the total cost.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2019-06-04/debates/7FBCA7DA-C3B1-4CC1-8C3C-FFC9F31115E2/CostOfPolicingFootball

I don’t know which cost is more accurate, but one things for sure, they pay something (London clubs pay waaaaaay less tho)

There is precedent in the high court with Leeds taking the police to court over match day policing costs and winning. There are differences of course but I’d imagine this case has or will be raised by Harry’s counsel regarding public safety and the police requirement to ensure it. Harry isn’t a normal person and weather we like it or not, that has to be taken into account!

I would imagine that the big difference is Harry wanting to hire them as personal bodyguards, which is very different from football clubs, music festival organisers or horse race tracks wanting police on site for the safety of the general public.

Other senior members of the Royal Family don’t have round the clock police body guards. eg Anne and Edward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Saw this on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

end of the road,

This is incorrect, according to the details of the court case released on Friday. He didnt offer to pay when he took the court case. His PR people put that story out when the matter became public knowledge. Anyway it is a red herring because its not a service that can be paid for, and Harry knows this. This is entirely about getting something which they are not entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s been announced that the queen has tested positive for covid and is showing mild cold like symptoms. So that’s the reigning 95 year old monarch and the heir and his wife who have covid. So prince William is the next senior royal fit for duty. And yet his brother is in court over security that he’d get anyway given who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

He came over for the statue unveiling and it was the first time in his life that police weren't clearing traffic for him and not having a motorcade. It must have been a shock to his system, a bruising to his ego. Welcome to the real world Harry where sitting in traffic is a pain.

The PR statement released hastily after the case was made public was more patented pulling at heart strings and it's focus would be more towards their target audience stateside who would not be up to speed on the machinations of Royal protection. As such they will come away with the impression that Harry tried to pay but was denied to protect his family. The irony of him having a chair on a misimformation campaign as well. Funny how there are lots of Royals around the world "born into the risk" and they also have families they want to protect but they seem to manage just fine.

I hope Her Majesty makes a full recovery. It would be awful to lose her to Covid in her Jubilee year.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Funny how there are lots of Royals around the world "born into the risk" and they also have families they want to protect but they seem to manage just fine.

That's true, but there does seem to be a deep deep hatred for Harry and Meghan which other royals don't have. Partly brought about by their own actions but even before when they were the golden new couple in the royal fold there was still a lot of abuse online because she is mixed race and not British. That's only intensified since the Oprah interview kicked off their campaign to tell-all about the royal family. Possibly they are even more unpopular than Andrew. And that's saying something.

I'm not sure that Harry is entirely unjustified when bringing his kids over, especially if last time he got chased by the paparazzi when he was on his own. There's no doubt he's spoiled and more than a little insufferable, and she's arguably worse, but the last time police protection was withdrawn from a royal, and private security used in a country that they didn't originate from, with little experience in royal security detail, Diana died. That's their trump card.

It's a tricky one. They've no intention of keeping a low profile - this visit needs to be about building content for their Netflix deal - it's in trouble. So they will be out and about, and probably with the kids tagging along and the paparazzi will be insane. If they get threats or hounded or embroiled in a terrifying chase, it'll be GREAT for ratings, and for content, and further cement how hard done by they are the poor cratúrs, but it's also something that could endanger the children. They want it to be a frenzy of Diana proportions otherwise their visit is wasted. But Diana, by and large, was adored by most. This couple are almost the opposite end of the scale. I don't think they can grasp that fact.

But I can also see how frustrating it would be for the MET. I imagine that there has to be a relationship of trust and respect between security and their charges. Where they work together to keep everyone safe. But I don't think that Harry and Meghan would listen and change a planned event if there was a risk. I think that they would endanger their security by going ahead and almost expect that security accept the risk involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Being chased by the paparazzi is not a threat to your life, unless you choose to drive like a lunatic in order to shake them. Diana died because her drunk driver was speeding. Harry and Meghan have just as much paparazzi interest in the US, didn’t one climb into their garden? Private security can deal with that just fine. This is all about his ego - he wants the cavalcade with roads cleared for him. And it obviously is not about visiting his family, where he would be safer than safe, this is about wanting to be seen out and about at events which could be used in a netflix documentary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have a mild suspicion that they might want to use it as an excuse so that Harry will return alone to the U.K. for particular occasions but Meghan will stay put with the children. I could be completely wrong, obviously 😁.

“It's a tricky one. They've no intention of keeping a low profile - this visit needs to be about building content for their Netflix deal - it's in trouble. So they will be out and about, and probably with the kids tagging along and the paparazzi will be insane.”

Therein lies the problem. They’re only interested in their Netflix deal.

I wonder will Meghan return with Harry for the Queen's funeral when her time comes 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd say it will depend where she'll be placed. I can't see Charles allowing her to be front and centre, she'll likely be placed in an obscure corner where the cameras won't pick her up often, if at all.

She can't sell her royalty in the US if she's clearly snubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Celebrities visiting the UK are chased by paparazzi every day. That is a job for private security not the MET who are there to protect against a much greater risk. They can go about their netflix work with paid for sdcurity and leave their kids at home with Charles, but thats not what they want. This is not about protection its about status and optics. You cant tell me Angelina Jolie can visit with 6 kids, go out in public and be ok with peivate security and H&M are somehow different. They are not in danger of anyting except being booed and photographed.

actually one can say m&h are different because they are due to their status as higher up members of the rf dispite not being working members, and thus there is a huge risk to them because of that, and now their leaving of the UK for which the likes of the daily mail engage in sturring which could very easily be riling up people whether that is the paper's intention or not.

it could very easily be argued that there is a potential threat to them from individuals riled up by the likes of the daily mail.

i would be surprised if they do any filming for netflics in the UK anyway but either way the potential risks to them can't be discounted.

They’re no longer higher up members of the Royal Family. They quit. They’ve got no more right to Police Protection than Anne and Edward. (I’m leaving Andrew out for obvious reasons). They’re a current Monarchs children. He’s only a future Monarchs child.

Police protection for official duties only. Private security for other times.

• Advertisement

unworkable i suspect due to the potentially high risk they are at due to their status.

they are still high profile members of the rf regardless of their stepping away because everyone know who they are and harry is the child of the future monarc and brother of the next one.

as well as that, as i said with the bitter tabloid press throwing the toys out of the pram there is a high chance of possibly someone being riled up to do something serious.

so something will have to be worked out because the risks to them in the UK i suspect are likely high.

Advertisement