Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Looked like him at the end of the video anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They've got enough workers at this stage imo, look at the the strength of that PPV card, there's not even enough room for the likes of OC, TBS title, Black, and so on. Plus if they're going to start letting contracts expire I'd rather they keep some of the original characters we've known for years than hire more, talented-inring-but-generic-outside of it guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,599 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Swerve, Buddy & Hardy all lined up to join in the coming weeks.

Johnny Wrestling maybe as well.

Swerve could also be the person Black was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tony hyping something? Not like him. Of course I know it's his job.

Maybe he signed the hottest free agent, Cody Rhodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

AEW/NJPW Supershow?

Tony does hype every single thing as massive but to be fair, more often that not he does deliver on a surprise, some more than others.

What's has happened with the Owen Cup?

Not due to start till May and will end with the finals at Double or Nothing PPV in May.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Advertisement

Does Khan not realise that when something big is promised every week it stops being something big...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rampage on at midnight our time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Jay White v Trent is a fine match. Really good, worth seeking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Jay White is a proper cut above when you even compare that match with trent vs cole a few weeks ago be great if they could get him permanently

Wardlow, Keith Lee, Hobbs the big man ladder match could be a train wreck or totally awesome.

Switchblade and Trent was great.

I think Tony Kahn's announcement will be a supercard during the summer involving AEW, NJPW & AAA.

Omega gave a great interview on Observer radio last night

This was just one interesting bit of it.

“That’s sort of where The Bucks and I differed where we never wanted to go to war with Vince or WWE. We just wanted to give people an option and just get us a platform for our brand of storytelling and our style of wrestling. I think when Cody had his way of going about things, I wasn’t sure how to follow up with that, nor was I interested. So there was sort of like, there’s Kenny doing his thing. There’s The Bucks doing their thing. There’s the Codyverse over there doing whatever it is that he does. Then there’s the stuff that Tony does, and then eventually, as you know, and I guess probably a lot of fans know now, it’s essentially Tony’s show. Of course, he’s always going to listen to our advice and he’s going to take our suggestions to heart, but AEW is very much Tony’s baby, and we’re there to support it in any way that we can.”

“It’s very possible that this current version of AEW just wasn’t a good fit for Cody. For me, I feel like there’s always going to be a place for him. You saw it in his ladder match with Sammy. He’s got incredible utility and he’s able to help our younger talent. It’s not anything from an in ring perspective. There’s no issues there.”

“Yeah, If I had a clear cut answer for you guys, I would love to tell you, but I don’t know it, and all I can say is that whatever he decides to do, I heard he’s on a flight to Saudi Arabia. If that makes him happy, then that makes him happy. Again, The Bucks and I weren’t in this for the war. So all the guys and gals at WWE doing their thing, always wishing for the best for those guys. Always.”

(Note: Kenny’s line about Saudi Arabia was meant as a joke and he said that he doesn’t know Cody’s plans).

On youtube too

It's ironic that if Cody left because of creative freedom he's now possibly going to a place that's anti creative freedom

Btw I was shocked to see Dante not in the ladder match, it's a match made for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Enjoyed that, great interview from Omega.

When you really think about it Bucks + Omega and Cody were always a bit of an odd pairing wrestling philosophy wise so maybe it's not really that much of a surprise that they eventually diverged from each other. Cody's stuff always did seem to be slightly in its own world and felt the most wwe in style compared to the rest of the show!

On a separate note was expecting G.O.D to follow the Switchblade but guessing not after what happened on IMPACT's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I thought Jay would be done with Impact after No Surrender, just fulfilling his obligations, but doesn't look like it. Had it in my head that he had signed with AEW after Tony's tweets but looking into it, he was a last minute thing and isn't signed.

• Advertisement

Update on Kenny's injuries

I really miss him and his cracking matches

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's by far and away the most annoying thing in AEW imo.

Think it was the Owen Cup where they had 3/4 weeks in a row hyping an announcement and then you'd get to Dynamite/Rampage and it was we'll have an announcement at the next show. Same with the Christian signing, and now Keith Lee and Jay White. They're all great workers but nowhere near justified for the hype for it. I'm sure we'll get a giant hype up for Jeff Hardy too, and at this stage of his career, it's not really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Davy05

I definitely can see were you're coming from and agree with you to a certain extent. But on the flip side Khan is the promoter and it's his job to hype up these things and make noise happen. If he doesn't treat his signings as a big deal then why would anyone else in the casual audience treat them as such? We're diehard fans already and we know how good or bad most performers are already so are view can sometimes be blinkered. I don't think promoters are trying to reach us and trick us into being overly excited, because that would be just preaching to the converted. It's the casual fan who has a lapsed interest that i feel they are trying to coax back into the fold imo.

A bit of a random thought but I presume Cody has had the most AEW action figures since they started the line? Feels like he was in every series when they'd announce them on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

While I see your point and it makes sense, the problem with Khan overhyping announcements and debuts is that inevitably casual fans lose trust in him and therefore the ratings boost from it becomes less and less. Potentially more damaging is that it could lead to a ratings drop as fans get tired of the constant overhyping and then underdelivering which leads to fans turning away from the shows. Now I will say that with the quality of wrestling and wrestlers they have that it's not necessarily going to happen but it is something to be mindful of particularly as ratings fell by around 20% last week for Dynamite compared to the previous show which had a Tony Khan announcement hype run-up which disappointed (the rest of the shiow didn't). Of course, those events aren't necessarily correlated but it is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's a dangerous game though cos a casual fan might tune in, see the surprise and go is that it and then not tune in again. Like the hype up for Keith Lee and Jay White. Anyone casual tuning into that might know Lee from his failed WWE main roster run and probably never heard of Jay White. Someone interested in wrestling already knows they're exciting. They need to tone down the hyping unless they've got another Punk, Danielson signing somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Casual fans don't exist anyway according to Punk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Tag team battle royal planned for next Dynamite with:

* The Dark Order (John Silver, Alex Reynolds)

* 2point0

* Santana and Ortiz

* The Young Bucks

* FTR

* Private Party

* reDRagon

* The Gunn Club (Austin Gunn, Colten Gunn)

* The Butcher and The Blade

* The Best Friends (Trent Beretta, Chuck Taylor)

And that's not even everyone, no Acclaimed, Men of the Year, TH2 and some others.

That BTE episode was quite funny I have to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

Aubrey and Bryce grimacing and pretending to be in pain as if the move has been done on them multiple times throughout a match is completely stupid, off putting and needs to stop ASAP. Probably the only thing about AEW that annoys me every single week.

Advertisement