Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

Better than previous two weeks, but only 3 points down because Mayo left some handy scores out there.

The 2 goals 2 of the easiest you’ll score against a county team. Cut open with one pass each time. Maybe we need to go with a permanent sweeper. Our middle third is getting absolutely smashed in every game, only so much we can expect Fenton to come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

Online they probably won't pay out but I had mcauley 1st goal in a game against laois in 2012 and he had last Dublin touch before a laois OG, went into a branch with my docket and they honoured it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Poor wide by Scully there. Thought McGarry was doing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

wasteful, lack of composure in front of goals.

When do we realise the Basquels just haven’t kicked on and aren’t the answer?

• Advertisement

Dublin need a goal here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

a tough watch, all these wides being kick.

Some really embarrassing wides here, even in these conditions. Free shots not even threatening the posts..

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭mcgragger

Another Blunt performance.

What is Farrel trying to do?

I don't see what his style is meant to be?

Players look lost. Wides are infuriating again.

Ah that's a poor decision by Gough, what was Lahiff to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nothing but it was still a free out. TBF the Mayo back just held his ground.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Lots of mitigating factors but writing on the wall here for Dessie and Co. No discernible game plan, players repeating the same habits over and over again. Year will have to play out before management change but believe there will have to be a change before we will move forward.

A lot of problems and no obvious answers.

The depth just isn’t there. We can’t rely on having 20 players any more, at this stage having 17 reliable players would be a godsend. Not sure what Dessie is at throwing random lads not named on the panel in for the last 5 mins of a loss, it’s hardly blooding fellas now is it.

You’d wonder about the lads missing. Con is a curious one. He apparently got injured in this famous challenge game, then got named in the kerry team hours before throw in despite not leaving Dublin. We’ve all heard the rumours too about the hurling and leaving the panel (interestingly, heard one during the week that himself and O Cofaigh Byrne both gone). Pinch of salt but you never know. Have a feeling McCarthy could be gone too and we have a Clucko situation where it’s not said but eventually we realise. Hope not as he is genuinely one of our greats.

Not many positives. I suppose we looked like we had a bit more desire but still beaten easily. Fenton showed some heart second half but drowning in a sinking ship in the midfield. Good to see JC back, managed the back line well the last 20.

Some experienced players just not at it either. Deano has 40 mins max in him these days before being gassed, the Basquels have the experience at this stage but just haven’t showed enough, Scully & Howard both dreadful on the ball tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Few if any positives for me to take seemed devoid of any attacking ideas loose passing all over other good players just off their game .Have to wonder about the standard of coaching we still seem to have no plan then just sticking on young guys at the end with no time to do anything . This year looks like ending quite badly .

Yeah what’s to be gained by throwing a lad with barely any preparation (game wise) into a game that’s gone with 5 mins left?

I’m sure some of them have been training well but seems to be handled badly naming them on the panel at the last minute and then throwing them into a lost game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was only in for the second half of the ladies. Was over as a contest at HT / Cork only had 0-2 - Dublin were on 1-9. Dublin won pulling up even though they gave away sloppy goals as a result it was never in doubt. Tyrell got POTM. 1-9 she got in total her goal was a penalty.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i am a big radio man when watching gaa,

https://irishradiolive.com/ this is a really good website for local commentary games , especially for tg4 if the radio commentary is ahead of the tv picture you can pause it to keep it in sync , plus local radio commentary's are way better craic , you can also record streams which is handy for the deferred games on tg4 ,

i have given up on rte years ago for commentary's , i used to do the same with off the ball on sundays for the football on sky , radio commentrys are way more informative anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

Laois man reading your thread. A brilliant description of Brolly. When things are going well he wants to be on the band wagon, an absolute weasel.

Looking on from outside, there's something wrong in your camp.

When KK hurlers of 2006-2009 went into decline they still retained, discipline, a unity of purpose. Dublin just look so aimless, flat, purposeless. Something amiss.

Exactly what are they at? Let’s be honest Mayo left at least 3 goals behind them. A few of the chances were long punts or runs straight at defence.

Plus attack is awful as well. Even the warm up drill Dublin were doing was slow backwards and forwards type stuff. I might be imagining it but when Jim Gavin had them doing warm ups it was quick interchange stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Beaten out the gate again. Another 6 point defeat. What more can you say.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It is starting to get embarrassing I think. I’m annoyed ok they weren’t as brutal as they were v Armagh. For about 20 minutes were okish. Then if was as if Mayo realised ‘hang on lads these fellas are here for the taking’ - ‘run at them’. Then it was panic stations stuff. Even a simple high ball into defence caused chaos as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Never rated Dessie Farrell too highly but even Jim Gavin would struggle with the current Dublin match day panel. The new or newish players are struggling to make any impact and the experienced players seem to have lost their hunger. Will do well to avoid relegation now with games against Donegal (H) Monaghan,Kildare and Tyrone (A)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Our coaching seems to have really gone downhill the whole management team in fact appears not to have any ideas about stopping the downward march .Something clearly wrong behind the scenes though i would expect a new broom for next season .Rocky times ahead it would seem .We better hope we do not meet a team with a lethal forward line later on cause it could be a very painful watch .

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

I was at the O'Byrne Cup final in Carlow. We (Laois) are at the weakest talent wise I ever remember, I'm in my mid forties. A lot of our supporters were getting very excited by the fact we were only 2 points adrift with 2 minutes to go.

Though a fair few of us knew this wasn't the Dublin of the previous 10 years. It's hard to replace Bernard Brogan, Cluxton, MDMA, McAuley, Paul Flynn, Connolly. But you should be doing better. If there was one word I'd use to describe the way Dublin are playing it's fearful. Everything has slowed down. Shooting is poor and hesitant. Players like Scully and Fenton are out of form and looking low on confidence. That's management. Kilkenny is the only player showing consistently in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We aren't even really get close to teams. That's my biggest worry with this team. I'd love to take some positives for these games but I'm scratching my head trying to think of any. Dessie doesn't seem too worried though. Sure, you know yourself, we've shipped a few hidings but their are some positives in there for him.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1495171342794039296?t=DeHmMRdNupUfEmnyEHqybQ&s=19

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Dublin have three games remaining as a minimum they need to win two to have any chance of survival. If Dublin were to be relegated and in ten weeks turned around and won the AI no one would really care but it's very hard to see that happening.

Farrel talks about progress etc but he is coy enough about pointing out the areas of progress or what things they are working on are improving.

There isn't the player depth of old, those coming through aren't as yet at the level of those who have left but allowing for that the fall off here is massive. We took some comfort in Tralee from the fact that Kerry were virtually full strength but Mayo started tonight with a relatively weakened team and in the end were quite comfortable.

Dublin are all over the place in defence, slow and methodical up front and some of the senior players are playing in fits and starts. The main worry is that while at times tonight there pockets of good play at no stage did I feel like Dublin were going to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

When will RTE get rid of that drone on co commentary.

seriously not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

Your right if we got relegated and yet turned around and won the All Ireland this summer nobody would really care. But for me anyway I see no signs that winning an All Ireland this year is even remotely possible. In fact I would say its more likely we lose our Leinster title then us turning things around and winning the All Ireland title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Watching Dublin two things strike me

1- they look over-coached

2- some of the players don't seem to believe in Dessie

They remind me of the Hurlers under Ger Cunningham

Advertisement