Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,779 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Watched the after fight interview with brook. He said there were all types of shenanigans by khan in the leadup to try put him off, having someone knock on his hotel door at 3am the night before the fight, along with other stuff including messing around with the gloves.

Anyone else think MJ Hall looked like Steve Rogers before he took the serum?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,238 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wouldn’t surprise me. I’d say Khan is seething this morning. After all his crap about levels, and the chap barely lands a fooking punch in 6 rds, wobbling all over the place any time he was touched..

Career over. For me a big over-achiever. Never a great pro. Beat nobody near great. Won two world belts against woeful opposition.

Never looked relaxed, composed, smooth. Got away with a lot with his hand speed and fitness (against ordinary opposition). Lost all fights against class opposition, and badly lost.

I know very little about boxing in general, but khan looked absolutely petrified on the walk in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Fair play to Brook. People forget he beat a good Shawn Porter too.

Little know trivia, 5'7 Shawn Porter started out as a middleweight and holds an amateur victory over unified HW champ Usyk 😧

Watched the GGG Brooks fight on YouTube afterwards.

GGG is an absolute force of nature. Fair play to Brooks for getting into the ring with him.

Yes, brave move. But odd move. Out of the blue, and a fight that really damaged him. Then Spence finished whatever the best Brook was.

I have a feeling the hangers on will be bigging up Brook with this win, and looking for more paydays.

Risky: Brook is bang in trouble against any quality opposition who can punch.

Brook is a shot fighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tacky chavvy night all round really. Poor production, nonsense about gloves, fights in the crowd, walk ins by the catering trucks.

Delighte to see Khan utterly outclassed though. Pity he didnt end up Ko'd on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I think Brook will look back at his career as what could have been. He is very talented, a physical specimen and has a pleasing style. He was badly advised and took some fights at the wrong time.

I haven't watched the fight in a long time but my memory of the Spence fight was that it was very close until later in the fight and his eye got damaged again. You'd wonder if he hadn't have gotten in the ring with GGG would that have changed the outcome.

Khan was also very very talented. If he had a chin I think he would have had an incredible career. There wasn't a fight, bar maybe against bud, where he didn't initially have the upper hand before getting caught (Prescott aside obviously). Glad he got whooped last night though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Feel a bit sorry for Khan. Hopefully more people remember him for a brilliant career than they do for that performance last night. Legs completely shot to pieces but still fought like a warrior and would have kept going till he was dragged out of the ring. Dunno how any fan of the sport can have anything but respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Agree with the posters above about Brook.

The GGG fight should never had happened and and was the beginning of the end for brook imo.

Same with the canelo v khan fight.

What were Khan's camp thinking?

Irresponsible and dangerous imo.

I don’t feel sorry for Khan, and not sure what you would feel sorry for?!

I was one who defended the intense criticisms he received years ago here. I always looked forward to his fights. He gave us excitement. Always came to fight.

Last few years I have found him difficult to warm to. An arrogance about him.

Respect him for what? Being a boxer? Ok.

Assessing his career as a boxer and nothing else, he just wasn’t that good. He was not a good pro in the world sense.

Upper hand? I’d say more just holding his own.

vs Garcia he was looking good, but more flash than actual substance. OTT speedy flurries that were mostly missing. Then he got taken out.

vs Canelo he was holding his own, but landing nothing significant; same old speedy baseless flurries for the sake of it. Then taken out.

Last night the same baseless speedy flurries, and then taken out whilst clearly behind.

Khan had strengths, but they were overshadowed by glaring weaknesses, and innate weaknesses that he could not fix.

What were the scorecards on those 2 fights above before he got taken out? My recollections was that he was winning both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Totally agree, it was blindly obvious to everyone at the time that the GGG fight was going to be a complete and utter trainwreck. If I remember correctly, Brook actually had to jump two weight divisions just to take the fight - not a wise decision given he was up against the most lethal puncher in the division. I guess the massive payday was just too good to turn down.

I think the Spence fight could potentially have turned out differently if not for his eye problems, I remember he complained afterwards that he couldn't see for the last few rounds after taking a knock in one of the mid rounds. In saying that, Spence looked really sharp in that fight and probably would have won anyway...who knows!

He was level across all cards v Danny

He was behind v Canelo on 2/3 cards.

Kell did very well in the Spence fight, but it was clear to the trained eye that Spence was stronger and always a step ahead. Kell was just managing to keep up. He was never in the driving seat like Spence.

Post edited by walshb on

Yeah, it was such a shame they didn't fight each other at that time instead of taking those fights.

While I really don't like Khan, you can't question his passion and heart for the sport. His eyes light up like a kid in a toyshop when he talks about some of his old fights in Maddison Square Gardens etc.

• Advertisement

Jesus I could have sworn he was peppering Garcia until he got clipped. Have it in my head he also won the first 3 vs Canelo fairly handily too. Must give them a watch back.

Yes. I was similar v Garcia first time. But watching back, it is the usual Khan throwing speedy flurries for the sake of it. Garcia was defending and countering well.

v Canelo he was not winning. Landing fook all decent shots, and Canelo, like Garcia was countering

Both men biding their time and setting traps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Bit of action outside the ring as well.

Foden's mother showing how to take a punch.

Amir Khan take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I never thought I would say this, but Campbell Hatton on that undercard would have strengthened it on reflection, absolute shambles.

Some youtube silliness, Frazier Clarke fighting a lad literally off the street, Jonas 2nd rd KO and some randoms winning very quickly against no hopers.

Betting odds is not everything, but the most generous odds when it came to the undercard was Jonas at 1/11 and Rea at 1/14...both who wrapped it up early.

Maybe its because I am not purist, although I do watch a lot of boxing, but these dreadful undercards especially in the UK on PPVS do boil my piss these days.

UFC v boxing debates are tedious, but I love the fact that the UFC always stack their PPVS,,,so many big PPV'S in boxing are basically the main event , prospects at 1/100 beating doormen and some uninteresting ladies fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did Khan break his right hand? (F*** knows how) but he was keeping it inside his track top at the after fight presser and used his left hand to shake hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭reclose

I think Khan showed a lot of heart in taking that beating and he was respectful after the fight too.

I think a lot of the negative comments about him are unwarranted.

I’ve found him to be an entertaining fighter over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The card the weekend was appalling one of the worst iv ever seen ,

The two main lads are past it but the Main event was exciting , fair play to the two lads they talked a lot of crap but when the time came they both really they went for it,

Time for both to hang up the gloves,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I actually thought Khan looked like he had not prepared too well for it, and it showed in his performance.

Only there for one final payday.

He was an embarrassment.

Advertisement