Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ya Donegal should surely go red by teatime, maybe mayo & sligo too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is far worse than Eunice. Eunice had half an hour of standard gales here in Meath. Franklin has been going since yesterday evening with strong gales all through the night combined with Christmas Day 2021 style rain. Another 24 hour of gales to go with wind speeds increasing as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Miserable day out now in Waterford, wet and wild. Obviously nowhere near Eunice gusts but rotten day all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they'll be floods galore after this - get out the sandbags and read the small print of your home insurance policy if you're living in flood-risk areas

• Wild here in D4, balcony sliding doors taking direct gusts from the west. They are vibrating away. Definitly feels worse than Eunice but that was coming from a different direction. (gusts coming around and up the Irish sea).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

I wouldn't be surprised if Donegal, North Sligo and North Leitrim are put under a red warning for wind for a time later tonight and early tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Less of that talk now, we're happy to stay orange here in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Mayo should stay under a orange. A good few models showing higher wind across Donegal, North Sligo and North Leitrim. Met Éireanns Ensembles also showing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ferocious gusts and hailstones banging the window right now, if this is a taste of what's to come tonight should be fun. (SW Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Just a pig's ear of a day in my part of Dublin so far with persistent light to moderate rain and blustery winds. Certainly not as windy as Eunice 'til now, conversely to what many others are experiencing. Eunice had a max gust of 100 km/h and sustained winds of 69 km/h, Franklin is only 67 km/h max gust and 31 km/h sustained to midday at Dublin Airport in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

There was no word of this on the weather bulletins in the last few days or did i miss it? Has it come out of nowhere all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Window for snow is later today and only really the first half of the night before snow level rises again. I'll take anything I can get at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Wexford is getting battered. Is this to last till tomorrow at this strength.

".... and behold, thy windows shall vibrate, and the water will fall from the heavens in a general horizontal manner, this is the word of the Lord.."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

'Battered' might be a bit strong now. It's just a standard miserable wet winters day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

squally shower here a few minutes ago near Kanturk North Cork! Gone now but rain very persistent.. my walk to the pub in half an hour is going to be a wet one!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A series of depressions/storms was mentioned. More incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That was some squall that passed through there an hour ago. I got stuck in Lidl for 3 minutes and couldn't walk out to my car! Surely that warranted a Red?! :-)

A really rotten day so far, but still nice to see some energy in the atmosphere. My driveway needed to be cleaned but I think that job's been done for me.

Here's the radar animation of the well-defined linear feature over the past few hours. Seems to be getting its act together now over the Irish Sea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm finding it odd with the GFS and it's ensemble members how much snow is being shown for tonight. Out of 31 GFS members, 29 of them are going for lying snow in Meath which I find very unbelievable, and some of them as much as 18cm. The only 2 not showing lying snow is the operational and P26. Even compared to Eunice, the GFS ensemble run seems far more confident of snow tonight, the sort of confidence you would see from the ensemble run during an easterly. Has to be some sort of error.

The GFS operational seems much more realistic, some wintry showers but nothing actually sticking. The ECM/GEM etc are also very similar to the GFS operational so I don't know what the GFS ensemble members are smoking. Tonights snow window is going to be very narrow and it will be mild by morning. Best chance of snow definitely appears to be Wednesday night into Thursday afternoon, we may even get 24 hours out of the cold which would probably be the record for this winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Estofex have issued a level 3 for the far North today for possible severe wind gusts.

Cant say I've seen them issue a level 3 over Ireland before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The fields are very waterlogged now. Increases chances of trees falling.

Getting wild in Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head gusting 62 knots(115km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Limerick was orange for Eunice....very mild, harmless day....

Limerick is yellow today.....very wild, gusty and dangerous day....

Met Eireann must be taking a leaf out of RTEs book and taking Sunday off....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Sympathies.

You may have seen the despairing husband meme.

Not homeless, wife in Target for 2 hours. Please help!

https://images.app.goo.gl/kGohpitTz7hpvLuX8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah that was a big jump. It was getting approx 80 km/h gusts since midnight.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You speak for me. Here, on the shores of Bantry Bay this is far, far nastier than Eunice was. And yet we're only yellow. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Redsercurran

4 reports of trees down on roads here in kildare but it doesn't feel that windy. Presume that huge rain squall earlier was a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Fairly gusty here in Swinford at the moment. Heading back to Newport soon so I'm sure it'll be worse there. I can see the trees blowing when I check the camera and the sheep next door are all sheltering.

• Advertisement

Mace Head hitting 122kmh gusts 1400

Advertisement