Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,155 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I honestly dont think anyone in downing st or the tory party has noticed or even cares that stormont has collapsed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Good assessment of the DUP over the last number of years...

Stormont collapse failed to make the front page of any national UK papers......

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

It wasn't even the top story in yesterdays BBC 6 o'clock news. One of Johnsons aids resignation was featured above the collpase of Stormont.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not a surprise. A candid survey of mainland UKers, polling opinion of Northern Ireland would be fascinating - if also (probably) deeply embarrassing for loyalists. My gut instinct tells me the North is looked down on by many, and they'd be shot of it if they could. The DUP emblematic of a rump of perpetually hostile social conservatism that has quickly found itself adrift both with its immediate political adversary, and its master's homeland. Who could find kinship with any of them? Unless I'm mis-remembering, they had to be instructed by Westminster to allow abortion services, when the DUP did their level best to obstruct it; while - and I know this isn't many people's priority - the succession of angry, bitter looking white men makes the DUP appear further archaic. No fresh, young faces - no women.

• Advertisement

LOL at Paisley and the DUP finally figuring out what Edward Carson said 100 years ago

https://www.thejournal.ie/ian-paisley-commons-5676792-Feb2022/

"What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power."

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The DUP and TUV joining forces to fight the election by all accounts, can Beattie keep the UUP out of it?

They are plainly saying that you can have equality only on our terms by their actions and destroying any comfort there was with staying in the Union just when they should have been making the Union attractive.

Bizarre strategy really, for the life of me I cannot see any sense in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The only sense I can make of it - and I'm straining to do this - is to reckon that they made a mistake backing Brexit, and they doubled down on that mistake by backing hard Brexit, and since they are psychologically incapable of ever, ever, ever admitting that they might ever have made one mistake, never mind two, they are now compelled to follow the disastrous course they have embarked on. They know it's a disaster but they can't see any alternative.

Latest polling shows 1 in 10 Unionists think the Protocol is important to them at the minute which would back up the amount of interest in responding to calls in actually protesting.

Political Unionism is at sea and drowning at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's fear. Fear of the breaking of orbit from one economic and structural gravity-well, and the (potentially stronger) pull of another. The NI Protocol could have the net effect of making a Union feel functionally pointless if SMEs - the bedrock of any right-of-centre political party's support - find themselves naturally circling the economy of the Republic, and EU to a lesser extent. The polar ideological extremes are spoken for and set: it's the wavering middle who will inform Northern Ireland's future - and if that means closer ties to greener pastures, loyalism becomes thin currency to sell.

It's another decanting of that same flavour, this angrier brand of unionism since 1971 and the DUP's inception: fear of "Irishness"; fear of Republicans; fear of foreigners; fear of liberalism; fear of women; fear of choice; fear that there's nothing behind the rhetoric of toadyish loyalism except flegs and vitriol. Fear to admit the DUP got utterly played for fools when they played kingmaker in Westminister.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Well I think it's clear that the DUP and hard-line unionists were backing brexit mainly to move NI further away from the republic. In that sense their goal was always the introduction of as much of a border as possible on the island of Ireland. They felt this was the inevitable outcome of brexit and did not count on all other parties not accepting such. At every point they have opposed any solution that doesn't involve a border in Ireland. All of their actions are very understandable if you think that the border in Ireland was their goal.

From that point of view they are really damned, because it's politically unacceptable for them to campaign on what their true goals are, but won't gain votes until they can give a clear picture of their intentions. Their only option right now is to be vaguely obstructionist, which becomes less and less valid as the benefits of the protocol manifest. Tremendously poor politicking from them, really shows their lack of ability at high level strategy.

Stephen Nolan Show reporting a DUP climbdown on the Protocol.

Jim Allister asking for clarity on what the DUP mean by 'the best of both worlds'.

Bryson not happy either.

No links yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

'Bryson not Happy'

The ultimate litmus test that the way forward is correct

The DUP has listed seven tests which any "replacement" for the protocol must meet, if they are to be satisfied.

SFAIK, the only arrangement which anyone on any side has actually proposed that would meet all seven tests is the UK rejoining the EU.

Perhaps the DUP are about to confront the contradictions of their position on Brexit?

(Well, we can always dream, can't we?)

The overwhelming feeling I get is that Jeffery's heart is just not in objecting to the protocol. He's got himself in some pickle.

I think the DUP's position on Brexit, the NIP and on various other policies is to ensure that they remain as far from the Irish position as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A funny video is doing the rounds on Twitter about Sammy Wilson getting booed by the crowd and Allister having to step in to tell them to let him talk.

What a time to be alive seeing Unionism crash and burn, they are like a pack of wolves turning on each other.

They will turn next on the UUP and try and Lundy them into towing the Unionist line. We live in interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It really needs to be discussed the source of the DUPs funding of advertising of a Pro Brexit mandate in English newspapers where no DUP members were standing. Especially when you realise the apparent link with Russia funding and the current situation in the Ukraine. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44624299

What is equally worrisome is the reports regarding the Russian influence in the whole Brexit vote and the suppression of the security report https://youtu.be/jZYR7n2gpOU

Jeffery and the DUP and consequently Protocol opposition in some bother this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think now would be a good time for Dublin/Brussels to force GB's hand on honouring its commitments to the Tory/DUP Protocol. There should be hard time-limits put on GB's cooperation with information sharing and inspections of British goods coming into the north. If GB fails to live up to its commitments then let the EU use its economic weight to focus minds in little England. The British Government will not be long in bringing Unionism to heel if faced with the slightest threat to their electoral fortunes due to EU pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I think now would be an awful time for that, considering the situation in Ukraine. Some things are bigger than the NI Protocol/Brexit. Leaving it on ice until that is resolved seems like a much more mature approach to me.

As an aside, I was amused by a pretty minor exchange I spotted on Twitter with some random, 'Protocol must go' type telling the lads in Mourne Seafood how badly impacted the seafood industry in NI was....

The EU getting stronger together must be distressing for those seeking to divide it.

These folk have jumped the shark completely, perspective has been completely lost.

Let me fix that:

"A former Brexit Party MEP has claimed that the EU's treatment of Northern Ireland, which the UK government sought and which he himself voted to support, is on a par with Vladimir Putin's bloody invasion of Ukraine, sparking criticism."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

3 losses now but they say (Hoey, Allister and Bryson) that the next step is the Supreme Court.

With the Lady Chief Justice's name like Siobhan Keegan, I presume thast the trio are assuming that the decision was sectarian. I checked the twitter feed of renowned intellectual Jamie Bryson and lo & behold...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement

Ouch! That's gotta hurt. Never knew they were going to do this.

That's kinda game set and match now.

Advertisement