Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I can see England reacting differently next time there's a pandemic .They've no appetite for lockdowns unless labour get in maybe.

The media has a lot to answer for .They hyped COVID out of all proportion to its real danger level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

These guys seem to be claiming that “that the risk of myocarditis following mRNA COVID vaccination is around 133 times greater than the background risk in the population.” And that due to the issues with VAERS “the number of reported incidents is likely to be an underestimate of the extent of the phenomenon.”

Since the vaccines don’t prevent infections, the comparisons with myocarditis rates following infection become irrelevant. Nevertheless, for a full context of this problem, does anybody know what is the myocarditis rate following infection? What I found in: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm is that rate is around 16 times, but maybe there are more recent studies.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

"The study, conducted by researchers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as well as from several U.S. universities and hospitals"

Yikes. Good luck to anyone trying to claim that these people are all 'grifters'.

A x133 greater risk of myocarditis, that is appalling and how can anyone now justify pressurising people into taking these vaccines? Yes you can still argue that its worth the risk on a balance of probabilities but multiple insults, accustions of 'idiot!', covid passes and dis-employing mandates?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

You're lucky you don't live in Spain.

Out this morning in the park playing ping pong with the boys and lovely bright sunny day here and I see people out walking their dogs - in their FFP2 masks fully on.

It's a cult.

And this is at a stage where it's no longer mandatory to wear them outdoors, I did a quick count the other day and around 60% of adults are wearing them outside.

Not to count that the kids (especially teenagers) coming out of school all leaving their masks on - what in gods name are the teachers brainwashing them with God only knows ...

This is why it annoys me so much, because of the above hysteria, Spain will NEVER drop the indoor mask rule, there is no way with 60% of adult population AFRAID of going maskless outdoors they will ever introduce this.

So well done Spain, you have created a new generation of anxious hypochondriacs, can you imagine the kids here today in 10/15 years time ??

Imagine the amount of doctor visits wasted on some anxious cat lady that is in a panic cos her neighbour sneezed ?

Another thing I think is happening, a mouth is almost becoming like an anus to some - it's just not displayed in public ...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Whats the story with myocarditis after a vaccine ? when can I stop worrying ? I got my 3rd and last dose around 6 weeks ago, does this linger, or is it usually in the days after the shot ?

• Advertisement

I’m sure that tweeter is full of those experts that would contradict those studies and some of the regulars here will be quick to refer to those and refute ‘in a scientific manner’.

Seems to me that Djokovic had his research done properly and understood the risk. He made a right decision, no question about it.

Aguero did not do so well.

“The study found that median time to symptom onset was two days”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I know , it’s awful this myocarditis ‘ting’. The hospitals and headlines were overwhelmed with all these people being admitted to hospital with myocarditis. It’s terrible out there what are we going to do? We are doomed!

Maybe actually Read the report the article is based on

Results  Among 192 405 448 persons receiving a total of 354 100 845 mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines during the study period, there were 1991 reports of myocarditis to VAERS and 1626 of these reports met the case definition of myocarditis.

The major presenting symptoms appeared to resolve faster in cases of myocarditis after COVID-19 vaccination than in typical viral cases of myocarditis. Even though almost all individuals with cases of myocarditis were hospitalized and clinically monitored, they typically experienced symptomatic recovery after receiving only pain management. In contrast, typical viral cases of myocarditis can have a more variable clinical course. For example, up to 6% of typical viral myocarditis cases in adolescents require a heart transplant or result in mortality

Maybe I actually did.

After the Pfizer immunization, according to study, boys aged 12 to 15 had a myocarditis rate of 70.7 instances per million, which is 133 times higher than the baseline rate of 0.53 per million. So that is where the quoted rate is coming from.

• Advertisement

what was the rate after contracting the delta variant. Because that’s the true comparison. You also stated in was “133 times the background rate in the population” when in fact it was a very specific segment of the population and still below the post viral rate, which is wholly on keeping with your propensity for lying

Leaving this here for the purveyors of deliberate misinformation

Results For the 12-17-year-old male cohort, 6/6,846 (0.09%) patients developed myocarditis overall, with an adjusted rate per million of 876 cases (Wilson score interval 402 - 1,911). For the 12-15 and 16-19 male age groups, the adjusted rates per million were 601 (257 - 1,406) and 561 (240 - 1,313).

Can anyone tell me is 876 per million greater than or less than 70?

Is less with the new variant though because 1. It’s less severe and 2. Vaccination has further reduced serious effects even when infection occurs

You have a strong propensity for misunderstanding or simply being disingenuous.

Your claim that I stated that “133 times greater than the background risk in the population” is grossly wrong. I did not claim that, thus quotation marks in the original post. These are the exact words used in the mentioned article in the first paragraph and you would know it if you had read it. Check your facts before you accuse me or anybody for that matter of lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

From perusing many of these types of post,particularly in the past 6 months,it's increasingly clear that many people now feel genuinely threatened by the imminent removal of the Guidance,Regulation and Care levels provided by the "Authorities" wherever they may be.

It's not unique to Ireland,as most of Western Europe has succumbed to this trait,to a greater or lesser degree.

There is very little to be gained by attempting to point out how Covid was never going to be the end-of-days event as predicted by the Experts & Authorities. (Oddly enough,even Nostradamus appears to have been mute in this regard ?) .

Now that imminent Death from Covid for the average reasonably healthy individual, has been shown to be as miniscule as it always was many people feel an obligation to trawl through volumes of Scientific sounding stuff in order to keep the flame flickering.

I believe It's neither misunderstanding or disingenuity,but rather a genuinely felt sense of loss that forces a significant number of people to cling to the hull of the rapidly sinking Covid ship.

For me,the entire production lost it's way from June 2020,with most of the regulatory element since then being far more experimental in the Administrative sense than the Public Health one.

The problem now faced by Western Europe,particularly in the light of the Ukrainian situation,is whether or not our populations are in any way robust enough mentally, to deal with threats of a FAR more lethal nature than Covid-19,and which may impose far greater levels of both Fear and Physical & Mental stress overall.

Hugo Damask in post #31969 puts it quite succinctly....

So well done Spain, you have created a new generation of anxious hypochondriacs, can you imagine the kids here today in 10/15 years time ??

Imagine the amount of doctor visits wasted on some anxious cat lady that is in a panic cos her neighbour sneezed ?

Perhaps this erasure of self-confidence and future belief is the true legacy of the Covid Public Health measures in the Western World ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

You actually took time to come up with that complete and total nonsense?

And

Oddly enough,even Nostradamus appears to have been mute in this regard ?

Wtf?

It's quite likely these types of people will tell you that had they NOT followed the rules they's all be dead and gone now.

The ability to cope unaided,has been subject to a relentless assault over the past 2 years.

People have been vaccinated with fear,and as with liquid vaccines,this Fear will need a regular Top-Up...It's now in our Genes,along with the single ply piece of flimsy cotton and elastic in the back pocket of my Jeans...just in case 😷

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Interesting point of view. Perhaps you are right, mental damage is a serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I reckon it's ends of days stuff alright. It's like some can't cope with the fact that the absolute majority of people are just getting on with their lives don't mind the few restrictions that are there and know that that the situation is improving regardless.

The constant moaning and hysterics are worrying though. It could be argued that the pandemic was responsible as being a causative agent. Only problem with that explanation is that looking at the threads, those still complaining are by in large those who were complaining even at the beginning of the pandemic, even before the restrictions and have apparently never stopped. I guess some will never be happy unless they're having a good old moan about everybody else. God love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

With the mask requirements being dropped by the end of next week and essentially all restrictions removed I'm amazed this thread is so active.

I mean what is there to agure about

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

about 4 months ago I met a chap I know a little. He is early 60s and a public sector employee senior role

he basically gave me a 10 minute sermon on why restrictions must stay and vaccines should be compulsory for all including babies

I usually let these things go and just nod my head, just easier.

but that day I was very tired and had a headache, so I calmly told him that the last 2 years was very very tough on the young, the poor, those who suffer from mental health issues and many others. He did not like my answer and was preaching again about how people need to stop obsessing with money and with themselves and we must start acting as a community.

I snapped and told him that was easy for someone like him who owns his own home and has a nice public sector job that was not affected by government policies. And that if anyone tried to compulsory vaccinate my young children without my approval it would not end Well for them. I am a very conservative catholic and we are not the type of people you fcuk with.

that man won’t even say hello to me now, it’s a strange time we live in.

Some definitely feel better trying to tell themselves than anyone who challenges their relentless bullshit is somehow damaged by projecting opinions onto them that they have neither expressed or believe. It’s the only refuge from confronting their own delusions

I notice today,that Boris Johnson has used the "self confidence" phraseology for the first time that I'm aware of.

Of equal interest is the Word Health Orginization forming up to give him a belt of their Crozier due to his virtual abandonment of their Guidelines.

But in a BBC interview, he said that with case numbers and hospitalisations from the Omicron wave apparently under control, it was time to revert to "personal responsibility" rather than legal mandates.

"I'm not saying that we should throw caution to the wind. But it's time for everybody to get their confidence back," Mr Johnson said, after bringing forward the plan by a month from when the current law was due to expire in late March.

Has Mr Johnson been reading this forum I wonder ? 🙂

It's really interesting and of significant note that the charge against the Prime Minister's accelleration of his post-pandemic timetable,is led by the likes of the WHO's "Special Envoy" for Covid,a gent with close ties to that Palace of Covid "Statistics" Imperial College London.

David Nabarro, the World Health Organization's special envoy for Covid, said that scrapping the law on self-isolation was "really very unwise indeed".

Good man Davey,you tell 'em 🧐

Of course what's REALLY worrying David and his many pals across the Covid globe is other Juristicions being exposed to this return to Liberty & Democracy...I mean what is your average Australian,Austrian,New Zealander,Spaniard,Canadian or Scots to make of this "Freedom of Choice" malarkey....

He BBC radio yesterday: "I really do worry that Britain is taking a line that is against the public health consensus - that other countries, other leaders will say if Britain is doing it, why can't we, and this will create a bit of a domino effect around the world."

David and his WHO companions really DO fear this breaking of ranks,something which Johnson has quite a flair for across many different scenario's.

I believe that Johnson sees,to a degree not yet obvious to other Western leaders how much 2 years of Over Reaction and Over Regulation has damaged the core fabric of Western Society to a degree best displayed by Macron,Trudeau,Kurz,Scholz,Sanchez in their continued reliance on the WHO for permission to live normally ?

I don't think he's saying that anyone who disagrees with him is mentally damaged but that the hysteria over covid has induced anxiety disorders, OCDs and phobias among the population in general. I agree and its a point I've made myself.

The level of panic from media, governments and institutions was dishonest and unjustified. Anyone could see through it if they wanted to but so many chose to run with it.

The specious comparisons to the Spanish flu, the bogus predictions of hundreds of millions of deaths, the transparently dodgy modelling from Neil Ferguson (who made a string of wrong predictions in previous pandemics) etc., etc.

You are all engaged in a groupthink which projects the outcome here in Ireland, post restrictions, vaccinations and after 2 full years, a milder variant, as being all that was ever going to result from the pandemic, ignoring the vast swathes of the planet that have had multiples of the death rate here. Peru 0.6% of total population, Bulgaria 0.5% as just two examples. And that’s just on official rates. Globally estimates put the death toll at between 2 and 4 times official counts, which puts it up there with Spanish flu.

And does no one here realise predictions made at the start were based on no mitigation with a wide range of outcome

'And does no one here realise predictions made at the start were based on no mitigation with a wide range of outcome'

I do realise that because I read the original Imperial College London paper, linked it here on boards and quoted from it. That was one of my first arguments: these predictions are based on an abstract scenario of no mitigation measures whatsoever which wouldn't happen and didn't happen.

As you might remember, lockdown were not even mentioned as a mitigation measure in the ICL paper - having little or no provenance in Western medicine. Adopted on the fly by the Italian government after borrowing it from the Chinese, then borrowed from the Italians by others.

Those estimates are totally bogus given the huge over-counting of deaths. Basically anyone with a cold who also died of any cause whatsoever was being counted as a covid death.

If we are using these high upper range estimates for covid then we would match that with the upper range estimates for Spanish Flu, which highest death toll has been estimated at 100 million dead. So its still roughly 10x higher.

Like I said, then and now, you'd have to be deeply confused to compare the world now to one hundred years ago when millions were weakened by a world war, supply blockades (Austria and Germany were starved out by the Allies prior to invasion), aspirin posioning, cykotine storms so that younger populations died in the millions, lower standards in medical technology etc., etc.

It was clear to all by April 2020 that covid wasn't what people feared it would be, some kind of Black Plague destroying humanity. Yes some third world countries had higher deaths than first world countries but that doesn't vindicate tormenting people with a system of bureaucratic control and isolation, its just that we're lucky to be rich - as too are no-lockdown countries like Japan and Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

The rights and wrongs of the last 2 years will become clear over the next 2 years.

How the economy goes and the fallout from school closures, restricted health services, restricted social services will become very clear very soon

and if the answer is an many expect including me, than those who made the decisions for the last 2 years and those in the public who backed those decisions must be held accountable

• Advertisement

Overcounting? I am sure you have evidence for that. The estimates are based on the excess death rates and are made using the same methods as with Spanish flu.

Advertisement