Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked doctor sues former employer for refusing to call trans-woman "she"

Options

Comments

You clearly are not reading my posts. I refer you to my posts further up the page🔝

It is quite clear what I have said

Lol it's as clear as mud.

Blimey, that's 20 minutes of my life that I won't get back. I'm more confused now than I was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How can you claim to be something you can't define?

I can claim I’m a man without being able to define the term? It doesn’t make any difference to me what 99% of the planet thinks, any more than I would think 99% of the planet cares what I think either.

What you seem to be asking for is for anyone to prove it. Biology doesn’t and won’t tell you anything about anyone, because it doesn’t have that capacity, it’s use is in observation and classification, not definition.

I don’t have to have studied biology to know a woman when I see one, nobody does. I could distinguish between men and women and children pretty much from birth without any knowledge of human physiology. Sometimes I get it wrong. I’m not being literal when I refer to a group of girls as lads, they know what I mean without any of us having to consult Collins Gem.

Being unable to define a term objectively isn’t the insurmountable social obstacle you appear to want to make it out to be.

If you are using "woman" in the conventional sense then yes, you can distinguish them from men 99.9% of the time.

We do this because as humans we are hard-wired to identify someone's sex pretty instinctively.

But under the new definition, people of the male sex can be women. So what looks like a man, has a beard, has a cock - is a woman.

Still sure? And still don't understand why definitions matter?

• Advertisement

I’m not required to use any terms to distinguish between men and women, it’s a cognitive function of the brain rather than anything which is hard-wired or limited to humans specifically. But I get what you mean at least, it’s just one of those things if you’re striving for accuracy, y’know?

The definition you’re referring to isn’t new either, might be new to you, but I’m familiar with how other people choose to define terms according to their own standards based upon their perception. I can’t honestly say I was ever so interested in nailing it down to any particular characteristics like you do that I wanted to conduct a physical examination of anyones reproductive organs before I determined how I would interact with them.

It was entirely based upon my own perception, same as the determination made at birth that anyone is classified as being of either one sex or the other - sometimes the medical profession get it wrong too, and then sometimes they seek to alleviate their cognitive dissonance by performing unnecessary surgery to have humans conform to their standards of what a human of one sex or the other should look like. This determination isn’t based upon biology, it’s based upon cultural and social beliefs - their own personal opinions. I’ll bet you can see now why the GMC doesn’t permit doctors to allow their personal beliefs to influence their practice of medicine.

I understand why definitions matter alright, and I understand why some people get hung up on them. I don’t particularly care to be honest however anyone chooses to define either themselves or something else. I do care when they expect that their definition should be universally applied and everyone should adhere to their standards. That’s an attempt to limit how people express themselves, not something I would ever support in any case, whether the conversation was about women, men, children, mammals, etc, you get the idea 😁

In spite of all the wordplay, and desires to distract by others, Orinoco, has stuck to the core point. For pro-trans advocates, a woman is anyone who desires to be a woman. That's it really. They may or may not, have transitioned physically, but merely the claim of belief that the individual considers themselves to be female, is exactly the same as a someone who was born female. As such, everyone else should accept that claim, and adjust their perceptions accordingly.

No serious basis in science/biology. No appreciation for the gender differences in experience/thinking patterns, it just comes back to the desire to be female, being enough to be female. An adult male who decides they're female, can switch to being female, without their adult perspectives of being male interfering because the belief is enough.

It's a religion. Belief over science.

It's great you don't care. You don't have to.

You're not a woman being told the new definition of woman means you'll be competing in sport against males.

You're not a woman being told that the 6ft 4 bearded male following them into the bathroom is a woman too, so keep your eyes down and don't make a fuss.

You're not a woman being told that all women shortlists, or grants for women in business, can now by accessed by males.

Its easy for you not to care, but I would gently suggest you check your privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

How would you address a transgender woman?

Hello?

I don't get this. We don't usually use gendered language in direct communication. Pronouns typically are used when referring to someone else. So, it's very easy to avoid all references to gender when speaking to a Transgendered person. Hell, we don't even use titles such as Mr, Ms, etc all that much anymore, , is usually a matter of personal preference.. and again, is easily avoided.

Let me turn this back to you. How would you address a Transgendered person when you don't know their preferred gender? I've encountered a few Trans people who are inbetween transitions, where they've had some surgery or hormonal treatments but haven't committed to fully transitioning (probably due to the expense involved). How would you address them?

• Advertisement

Orinoco’s core point appears to be that they have the authority to determine what constitutes womanhood for everyone, and 99% of the world agrees with them apparently, that’s according to themselves too, I’m not sure I share their confidence in their belief, nor do I share their belief.

Your complaint amounts to nothing more than pointing out that nobody recognises anyones individual authority to declare what other people are or aren’t. It has nothing to do with science, nor has it anything to do with religion. It amounts to nothing more than your own personal belief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - back on topic please.

I've gone through the last number of pages and there are a handful of posters extremely close to being threadbanned. Find a way to discuss the topic instead of arguing about your respective posting styles or trying to insult each other

I am a woman.

That trans women exist does not in anyway change the fact that I am a woman. I have always been and will always be a woman, no matter how many other women or indeed trans women there are in the world.

Same as every other woman

It’s not because I’m a man that I don’t care how anyone else chooses to define themselves or anything else. It’s because other people’s choices for themselves has no impact on me personally. Other people’s decisions for themselves has no impact on you personally either, and I don’t need to suggest you check your privilege or anything else. I’m sure you’re acutely more aware of your own personal circumstances than I am.

You can certainly choose to care about circumstances whichever way you choose to portray them in order to make out that women are the victims of some oppressive new standard which benefits men, and that’s been an ongoing argument within Feminism for as long as Feminism has existed, also an ideology which I can’t bring myself to care about tbh. The points you raise as being specifically challenging to women aren’t actually going to have any impact on the vast majority of women, or men for that matter. They will have the greatest impact on people who were excluded from equal participation in society on the basis of their gender identity - they now enjoy the same privileges in law at least as everyone else in society already enjoys.

You’d have a point if the privileges which women enjoy were being taken from them, but that hasn’t happened. Your argument is no different than the same arguments which were made to limit women’s equal participation in society - that their equal participation in society would be to the detriment of men. It’s a specious argument at best, which ignores the reality that people who are transgender are entitled to participate as equals in society and to be protected from unlawful discrimination in employment, housing, healthcare, education and indeed sports.

The idea that you can ignore the example in the opening post of the man who claims he was the victim of unlawful discrimination because of his religious beliefs which he claims compel him to refer to anyone in a way which would be a violation of their dignity is an indication of your own privilege, and what you’re prepared to do to maintain your privilege regardless of how anyone else feels about themselves. Your argument has nothing to do with women’s welfare, it’s entirely centred on yourself, your own feelings and your own personal beliefs. Rather than gently suggesting anyone else check their privilege, it’s incumbent upon you to check your own privilege first before you attempt to check anyone else’s. I do appreciate that it was only a suggestion, but it’s not necessary.

Sorry, are you telling me what I believe and why?

Isn't that directly contradicting everything you say about allowing people to define themselves?

Also, you keep using the words "woman" and "women" but I genuinely don't know what you mean by them and you won't tell me.

Nope, I’m not. I’m telling you what I do and don’t believe, seeing as we’re both participating in a conversation.

I don’t believe you don’t know what I mean when I refer to women, and I’ve said already that I don’t need to define the word to know what a woman is. The only occasion when the definition could be of any importance is when someone tries to impose their own personal beliefs on anyone else. I haven’t tried to do that either, you’re free to believe whatever you want.

A man who thinks they are a woman, is not a woman.

A woman who thinks they are a man, is not a man.

The willingness of others to pander to those anti-reality beliefs, out of politeness rather than reality, is stupidity.

I'd say that it's worse than stupid because if it's tolerated among adults, it will be extended to children too. That's destructive and extremely short-sighted for the implications it has on society.

I'm not too bothered for what adults do to themselves, as long as it doesn't impact others. I couldn't care less what Trans people do to themselves, as long as it doesn't require everyone else to accommodate and validate their beliefs... but also that it isn't forced on to children by advocates of Trans beliefs or by Trans people themselves. That's my main problem with all of this.

This need by Trans people and their advocates to force others to comply to their reality, and that, logically, if they succeed in forcing others, they'll assume a position of justification in convincing children that they're confused over gender, or that they should be transitioned to suit to reality that the adults press on impressionable young children.

Simple question: is Lia Thomas a woman?

And does considering Lia Thomas to be a woman have any impact on other women, for example those Lia is beating at the Ivy League swim championships?

Are male sex offenders who are claiming to be women, and being put in women's prisons in Canada and California, women?

And can you understand that for the women they rape and assault when they are in there, the consequences of accepting male rapists as women are very, very real?

These things are happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Well let's put one common misconception about definitions to bed first because it comes up again and again and you are factually incorrect here.

The definition is not circular it's recursive. Circular definitions do not have a base case. If I try to define "number" and say "x+1 is a number if x is a number" that's circular. It becomes recursive if I give a base case such as "0 is a number".

Recursive definitions are absolutely valid scientific definitions and are not circular.

So "identifying as a woman" is a perfectly valid part of a definition of woman. And of course you know what the definition means.

It's why you avoided the difficult question of whether you knew if OEJ considers Hilary Clinton to be a woman. You know he does because you understand the definition. But you have to pretend to play dumb about it to preserve your incorrect "circular definition" argument.

If being a woman is all about chromosomes, why would "experience and thinking patterns" come into it? Are you respecting science yourself here?

No known sex offender should have access to potential victims.

"a woman is anyone who identifies as a woman" is a textbook circular definition.

The term being defined is included in the definition. That's what it means

If there is a base case it's not circular, it's recursive. Can you please deal with this point rather than posting an article about circular defintions that doesn't apply?

Do you understand what recursive definitions are?

Yes, and "a woman is anyone who identifies as a woman" isn't one.

You are attempting to tell me it isn't a circular definition. It very obviously is. I think anyone reading this conversation understands that.

What is the base case in your recursive definition?

BTW according to your definition I have no idea if Hilary Clinton is a woman. I don't know how she identifies at the moment.

You believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the moment she says "I am a man" she ceases to be a woman and becomes a man.

According to my own definition of course yes I know she's a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

What's the criteria for getting a gender recognition certificate?

The xx chromosomes definition is the base case. I agree that "anyone who identifies as a woman" is circular but it's usually said upon the basis that everyone agrees that the people with xx chromosomes are women and it doesn't need to be said.

For more precision the definition of a woman can be "those with xx chromosomes and also those who identify as a woman". There you have base case and recursion and it's a perfectly valid definition.

• Advertisement

Well of course but those standards you don't know if HC is a woman. By your definition you would need a chromosome test. Have you access to the results of this test?

But if you knew her chromosomes and you knew how she identifies (I think we can make a pretty good guess at both) then you'd know right?

Also I wasn't actually saying you would know whether she was a woman or not. I meant you would know what OEJ means. The definition would tell you who he considers to be a woman and you would understand it. They are two separate issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement