Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,714 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You have set up a strawman argument here. I never said anything about their 'rights'. They are 'allowed' or have the 'right' to say and do what they wish within the law.

Read carefully.

If you exhort or encourage people to involve themselves in democratic politics and then get sniffy when they come knocking on your door because they have been successful at it that is hypocritical and evidence that FG FF always had a glass ceiling in mind.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

youve hardly fell for the sf lie that the ira of the 1916 is the same organization as the bobby story slab murphy ira did you ?

or is there a national holiday celebrating fuel smuggling and drug running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

If i though you could understand it i would harry , try reading some history that wasn't rewritten by sfira you might realize the difference between politics and terrorism

Whether they are or not, they both acted without this 'mandate' you speak of. But one is good IRA and the other is bad IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is nothing hypocritical in "getting sniffy" about something, there is no glass ceiling in place, SF could be in power now if they really had the country's best interest at heart and were prepared to negotiate with other parties (which they will have to do in the future anyway).

This is your attempt at stifling debate, nothing more.

• Advertisement

This is a very odd thread at the best of times, there's constant running away and shutting down any talk of policy, a complete lack of any coherent figures (at least the government backed up it's housing objections even if some of them were misleading, SF has the chance to show they're wrong, but neglects to do so, likely because they can't).

And the main debate is hand wringing about the meanies in government not putting out the red carpet for an opposition party to get into power.

The mind boggles.

edit: and as much as it has shown up recently, at least the regular posters aren't shinnerbots

Please. State your position correctly. 'You find nothing 'hypocritical' about FG and FF getting sniffy.

The general public don't know who is behind the scenes in any party(suspicions have been voiced many times...but we don't actually know) but constantly we get media (that will claim to be independent) phrasing their sniffiness like this...see the use of the word 'lurks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

What freedom and independence are you referring to? The freedom for a woman to have an abortion? The freedom for two men to get married?

What annual holidays does the Republic of Ireland have to celebrate the IRA?

If I was trying to get you to vote for someone I would be articulating policy. I would also be doing that if I felt there was an onus on me to defend giving SF a vote in the last GE.

I don't feel that onus. I am here to discuss issues that interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

It seems you want no one to vote for SF then! (though you have to assume that others reading this will be influenced accordingly)

And now asking about "lurking" is hypocritical, it does leave you with very little maneuvering when criticising the government without being hypocritical about it yourself (you can't hide behind then GFA when facing criticism effecitively anymore). The internet remembers 😉

I would also argue about discussing issues, there has been very little issue discussing, no defence of the housing objections, no opinion around Lowry (as it will constrain your further opinions).

It does seem the SF tactic is to just avoid policy and discussion until the next election that's a few years away, O'Broin's awful performance recently (where it was effectively a missed open goal) will have them doubling down on this.

It's been good to see this all laid bare, even if the only response will be as vacuous as before.

Again with the self serving subjective view. There has been loads of discussion of housing. Again what you mean to say is you haven't gotten the answers you want.

Again also, the GFA is a live and working document/agreement. You cannot wave it away just because you don't like discussion of it or it's two signatories being held to account on observing it.

Again with the slipping and sliding, the last discussion on housing ended in farce due to a poster not understanding terms and not being able to give 1 worked example of what SF would do (apart from object apparantly without any evidence to the contrary).

The GFA doesn't apply in the ability to be critical of members of political parties, you're trying to extend it to areas that it doesn't apply to which calls into doubt your reading of the entire document.

Willfully misunderstanding what is being said doesn't help your argument. It just makes you look silly.

Again, I am not invoking the GFA or claiming their is a clause in it that prohibits the government being critical...I am calling their 'criticism' hypocritical because in that very agreement they signed up to exhorting and encouraging the very people they now claim are 'lurking' to involve themselves in democratic politics. That is hypocrisy all day long and until the cows come home etc etc etc.

The housing debate on here is ongoing and will continue. Again, just because you didn't get the answers you want, in the form you want, doesn't mean diddly squat.

OK, let's break it down and avoid the slipping and sliding:

because in that very agreement they signed up to exhorting and encouraging the very people they now claim are 'lurking' to involve themselves

I can encourage someone to go for a job, while also being critical of their ability to do that job, the encouragement can be indepdendent of the criticality, do you agree? If you agree, then the government aren't hypocritical. If you don't agree, then you're in the same boat as your friends on this thread in not understanding a multitude of terms.

But they aren't being critical of their ability, in fact, that wouldn't be their decision to make. That would be an 'irrelevant opinion, as that would only matter to SF.

They are 'astonished' that people they exhorted and encouraged to get involved in politics are actually involved in politics now. Hypocritical all day long until the cows etc etc etc.

Ok, so you complete misunderstand terms then (honestly, this just seems to be the reality distortion field put up to protect the id).

Your goal is to stifle debate, but in surfacing this opinion you have made your further opinions less relevant.

WTF? Ridiculous.

What does this mean?

(honestly, this just seems to be the reality distortion field put up to protect the id).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - OK this is getting tiresome

@mikethecop take 24 hours away from this thread. If you post in this thread before 3.30pm tomorrow your ban becomes permanent

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭malk518

What ya mean like Eoghan Harris type behavior? Attacking anyone who dare questions FFG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Mike there was no mandate for 1916, if you could prove me wrong you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Doasisaynotwhatido

What do you expect from the independent to be fair. They've been forced to apologize to Sinn Fein multiple times for fake news against them including remarkable claims in a few articles that Sinn Fein had organised a campaign of bullying and intimidation against RTE.

State broadcaster RTÉ came in for severe criticism as it slashed Sinn Féin’s election coverage following a poll in the Sunday Business Post on 14 February during the 2016 election which showed the party gaining ground.

RTÉ claimed its constant attacks and questioning of Sinn Féin over its stance on the Special Criminal Court amounted to an unfair advantage – to Sinn Féin! And for two days the voices of Sinn Féin candidates were banned from the airways in a bizarre episode of state censorship of the one of the top political parties in Ireland.

During the 2020 election RTE tried to ban Sinn Fein from the leaders debate but after threats of legal action from Sinn Fein and outrage nationwide RTE changed their mind the day before the debate and allowed them to appear on it.

You claimed this erroneously before:

During the 2020 election RTE tried to ban Sinn Fein from the leaders debate but after threats of legal action from Sinn Fein and outrage nationwide RTE changed their mind the day before the debate and allowed them to appear on it.

After the local elections, nobody (including SF themselves) gave them a chance in the GE, when this changed, they were brought into rearranged leader debates.

To imply they were banned is incorrect, they just weren't invited at the time, same as leaders from other parties which were unlikely to lead the Government (and SF gave up their chance to lead Government anyway...).

That's some technicality you've got there. "They didn't bam them they just didn't invite them".

Anyway luckily after threats of legal action from Sinn Fein and national outrage RTE they changed their minds and allowed Sinn Fein to appear in the leaders debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You repeat the same point ad nauseum with it making as little sense as always. Sure, those disgusting convicted terrorists that habitate Sinn Fein, those who ran kangaroo courts for child abuse, those who dispensed summary kneecapping justice on kids, they can all become advisers if that is what Sinn Fein wants.

However, the question is should they? The answer to that, in the minds of decent people, is no. Just like ordinary decent people wouldn't like it is Sean Fitzpatrick was appointed as an adviser to Paschal Donohoe, then ordinary decent people wouldn't like Slab Murphy getting a job as adviser.

In saying that you have no problem with any convicted terrorist getting a job as adviser, you are also saying that you have no problem with Michael Lowry being a Minister, or Michael Fingleton being his chief adviser. Ordinary decent people like myself have a problem with both.

You don't, which says everything.

'Ordinary decent people' should have said that or made that a caveat when they signed up to exhorting and encouraging these people into democratic politics.

That they didn't and now try to introduce it, is hypocrisy and freaky attempts at controlling.

Who encouraged and exhorted people who did what Lowry and Fingleton did to get involved in politics? No comparison tbh.

Which Sinn Fein members ran kangaroo courts or kneecapped anyone? Plenty of people in Sinn Fein over the years have fought the British, none of them have done what you claimed in that post.

Can you provide any sources for your extraordinary claims about serving Sinn Fein TDs? Or is this just more of the usual crap you make up and then disappear for a while when asked to provide sources.

I see you have taken a leaf from the Francie Brady school of misrepresentation handbook.

I never mentioned Sinn Fein TDs, I mentioned those who might be appointed as advisors.

• Advertisement

Nobody exhorted and encouraged those people into democratic politics. They were told in no uncertain terms to give up the criminal terrorist campaign.

As convicts and cheats and scam artists, they get the same democratic latitude as Lowry and Fingelton. Getting into democratic politics involves having your past examined. No exoneration, no pardons, warts and all, let's see what these Sinn Fein advisers are like.

Advertisement