Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Very gusty here in Kilkenny. Feels stronger than last Fridays storm especially in the gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Quite a few planes being diverted from cork airport due to the winds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Glad I got off the motorway in Galway before that last shower, just in the door and a big gust sent the 2 bins down the garden and is testing my bike shed build skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Seems wilder today in West Dublin compared to Eunice, but not so according to @sryanbruen table (which is much appreciated btw - I always love your tables and charts).

For Dublin the yellow warning will be gone by 9am Monday but marine warning remains until 2pm.

Is that likely too windy for a walk out to Poolbeg lighthouse around midday on Monday? Genuine question as I've only ever been out in calm weather, and would enjoy a blustery walk, but at the same time have no intention of doing anything foolish or risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sudocremegg

Post edited by sudocremegg on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any coastal area needs to be treated with extreme caution in weather like today tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A bit surprised how strong the winds are with this one, and "only" a yellow warning. A falling tree has hit a car in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Gusts getting close to red category

Mace head 126kmh

Knock Airport 124kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Condor24

This is like the storms I used to know and love as a kid. It's quite quiet in between showers but once they hit you can hear the wind coming from half a mile away very strong, with sleety snow hitting in sheets between squalls. Classic set up. Then ten minutes or so later, all quiet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looking rather stormy tonight, my orange warning in in effect from 7pm till 7am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Same here in Newport, a bit of a calm and then you can hear the rumble coming from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Nothing much in Cork

Yellow about right, obviously looks much worse in the Northwest though I still think high end orange is sufficient

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That's another clear upgrade from AROME, very strong winds here in Kerry, starting to howl now.

Very strong winds across the country overnight, treat it like an Orange warning and even though the NW is an Orange I would think treat it like a red, wont be much difference, top end Orange at least. Definetly Red along the coasts.

Could easily make the whole country Orange level .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Every time there's a vicious shower of hail the wind is gusting over 100kph in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just has had a light hail and sleet shower with a few snowflakes in North Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Take Care, I hope all goes well

West and North West looks to be getting hit the worse

It's worth remembering to check in on elderly neighbours in this weather. I just popped in to to check on my neighbour, she's 87 and lives alone. I asked her did she need any shopping done, she did. So I handed her my shopping list as well. No point the both of us going out in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Cant understand there problem updating warnings and leaving it last minute. Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim warrent a red for layer and probably will see stronger winds recorded that the southwest on Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very nasty gusts out already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

Calmed down a good bit now in East Clare but it was one rough day ,windiest of all the last 3 storms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Hopefully it stays relatively calm for you for the eve. No real let up here in Mayo. A few scary gusts but hopefully the wind direction shelters us a bit.

Max gust in Arklow 101.8

Two gusts in quick succession above 101kmh at 343pm and 344pm

Gust of 90kmh last hour

And we are on the East Coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ascophyllum

Doubt we'll see red now after the 6pm news, doesn't change much as anyone that's out and about for the evening is out now probably.

Very surprising there isn't even a red marine warning, the swell/wind combo doesn't get redder than this! And it also has the effect of letting people in coastal areas know they're basically in a red zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head 68 knots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ya, bad gusts here in Sligo town. Nearly as bad as storm Barra back in December.

Newport and Finner both 119kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Condor24

I will say this is an inland phenomenon. By the coast it will be a constant gale. Gone quiet now but more showers packing in so it could be an interesting night.

• Advertisement

Some areas seeeing snow showers now.

Advertisement