Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maripol could be attacked from there, Russian forces couldn't sieze it from the Azoz batillion ,the Russians landing craft are actually sitting there too ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Putin's kind of stuck, here. He hasn't got the element of surprise to launch this invasion and plans to manufacture a reason to go in have been flimsy at best, but if he backs down, he'll look like a chump to his people, or perhaps more importantly to himself. He needs some form of geopolitical concession from NATO countries, but is a genuine one forthcoming? Would a token concession suffice?

Going into Ukraine itself would not be worthwhile unless it's part of a gradual plan to take out Finland and even the Baltic states as well. Those countries represent a massive border with either NATO or NATO-friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭zv2

Firstly I'm not a Putinbot. All of these factions - America, NATO, Russia, - are potentially evil. Also, a missile free no-man's-land could calm things. Nuclear bombs take time to go the distance and time is of the essence in war. An agreement could be reached whereby Ukraine would be a NATO member but with no missiles in its territory. There are lots of compromises that could be reached. Or else put the missiles in Ukraine and let the Russians put them in Cuba. See how the Americans would like that.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, I remember those Scandinavians poisoning people in Russia, shooting down Russian airliners and using terrorists as proxies for wars in Russia alright

At least Putinbots have a modicum of cuteness, theses freelancers are just embarassing.

It could easily be done under the UN ,and all sides could be called and shown any videos of breeches on battle lines and asked to explain publicly what they were doing ,

There is a lot of Russian military equipment inside ukraine that doesn't belong to the Ukrainian government and a lot of it is new equipment not left over from the Soviet era

• Advertisement

What missiles are you talking about pointing to Moscow?

I never excused the Russians of anything. And you can't divorce one NATO country from the rest. 'All for one...' is the very essence of the NATO alliance. The point I have been making throughout is that ALL these factions are dangerous. All of them have terrible histories: Guantanamo, Belsen, The Brits. in NI,...

This is not good guys/bad guys. They are all dangerous and a way has to be found to defuse the situation.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Russian troops in Moldova were stood up and put on high readiness last night in another so called Putin sponsored separatist area Transnistria

It could easily be done under the UN ,and all sides could be called and shown any videos of breeches on battle lines and asked to explain publicly what they were doing

Yep. They could have sensors to pick up on chemical attacks right away too. All in an ideal world of course, which this isn't, but it's a nice thought.

• Advertisement

Maybe you can point out on a map the NATO countries that have done any of those things to Russia

As Filatov pointed out, this can easily happen if Ukraine joins NATO. Ukraine should be able to join but only on condition NATO agrees not to put missiles there. There must be a free zone between east and west. NATO are provoking the situation be expanding eastward without restraint. There must be restraint. Otherwise the situation becomes tense and remains tense endlessly. I would not expect either side to accept this.

You'll find that moral compasses among Guardianistas only operate westwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Why is it in the remit of NATO/US/EU to give concessions? It is Ukraine that must decide if concessions are to be made and what that are.

They may be willing to release separatist held areas in the east of the country and a ban on a NATO base in the eastern part of their country but I hope they would get some important concessions from Russia as a result. Although, I wouldn't hold my breath.

If international law ensures that some war criminals are prosecuted it is better than no war criminals ever being prosecuted. Nothing is fair and nothing is perfect. Feeling sour about the way it is practiced is understandable, but souring on the very principle of having some international laws, conventions, and boundaries around warfare is nihilistic. We can do better.

You know Russia have missiles pointing towards Europe now?

If any missiles are pointing towards Moscow its a response to that

And no its no nuclear missiles in NATO in Europe except for British and French nuclear subs

@Dyr

You should research the treatment of Russian prisoners of war during WW2. You should also remember that the Russians still have the horror of war in their consciousness. They too were terrified during the cold war. They too were told to 'duck and cover' because the Americans were the bad guys. People here keep talking about things as if the Americans are good and Russians are bad. That's that kind of thing that leads to war in the first place. You tell me why this terror is coming from ALL sides and I'll tell you who the really evil ones are.

You mean the treatment of Russian prisoners by Nazi Germany during WW2... before NATO founded? Why on earth would I research that? I suppose I could research what Russian troops did to the civilian population in the Eastern half of Europe during WW2 while I was at it?

Your attempts at moral equivalence have zero grounding in reality and make you sound like you should be studying for your Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Belarussian "referendum" is on Sunday 27th, the result of that will effectively make Belarus a Russian vassal by keeping Lukashenko in power indefinitely (also known as 2035) - but that means Russian troops would likely stay until at least the "referendum". After that we'll see if the Russian troops will head back east from Belarus, or south.

• Advertisement

Well Russia should not do this, but that is what NATO expansion leads to. But there has to be concessions on both sides. If Ukraine joins NATO without conditions NATO can put what it likes in there. These situations are not rocket science (pun intended). The dynamics are relatively simple; keep weapons away from no man's land. But, no doubt, there are people who don't want it to be simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I don't know why the poster asked you to research that but anyway the Russians almost single handedly defeated the Nazis, with some minor help from the USA and UK.

The same Jake Sullivan pushing fake lies between Trump and Russia for years.

How can NATO expansion lead to that?NATO membership by many of Russias neigbours is a response to Russias agression and past with the soviet union and kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sure Harry, and while we are at it now how about a mention of how many innocent people isis. al-quaeda, al-shabab have killed ( hint; its in the hundreds of thousands ), you think that maybe they should be held accountable too? And maybe compensation could be discussed as well? Because for sure the US will investigate that bombing, and compensation paid to the survivors, as has been done in the past. Now as for isis.......

One good thing to come out of this crisis is this tune. It accompanies loads of Tik Toks of the Russian tanks

Do you really think that if there was a war all NATO people would obey the Geneva Convention to the letter? All of the countries we are speaking about committed war crimes; Brits, Germans, Russians, Americans...

There is now over 10 Russian amphibious assault vessels in the azoz sea ,

This is something worth keeping an eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

You are completely deluded.

The USA does not investigate civilian casualties any more than Russia does, in a report by the New York Times over civilian casualties on US airstrikes not a single record provided included a finding of wrongdoing or disciplinary action in relation to aerial bombing by the USA, despite thousands of civilians being killed in the last few years alone.

One thing that can be noted in any mass murder of innocent civilians by the USA, any mass murder you read up on they always tried to cover it up. Only when they get found out are they forced to admit it and add it into their official figures. The real figures of civilian deaths by airstrikes is clearly far higher than they claim it to be.

You can talk about ISIS all you want, ISIS probably wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the illegal invasion of Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

basically Putin wants to talk to EU not USA..he will keep piling op pressure to stop Kiev joining NATO. France,Germany etc don't want war in Europe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement