Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Yeah sounds the same. Started end October, has gradually gotten worse. Was due to be checked when in for service in early December, but had to cancel the service as the little lad was sick. Booked for service and look at the issue on feb 10th, but brought it in earlier and asked them to check as it was getting louder and starting to worry me.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A potential option if it really does end up being a 10 k job is to maybe get a 2nd hand motor off a crashed car or the like.

At 3 weeks out of warranty the "goodwill gesture option" is very much still in play if the car has a full main dealer history.

Keep pushing them until you get a satisfactory outcome.

3 weeks ago Hyundai would have been taking the full 10 k hit under warranty.

Theres a strong case that the bill shouldn't be anything like 10 k to you now.

The "im not buying another Hyundai again if this isn't sorted" card is very strong.

Plus the fact you will be telling people you know about this issue.

Hope it gets sorted without too much expense at your end.

Its possible btw that you might end up getting a solution that involves you paying something.

The key is to minimise the amount of money you shell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

But from the link that KCross posted above, it seems that the motor isn't the root cause of the problem and the likely cause is a tiny misalignment of the splined shafts causing wear on the bearings?

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/2020-ev-whirring-noise.36054/post-474473

And it's possible that if the motor is replaced, the same problem will reoccur in a number of years time. What kind of warranty do you get on a replacement motor? 5 years, 12 months?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought the motor comes under the 8 year warranty or is that purely for the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

I notice that changing the oil for for the reduction gear is in the service schedule for the new I5 at around 60k km but not in the old Ioniq service schedule,

maybe this was causing some issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Looking at a high milage ioniq 28. Anything I should look out for of be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

Post a link to the ad. Warranty is age and mileage based and depends on year of manufacture too, as they changed it over the years

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-automatic/30443802

That's redulicously cheap. I would consider it myself. However 5 year everything Hyundai warranty is up before end this year, battery 200,000km warranty is up. You would need to budget 5,000 for any future problems, but at that price it's a bargain. Even if the battery totally failed you could probably source and fit a used replacement and still save. Things that tend to go on high mileage ioniq 28kWh? I don't know of any. There is the current and previous recalls which you should check have already been done, but one was only January this year. You should check everything electrical is working and get a mechanic to check basics like for NCT. If you are technically minded use a cheap obd reader to read back battery health and check if any battery cells look to be on the way out. I would also check for any noises from the motor or "gearbox" in case bearings are on their way out. If you can take the risk of something major going at a future date and if you have the cash on hand to fix it or buy a replacement car then I would grab it with both hands. If you tell seller you know warranty is out, then you might get a discount. I would check it over 100% with mechanic, even bring it to local garage and ask to lift it up and check. I would be quick too ad it may sell quick. Bring a raincoat!

Post edited by zg3409 on

After looking up some reviews of that dealership I think I'm going to pass. It looks to good to be true and I don't have the time to check everything in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Seems to be gone already or the add is removed

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How much was it lads?

And for future reference, always good to describe this sort of stuff in your post, before the ad is gone and us late clickers are none the wiser.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah that's a scam for sure. Ioniqs would start from 15-16k even for a 162 plate with 200k km

Yeah, definite whiff of too good to be true off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Any recommendations for a pure sine wave inverter to plug into car for emergency power? I saw someone talking about it the other day but the search function is so bad now I can't find it. Something about getting a fused one for safety, what's that about?

A guy on Facebook in Navan is offering a protective cover for the ioniq/Hyundai granny cable charger control box. This rubber pocket reduces the chances of the control box from cracking if dropped. It's an official recall supplied for free by Hyundai. If anyone has the official granny charger without this protective cover as Hyundai or pm me and I'll put you in touch.

/

I don't think I have that cover, is it free?

I got it for free at my last service.

However I don't have a granny cable for it!

• Advertisement

Actually if anyone doesn't have the cover, but needs it - free to collect from me in D12.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Hey, I'm going to be putting my 191 Ioniq 28 up for sale in the next week or so as I'm trading up. Imported from NI, Grey, with 30k miles on it. In excellent condition bar 1 small piece of damage to the passenger side rear wheel arch.

Drop me a PM if you'd like more info. I'm in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I’d be delighted to take it off your hands if still available? I’ll send you a PM now…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

did the 28kW finish in 2019 or 2020, im seeing conflicting info...

Mine is 2019 and is a 28kwh model. 2020 cars are all 38kwh. It's possible there are some late 2019 38kwh models knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Exclusing the bigger battery, and the slower charging speeds, does the 38kWh Ioniq gain/lose anything feature-wise when compared to the 28kWh Premium or Premium SE?

Does the 38 have lame keep assist? Adaptive cruise control?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Vaguely remember hearing the 38 didn't come with adaptive cruise control. Double check though. It might have cruise, but perhaps not adaptive.

Advertisement