Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Comments

• I would imagine that the stability of quite a few trees were damaged during Eunice and today finished them off. It's been a wild day from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Lights flickered a few times here outside Newport. Genuinely hoping this doesn't get much worse later. Some gusts were very powerful earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon 9pm gusting 60 knots. bang on with taf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Unexpected light bit of snow just now in South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

We had nothing of note in Galway with Eunice Franklin is a proper storm the wind gusts are very strong and sustained , friend had a large mobile holiday home in Mayo he was in it today when it was torn apart he never saw anything like it nothing left .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,568 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would say the very strong winds will continue to come at similar levels in Mayo and Galway, with slight variations hour by hour, easing slightly by midnight there, but Donegal and Sligo could see even slightly stronger gusts at times for quite a few hours yet as the strongest gradient winds are indicated around midnight to 0300h. In Donegal I would watch for heavy sleet or snow to develop as there is an area of enhanced satellite imagery moving in there from the northwest fairly soon. In those winds, it will become a total whiteout especially over higher stretches of road travel. Those conditions could come and go further south into Connacht too. This won't really ease off much until past sunrise in some areas. I would expect more variable conditions on the east coast and in Munster with intervals that get quite stormy then intervals that are more benign, that being because it's a longer overland travel for both the wind gusts and the convective showers. But even if you're driving in relatively good conditions be aware that earlier squalls that may have missed you could have brought down tree branches where you're driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Plenty of the white schtuff has fallen in D24 tonight. All the cars on my estate are white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and the power is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperatures rising now from the west so any sleet/snow at low levels should be turning back to rain shortly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This evening not as bad as yesterday evening in Meath, some gales but it was much more noticeable last night and earlier today. Managed to avoid all the showers as well this afternoon and evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 cashcow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 75kt or 139km/h at Mace. 6 stations reporting 100km/h plus gusts.

Here in Waterford City a wild day with torrential downpours and gusts near 80km/h. Snow in the mix in the last shower.

Defintely a worse weather day than Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cashcow

I'll take a guess at weather station location, theirs a hill to the west of it so surely some shielding there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

That is some gust at mace head. I dunno how the power is on here in Mayo.Fair play to the ESB. If that was 20 years ago most of Mayo/Sligo would be in the dark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bit of thunder to accompany the squally hail in Ennis this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Huge flash of lightning outside Limerick City.

Followed by a few rumbles of thunder.

There's no hill sheltering Belmullet, I've been beside it several times. Newport Furnace is south of a mountain close to a lake, not much shelter from the west but north, south and east would see some shelter.

Edit; Belmullet 9pm max gust was 91km/hr whereas Newport Furnace max was 120km/hr. That's a decent difference for two stations so close, especially since Belmullet has less shelter and is slightly further west and north.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Agree. Also not wanting to start a blame game. But it's fecking ferocious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I went for a long walk this afternoon and walking along the river lee into cork city, the wind would cut through you, and got caught in the rain twice and hailstone once. It was that cold that when I took my keys out to open the front door it took me a few seconds ti get the feeling in my hands. Also, my cat who will go out in most weather is curled up on the chair next to me and is showing no signs of moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Power gone here SW Donegal, a proper storm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

With such an already saturated ground it won't take much for trees and branches to come down, I've my gas stove, touch, candles and flask at the ready just in case power goes here in carrick on Shannon, very gusty out now

Just to add that was the ladies football match between wexford and wicklow

Tough women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Very wild night (and most of the afternoon) in west Kerry even though we are in a yellow warning. Some ferocious gusts - eases for a while and you think it's passed and then back again like a train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm in the dark here.... the wind is roaring. First wild winter storm in years....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon Airport had a 62-knot gust between 2100-2150Z (hourly SYNOP report). In the past 10 minutes (METAR) it gusted to 40 knots.

Satellite-derived winds at 6 pm (overpass only caught a section of the strongest windfield), with hurricane-force (purple) edging closer to Donegal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement