Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing in Johnstown Court, Cabinteely

Options
  • 28-09-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

50 social housing apartments being built at Johnstown Court, Cabinteely. What are people's opinions on this? To be managed by Cluid homes. For what I have been told, Cluid seems to cater for vulnerable people. I am in the process of buying nearby (Carraig Bui, new development off Johsntown Road) and I am a bit wary of 50 social units being 5 minutes walk from our development.

https://rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Construction-Status-Report-Q4-2019-1.pdf

Page 34 of the report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I would say a) that'll teach you to get a proper reference done and b) we live in a community not a private island surrounded by sharks, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I would say a) that'll teach you to get a proper reference done and b) we live in a community not a private island surrounded by sharks, get over yourself.

Why so aggressive? I’m just asking for opinions. I haven’t signed contracts yet for my purchase, so I’m doing proper research prior to that. I’m not too overly concerned, just looking for people’s opinions. Get over yourself, will you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Your link doesn't work.

rubadub wrote: »
    Your link doesn't work.

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

50 social housing apartments being built at Johnstown Court, Cabinteely. What are people's opinions on this? To be managed by Cluid homes. For what I have been told, Cluid seems to cater for vulnerable people. I am in the process of buying nearby (Carraig Bui, new development off Johsntown Road) and I am a bit wary of 50 social units being 5 minutes walk from our development.

https://rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Construction-Status-Report-Q4-2019-1.pdf

Page 34 of the report

Why would you be wary of that? Turn right when you come out of Carraig Bui and Mackintosh Park is five minutes away. Turn left and you're five minutes from Pearse Villas. There has always been social housing in that general area. Maybe you need to move somewhere more exclusive. I'd suggest Vico Road, but Ballybrack is only a few minutes away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

.anon. wrote: »
    Why would you be wary of that? Turn right when you come out of Carraig Bui and Mackintosh Park is five minutes away. Turn left and you're five minutes from Pearse Villas. There has always been social housing in that general area. Maybe you need to move somewhere more exclusive. I'd suggest Vico Road, but Ballybrack is only a few minutes away.
    And you could have a gob****e like Bono as a neighbour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

there's another posting about this

there's a big bang in portmararknock and malahide and they don't live in social housing causing havok and attacking and stealing other young people 40-50 at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gus75

Thanks for bringing this up here, otherwise I would have never hit the information myself.

There is a big impact on the families living in Johnstown Court where 101 apartments are being added to their small historical neighborhood by the developer of the new development down the road, sharing their only exit to Johnstown Road.

The plan was doubled-up during the pandemic, maybe because the developer could not sell the 4th apartment block of at good price so they (or an investor) lease it to the council at €1900/unit/month... No developer was harmed in this shooting 🙂.

Anyway, in an area with a bit intense traffic we are going to see a 3X increase in population.

Anybody looking to buy or move house should check the corresponding area in the government plans here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/cb885-social-housing-construction-projects-status-reports/

Yes, two blocks of apartments, with one alreading housing people will be at the entrance of Johnstown Court. At the back of it, there will be two two bed houses. There will be a new apartment block in the Carraig Bui development, but that will not have access to Johnstown court, as far as I know.

I moved to the area in December and I agree with you regarding the traffic. I don't know how busy Johnstown was before, but now it can be quite busy at certain times

The high density rental in Carraig Bui consists of 48 apartments at the moment. I think a block of 8 more is to be built in 2022-23, bringing it to a total of 56 apartments.

Advertisement