Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The inner critic is one of my biggest problems, am engaged with a hse psychologist and we're exploring that among other things.. It's fascinating and frightening in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rose27588

Does anyone else feel alienated from friends and family? At the start when I split with my fiancé one year ago people were great, going out for drives with friends but now it’s like nobody wants to be around me because I’m so depressed, when I talk about my feelings I feel like they ignore and avoid it. I understand it’s hard dealing with someone who is depressed but I feel so so lonely and I don’t think I want to exist any more. I’ve given up after three different anti-depressants and not getting anywhere with counseling

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Yeah, it can be really hard to connect when you have depression, Rose. It’s like depression gives you a thin skin or vulnerability that others aren’t so attracted to. Does that make any sense? That’s how it is for me anyhow. Maybe if you could really get comfortable on your own company, where you try to be as self compassionate with inner voice as possible and then venture out? Just a suggestion. I don’t know how to Silence that inner voice or vulnerability myself but it’s worth trying??

I also found counselling a little pointless but I think it’s about finding the right therapist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

For me it was terrible. Like, genuinely terrible. Went to one psych who just met me, and within ten minutes prescribed Effexor. Effexor is for a condition not related to my own. It f**ked me up so badly, I had to go off of it. It really did a number on me. I stopped taking it, went back on my previous meds, which I'd be doing pretty well on. He also told me 'Get a girlfriend'... that that would help me out. Not bringing anyone else into my mental health minefield.

Another started getting seriously nosy into my private life. My friend has experience with those two as well, and one of them nearly killed him (completely wrong meds, similar to myself). My friend is bi-polar, and he can't mess around with the wrong meds. I tend to know when he's got the wrong meds, he starts talking silly, flights of fancy stuff. He had to go into hospital until they sorted out the meds.

Then you get handed over to trainees, but you only get a few sessions. And it's often not the amount of sessions you may need. But they're often in way over their head, and so you just think 'fine'. Then seek private help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭apache

That is terrible. The private has it's flaws too. I've been treated for bipolar for the last 6 years and on a tonne of medication. Misdiagnosis, don't have it. Coming slowly down off that medication. Got away from that professor but I can't find a private psychiatrist to take me on because I have drug addiction issues. Yeah I'm on 2 dopamine blockers and I can't even get high lol. Apparently once addiction is in the picture you are referred to public. It took a €250 video call to tell me that!

So I'm left frustrated. I'm waiting 4 months now for this public appointment.I have stopped seeing my counselor because I felt I was getting too attached to him. I've been seeing him for years. I feel a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Baddabing1

Hi all, I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for years now and feel I am clinging on by my fingernails now. I have made an appointment with a doctor but was wondering how easy it is to get medication on a first appointment. I had counselling years ago and it only made me worse, really feel like I need something like prozac to pick me up before pursuing further treatment. I am terrified that the appointment with the doctor is going to be a waste of time.

Hi Baddabing 1, they will give you medication if you need it, and it sounds like you do need something to help regulate your mood. I also have anxiety, GAD, and I’m on pregabalin which has really helped with panic attacks. Hope all gets sorted for you

ps counselling is so arbitrary. It depends on your connection with the counsellor, how well you are etc

Thanks bejeezus for replying. I hope you are correct and I get something, really can't go on like this anymore. Feel like I am on the edge of the cliff now. The doctor I am going to see is not my regular GP, just someone I could get an appointment with ASAP. Don't really want to go to my own GP as I don't think he would give me anything.

• Advertisement

Really hope you do. Meds aren’t the be all and end all but they can really take the edge off acute anxiety and depression. They might suggest you see the psychiatrist too. I would take the offer. I stalled there for years and the depression wasn’t under control as a result.

That's exactly what I need, just something to take the edge off and get me to a state where I can engage with further treatment. Right now, if I was asked to see a psychiatrist I wouldn't be able to make the appointment. I have no motivation to get dressed in the morning never mind leave the house. Just need something to get me back to a position where I can function somewhat normally.

Good luck baddabing1.

Cut 15mg Abilify in half this morning. Can't really get it exact. It will be more some days and less the next. Back to GP next week and hoping to bring it down to 5mg which will be easier to manage.

It's taking ages but at least things are going in the right direction and I don't have any adverse effects. Working on diet and exercise too.

I'm still on other meds that numbs me and makes everything flat. But can just tackle one thing at a time. I'm a bit more hopeful about things.

Off cannabis a week too. It was a very long week but the brain fog is clearing a bit.

I'm still annoyed that I was pumped full of meds the past 6 years and misdiagnosed. Am very wary about psychiatrists after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm really miserable, someone close to me is in a desperate situation and I cannot help them

Anybody any experience of going through A+E? Like the wait times and if it was good or bad treatment..

• Advertisement

Private A&E for an actual injury, was in and out in no time

Sorry I've no experience of it for a mental health issue, but if you think you need it then go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You can still be there for them.. Horrible to feel helpless i know..

Hit and miss to be quite honest about it.. dependant on who you see and how much pressure is on the system.. I've been three times, sent home twice with referral to outpatient where i already was. Other visit they said wait about and if i felt more unstable to come to them again. Just my experience though i suppose

I suppose even if I got a follow up appointment and a review of my meds would be something. I don't expect anything much.

I have a letter from my GP. I just don't have the patience to queue for hours in A+E.

Wait, have you been referred before or is your gp trying to get you in to see the services now?

• Advertisement

I've been referred from private to public. I'm waiting about 4 months so far. No sign of any appointment coming up. He says I need to go to link in with the services. It's the only way I'll get seen. I am seeing nobody at the moment.

Oh i see. Get the phone number of local outpatient services and see if they pick up the phone. Ask for updates and do so weekly.. Going through casualty these days may have varying results

Yeah but I really need to see someone. I can't remember the name of the clinic or where it is that I'm waiting on so can't ring them.

He gave me a letter because things are bad.

In that case try midweek after ten in the morning but yes be prepared for a wait.. I feckin hate the system and that you are going through this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Had to get a medical to renew my driver's license.

That application was delayed for a year due to covid.

All ok now, so forms submitted.

But it was another thing that was really getting to me.

Anxiety + waiting is such torment.

Depression stops me dealing with things, which just increases the waiting and anxiety too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,083 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its absolutely disgraceful that people are treated like this

I am suicidal but the thoughts of going to A&E fill me with dread. The stress of having to talk and explain myself although the letter may help. And the waiting....I can't do it......I wouldn't be able to handle that at all.

Part of me believes that A&E is only for physical complaints. I feel like a burden if I did go in. That's something I need to work on.

I tried to PM you but it's not working for me...Permission not granted?

Anyway that's besides the point, if you are feeling like that. I remember one time I went to A&E and sat in the car and they rang me when it was time to go in. Do you have a significant other or friend that would go with you? Pity I'm not free today otherwise I would take you, assuming you're in Dublin

As an alternative, do you have an employee assistance program you can ring? Or even the samaritans? I find both very helpful

Mind yourself, these feelings won't last forever trust me

I'm so angry on your behalf, I really am.. Could you get in touch with your previous private doctor to see if they can push you forward?

Thanks very much for the posts.

@One More Toy I have tried that txt TALK number. It's a txt exchange instead of speaking. I find it takes the edge off sometimes.

I wouldn't trust the employee assistence people. They are ordinary Joe Soaps, being in it looks good for the CV if you are interested in getting promoted. In my job anyway.

@Gremlinertia I'll try and find out what local clinic I'm on the waiting list for. I haven't been in touch with my previous private Dr because I'll only have an arguement with him over misdiagnosing me for last 6 years. I'm real annoyed with him. Best leave him in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have to commend you, if I may and indeed all those who have an continue to be remarkably supportive on this Thread. There is so much negativity, lack of understanding round mental health and its inspiring to see such decency here.

Well done 😉

I've my own challenges, fortunate to have support and have just been reffered for additional supports.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Hi all

Not been here in a long time. Despite all the crap been thrown at me I fought back.

Last year I suffered a traumatic brain injury which left me paralyzed on the right hand side.

Something happened which amazed everyone. You would have thought I'd just give up but I didn't, it's my 2nd chance.

I thought about many people and things and drew some inspiration. Fast forward nearly one year and I'm walking,cooking e.t.c. Independent so to speak. Just having a little bit of hope can make you do incredible things.

I have traumatic 4th nerve palsy as a result but I learn how to deal with it and hopefully can get back to some sort of normality soon.

I wasn't working due to my anxiety and depression plus drank to beat it, self medication .Not a good combination.

I'm nearly one year alcohol and cigarette free and I'm not on any medication now and have managed to get myself a lovely Girlfriend aswell. I'm not saying this as a 'look at me' type of post, maybe it can inspire others who think it's impossible, it's not, I'm living proof of that.

It's hard watching sports wishing I could play again but small steps, perhaps something is not far away. My arm is still week so I'm using my left hand to attempt to write. I plan on looking for work in June but not sure what I can do now but we will see.

Look after yourself people, You are not alone, don't be afraid to talk.

It's ok not to be ok

Bohsceltic, it is very nice to hear from you!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That must have been so difficult for you. But you have come through it even stronger than before.

Don't be a stranger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Taking a board.ie break. Sucking up my energy along with everything else. Will check back in a few months. Hopefully we have a good Spring and people here get regular peace and quiet in their lives. Avoid the rushing and chaos, if you can and keep it simple.

Could anyone who's on Prozac (Or a similar anti-depressant) give me a quick PM? Just want to ask a couple of questions as my doc wants me to be on it

Any ideas guys?

I need to ring Pieta house but it's an 0818 number and would cost me 38c a minute. Not sure what to do

Is there any options to call someone else or would email asking for callback work?.

I could try ringing their crises number and asking for a call back maybe?

• Advertisement

I looked at Pieta's website there and there's a freephone no 1800247247 or txt Help to 514444. The freephone number should work though. It might charge you for the txts.

Thanks guys, I found an email for them, I didn't want to waste the crisis line's time with my query

I have wasted the past 6 months it seems. I thought I was on a waiting list for public refferal. Psychiatrist (who I had assessment with) says my GP should have referred me, GP says psychiatrist should have done it.

I will obtain and read report next week to find out who is at fault. It's very frustrating but despite this I am doing ok and am still drug free (which I am very pleased about).

So I'm in no mans land at the moment. The system is a joke.

That is all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

###########

This thread is 6 years old and 314 pages long, I don't even know if people can read all that and participate. I personally would walk away from this monster pile of words.

No onus nor even expectation on anyone to read what pre exists their discovery of the thread.. Just somewhere to come if the title of the thread seems suitable to you.

This feels like a troll.

Not you, the person you're responding to.

• Advertisement

New year my ass, this has been the most stressful start of a year in a long time.. Mood is mostly so low that i'm close to asleep out of misery, yesterday morning i was seething with anger for two hours or so, muscles still paying for that.. One week to month end which might resolve a few things one way or another though, cling on

I think it's the weather. Normally I wouldn't blame the weather so much, but three storms in one week will take a toll on ya. My sleep has been battered worse than a cod fillet, despite getting a decent sleep. Just feel tired due to crappy weather.

But the winds, the rain, the worry one gets with this mess of a weather system, isn't fun.

Keep going. But try and take some mindful rest time. I think it's needed.

Storms don't help, work is tougher with them true, they are like the cherry on top of a real sh1tshow start to a year..

Hope you are doing ok, few more days of unsettled weather yet.

I'm doing 50/50, which is a bit better than how the year started. I've started taking more vitamins, because I just really felt drained, and the weather wasn't helping. Outside of the storms, there was lots of rain.

My sleep in the last few days was better, but the storms still threw me off. Went to bed early Saturday in order to catch up on sleep. It helped a bit.

So how is everyone?

I know the weather has been rubbish, and even if you don't suffer from S.A.D, it will still affect your mood.

I did find myself a bit snappy today, but these storms are doing that to me, I've found. I don't like how they interfere with my schedule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement