Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

How convenient the Queen catches covid from Prince Charles days after she announced Camilla the lad would be Queen when she pops her clogs. Charles you naughty boy. I'm not one to speculate though..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not that I care one way or the other but pretty sure Camilla is not going to be Queen but rather some legal construct called King's Consort or something like that. Big difference I believe in the circles where it matters.

My employer are currently trying to keep social distancing and masks in place.

Nobody really cares too much as people just don't adhere anyways but it's still annoying all the same.

Does anyone know if they are actually allowed to do this when it's no longer government mandated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

@[Deleted User] Masks are still mandated/required until the 28th

The Taoiseach has said that the Government will be accepting all advice from the National Public Health Emergency Team to lift almost all remaining Covid-19 measures from 28 February. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I'm in the same boat as you... unfortunately the company can dictate how you behave on the premises. If you don't play ball, they can simply refuse you access to the building, or start disciplinary proceedings. It can go south pretty quickly if you don't toe the line.

I push the limits, but don't stir it up too much, so I'm left alone.... I need the money after all. I bought some "breathable" masks on etsy just in case our twats keep masks in place.

• Advertisement

The requirement for masks to be worn at work was lifted a few weeks back, the remaining restrictions do not apply to factories or offices.

Unfortunately it might take resignations to make them see sense. Frustrating.

I'm in no position to resign unfortunately, the mortgage needs paying, and the missus would be less than impressed if I quit over having to wear a mask 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Did I hear that right on the news, covid positive people don't have to isolate in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am already seeing people not wearing masks in small shops and supermarkets. I personally have no issue with it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,307 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's been the same the whole way through the pandemic. As soon as the government say we can relax on day x in 8 days time the public make the change immediately.

Makes sense really. If no masks are safe in 8 days time most people are gonna think it's safe now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I would say that it is rather poor attempt to distract people from recent news about pedo-settlement of one member of that dysfunctional family.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So the 95 year old monarch intentionally caught COVID for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Maybe i'm in the minority on this one but I am still going to be wearing masks on Dublin Bus. You know yourself, a stuffy bus in the morning with people coughing and sneezing, no one wanting to open the windows. Save you getting a cold let alone covid.

Personally I would like it to become like Asia. Where if you have a cold you wear a mask to protect others. Don't see that happening tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭celt262

Yep i read that on Facebook it must be true crafty auld ones you couldn't be up to them

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Went for a quiet one by the fire with the missus yesterday. I can confirm nobody wore a mask, not even the staff.

Is this the norm now or are they ahead of the gun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assume you mean in a pub?

Only the staff are supposed to be wearing them, but I expect in places where customers don't have to wear masks, many employers are now leaving it up to the employees to decide if they want to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yeah, I think I will too. I haven't had a cough or a cold for a couple of years now, let alone Covid, and I quite like that......I used to pick up all sorts on the bus, I reckon. I don't mind what others do - that's their business entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Longterm your immune system will be weaker though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Funny you should mention that. I work from home and a couple of months ago on a call people were saying how they didn't get the seasonal flu for the last two years as well. Goes to show that wearing masks, washing your hands more etc make an impact.

Fair enough masks are getting dropped next Monday. But I don't think there should be any social stigma to wearing them from now on.

I'm still gonna wear them in shops too.

• Advertisement

I know everyone says ‘oh I didn’t get a cold etc for 2 years’, but anyone else actually get worse sicknesses who have to wear the mask for work all day?

I picked up an awful bacterial infection a couple of weeks ago that was fairly debilitating and took 4-5 weeks to fully clear. Doctor said it wouldn’t help anyway bringing up the bacteria and constantly inhaling it back in. Now she didn’t go as far as blame the mask, but she did say it could be a factor.

Id have taken 10 colds over that infection being honest.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Been in the pub for 3 weekends in a row now. Masks are totally gone, staff and customers. Even the stupid wearing a mask to the toilet is dead.

Most people still wear them when they enter the pub for the first time, presumably so they can scope it out, but it just gets stuffed in the pocket and that's it.

The architect has gone completely silent on twitter for a week which surprises me given the mask news that has come out in that time, was certain we'd be gifted with some hysterics about how this a human rights violation or some such.

People can continue to wear masks if they want to and that's cool. Being anti restrictions/masks, I have never wanted anything enforced on anyone. I've only ever wanted people to be free to make their own choices based on data etc.

Anyone that feels the need can continue to restrict their lives or faces if it makes them more comfortable.

Be thankful that you are given the opportunity to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

perhaps her bosses in UCD Architecture saw us joking about whether she had much work to do given the amount of time she was on Twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Masks for customers were no longer required from a few weeks ago, not even on arrival or going to the jacks. Only requirement remaining was for staff themselves. So while some are still wearing them like you say, it's cos they don't realise they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I reckon I'll keep one for when I'm on a busy Dart or bus. Or if I'm going into a crowded shop (think Christmas time).

But just popping into a service station, or newsagent, or off licence, it'll be great to not have to wear one.

The kids not having to wear one in school is the best thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Young lad working in the local pub Saturday night with a mask on. On the beer all day in the same said pub the Sunday without one 🤣 If it made one less person feel anxious he’ll have done his job. That’s what it’s all about!!! In it together

The mask for staff thing is about protecting the staff, not the customers though right? I don't get how staff wearing a mask makes any difference whatsoever to the customers, it doesn't reduce any risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

So we're down to 10k tests a day at this stage.

My missus swabs 2 days a week & is taking 3 weeks holidays now as they don't need her. Their contracts run until June so a few are getting twitchy after the CMOs comments last week.

Advertisement