Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emerald Airlines.... new kid in town!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

turboprops are more efficient at lower altitudes and lower airspeeds than jet-only aircraft. On a short leg like DUB-CFN,they don't have to climb very high and burn lots of fuel doing so. Also, when it comes to taxying, the ATR has a propellor mode that allows one engine to operate as an APU so the prop isnt turning and they taxy out on one engine,which saves fuel on long taxying sites like Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

To which I would add that (a) on short routes there can be little enough difference in elapsed time as the cruising portion of the flight is not sufficient for the jet's speed advantage to have much impact, and (b) turboprops generally can operate off shorter runways than jets, Donegal being a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I think the ATR42 has similiar fuel consumption per seat, as an average family car, around 50mpg? I think Aer Arann or Aer Lingus used to put that on advertising posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Where are the 2 ATR's they currently have at the moment?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

16,014,913  EUR ex VAT covering three years.

While the tender has a minimum requirement of a 30 seat aircraft, there was a small fraction of the tender evlalution score reserved for the number of seats provided above the minimum required plus points for passenger growth/marketing proposals but 80% of the evaluation score was still on the bid price vs other tenderers. The idea is this encourages the operator to still keep the bid low to secure the contract and take the risk of being able to make additonal income on extra seats supplied.

There are constraints on straight up profitting on a route monopoly though - the tender requires 80% of seats to be sold for €80 or less. This incentivises the opertor to provide a bigger aircraft to allow more seats to be sold at a premium above the POS obligation but the onus is on the operator to find that market. If they're successful, the region gets an extra benefit at no additional cost to the taxpayer. While Stobart were using the smaller ATR, they were growing the passenger numbers year on year before covid so Emerald must reckon it can continue that in what is hopefully a post-covid contract duration.

Source: https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/196290/0/0?returnUrl=transactions.asp&b=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

R u sure that is for 3 yrs........ ?. That would put cost at €5.33m a yr..

i think its for 4 yrs.... putting cost at €4m a yr.... more and less as per previous contract with Stobart allowing for inflation plus fuel plus contingency for slow recovery.

Only €900k diff from next bidder which I suppose was Amopola I presume.... ooohhhh that was close!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Yeah, you're right. The contract is for 3 years with a year extension option and the headline figure is for four years:

"Tenderers are required to provide an annual price for each year of the contract (3 years plus 1 year). The Tender Price to be used in the formula below is the aggregate price over the 4-year period."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-FSL has become the 3rd Emerald aircraft painted in Aer Lingus Regional colours.

https://flic.kr/p/2mYJwKq

Spotted in Toulouse Francazal, an ATR maintenance base a few miles south of the more well known Toulouse-Blagnac.

A former STK aircraft, not much going to be needed done to that to get it ready to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

ATR 72-600 has the lowest CASM (cost per available seat mile) of any commercial aircraft in operation today. Essentially if you can fill it, nothing is as cheap to operate per seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

They are advertising for crews in Belfast, are these for EI routes ? 3 airplanes so far, what is the final expected fleet number ?

Emerald announced their intention to set up a base at Belfast City under the Aer Lingus Regional brand a week or two ago. No firm dates or numbers were given but they did list the six ‘high frequency’ routes they plan to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Yep the ATR on some routes would use about 1700kgs of fuel for a sector,Mate of mine flies the 737 and they could use about 2000kgs of fuel if departing from RWY 10 with the long taxi and possible delays.

Are ops starting this weekend?

It looks like it, all going well the first flight is scheduled to be EI3401 CFN-DUB at 07:55 on 26 February.

You are way way off the mark here on your 2000kg taxi fuel for a 73. Assuming the airline is Ryanair, no way would MOL order aircraft with a fuel burn like that.

Now, 230kg taxi fuel for 28L and about 600kg for 10L on a 320. The airbus is very fuel efficient but not that much!

You could use 2000kg on a neo from DUB-LHR!

EI-GPO the latest ATR to leave the paintshop.

Emerald also bas EI-FSK and EI-FSL fully painted in Toulouse Francazal which brings the painted fleet to five.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My bad added an extra 0 at the end,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

First flight completed

Emerald expanded into Belfast City today with its initial daily flight to Birmingham taking off, further expansion of services commences this weekend from both Belfast and Dublin with another ramp up in frequencies in early May.

There's now 6 aircraft registered to the airline;

EI-GPN - In service

EI-GPP - In service

EI-GPO - Training (Dublin)

EI-GZV - Stored (Exeter)

EI-GZY - Stored (Franczazal)

EI-FSL - Stored (Franczazal)

It appears to be coming together quite nicely, the first real test is the expansion this weekend so hopefully the remaining aircraft will be entering service imminently ready for busy weeks ahead.

Emerald appears to have suffered some nasty delays so far this week. The Edinburgh flight this evening is operating almost four hours late.

The relatively small fleet is being kept very, very busy.

EDIT: Manchester service is also four hours late this evening. There was no explanation in the terminal building but crew on board claim they’d been ready and waiting for over an hour.

Post edited by kevinandrew on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yep noticed that! They seem to be in meltdown! Not a great start…. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The Donegal flight which was due to leave at 1845 has just left Dublin now. With such a small fleet once one aircraft runs late thats it for the day

Eagle eyes on Emerald ready to pounce for any misdemeanours in the early days. Good thing no other airlines experience delays or tech aircraft....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I was looking on FR24 at some of the Emerald delays yesterday. I understand aircraft go tech and the subsequent knock on delays with a small fleet. However, I have noticed that they seem to spend a lot of time on the ground between flights. No quick turnarounds. I've seen Stobart do some nice snappy turnarounds and make up some time as well as good block times. Unloading and loading an ATR72 should not take that long.

Is there some ground handling issues?

Take EI-FSR yesterday.

Landed DUB 09:51, departed 10:53.

Landed EDI 11:46, departed 12:46.

These should be back up in circa 30/35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I was stuck in Edinburgh due to that delayed and subsequently cancelled flight last Monday. The plane couldn’t land due to fog so had to divert to Glasgow. An absolute disaster to be honest, it was not handled well by Swiss port at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

well, that's whatcha get when the companies pay minimum wage, shite contracts to loaders/cleaners/handlers,etc and yet expect flawless service. race to the bottom.

• Advertisement

As soon as I read the word 'Swissport' I thought to myself that this will not end well for anyone but most especially the passenger.

Advertisement