Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eddie Hobbs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

"Cannabilise your mortgage" with your SSIA if you weren't going to opt for an investment property. 😂😂😂

• It's fuckin bananas how these shysters like Hobbs are still given a platform.

He's spouting all sorts of nonsense on Twitter and RTE invite him on like he is some kind of credible analyst on everything.

He's not the only example either.

• I chuckled at this because it's so patently obvious.

Agree, shocking all round. I'd say Hobbs and his management crew had been hoodwinked by some charismatic Wall St yank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That there was loads of value in plenty of reliable property markets at the time makes it even worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I can say that what Eddie Hobbs says regarding the multinationals, no matter what you think of him, is true.

Large employers in this country are having conversations about a SF govt. It's being done quietly but it is happening.

What I can say is their main concern, from my conversations, is can executives move here - as in will they be raped by a wealth tax?

Which would mean these companies can't send execs here because they won't want to be here which means serious operations in Ireland won't be run.

Which means closures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Only loosing 13m over 800 investors is a good outcome as these things go…. The financial world is blessed with more than it’s fair charlatans and fools that are willing to follow them. Central banks, Stock Exchange Commissions , Governments and even the EU make good attempts to warn and regulate but at the end of the day people will do as they wish with their money.

We tell people not to invest in high risk asset classes, to diversify their investment and not borrow to invest. And yet we have an entire nation determined to buy a property and think it’s a great investment opportunity…. Sadly only 800 is a good outcome.

If you were actually being fair…. They most definitely were not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Well let them have all the conversations they want. Hopefully Eddie advising against an SF government will lead to people actually voting for them. Its years of FF FG governments that have left houses unaffordable for most working people. We cant look after the big millionairs execs and keep shafting our own.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Horsesh*t, I've worked for multinationals all my life and all the 'execs' are Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You're reading to much of the irish indo and buying into their anti SF agenda. Its time for change.

So by your logic keep looking after the American Execs, not sure if they really exist myself, and let people forget about ever having a home of their own. All because they are lucky enough to commute 3 hours a day to google or intel.

Multinationals wont pull out. They will hire Irish execs like they have done for years. Eddie and a lot of people need to get ready. A SF government is imminent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If a SF government is, indeed, imminent is there any way to have the, more sensitive, documents relating to the Troubles, and beyond, made classified and locked away from everyone, including the government, until they are gone?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The great Warren Buffet has a saying if you lose money somewhere go back and have a good look around it might find it is still there.

If Eddie&co had invested his funds in the Irish property market from 2011/12 on and transferred it into a REIT he be acclaimed as a financial genius and a Maverick. But he did not.

He made his name by exposing the endowment mortgage scandal and was one of the first financial advisers to come out against the product in some he 90's. Rip off Ireland came after and his program.advising couple to have massive wedding and turn a profit on the cash gifts.

By the late noughties he had lost his allure to me. People who invested had probably gambled on 2-3 other such ventures if one succeeds you have you money back and more.

There was other bigger financial scandals such as Custom House Capital at least Eddie and Co invested the money.

Now he is only trying to promote a book so he will s back trying to use his profile. It's probably rubbish so I be slow to buy it. He is just a other anti vaxers that is full of his own importance

Slava Ukrainii

Why are Sinn Fein objecting to houses all over Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The bearded guy is Ivor "FatEmperor" Cummins. He's amassed 150k followers on Twitter over the Pandemic. Before Covid he used flog keto-diet plans. He transitioned to anti lockdown, anti-mask and anti-vaccine content and makes his money selling Patreon subscriptions.

The younger woman is Tracey O' Mahoney. She's a barrister who raised a lot of money from her anti-vaxx followers to fight the government about covid restrictions. Given that most of those have gone a lot of people have been asking her recently where that money has gone. (She doesn't look like she's going to be returning it). She's ex-Renua, which might explain the Eddie Hobbs connection.

The other two are anti-vaxx GPs. The female GP is from the North and the male is from Limerick. He recently took part in that Men's Rosary that drowned out the women's vigil in the wake of the Ashling Murphy murder.

The whole thing was organised by the anti-vaxxer who aggressively "interviewed" Pat Kenny in the park a few months ago.

So yeah, quite the esteemed circles Hobbs had been moving in prior to RTE and the Sunday Independent taking the odd step to try and rehabilitate him.

Keeping good company then , a shower of grifting cnunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It was poor judgement alright. He had a nice gig as a champion of the Irish consumer and should have been content with that. Instead he blew up his reputation on that crazy property scheme. Even if he wasn't directly involved, how could anyone ever trust him again after that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Likely any Sinn Féin government (or one with them) would just gouge middle class people (someone moving to a house, but keeping their flat for renting, say), the traditional thing, which people tried to push back against with the PAYE marches in the early 80s. Using the example from Canada any new PAYE protest would be deplatformed as hate thinking Nazism. SF will do whatever suits SF, like all politicians. Politicians don't attack rich people, whom they would see as new friends and donors.

I'm anti SF or any populist party ('what you want? You got it, sure you shouldn't ask for more - you deserve it') - But, it's the middle class that vote (not the SW class and the rich aren't numerous enough) and SF will do what SF in NI do and other parties do when they get into government - the one thing that they might do differently is borrow heavy to appease those they promised the sun, moon and stars.

If Eddie Hobbs is anti SF it's simply a stopped clock is occasionally right.

I'd say Hobbs is wrong, SF are not PBP, they won't kill the golden goose so the multinationals won't flee.

I'd be more concerned about consultants and doctors in the HSE leaving or deciding not to come here as its the middle class who will get taxxed hard

Depends on a number of things, plenty of people do very well from their property investments ,beit because they bought during a period of relative value or didn't over leverage themselves

Regrettably Ireland is not at all friendly towards investing in equity funds

People who do well in property are generally people who are in the property business as opposed to investing in property. Most of the property funds marketed in Ireland are not suitable for the typical investor looking to add a little property to an asset allocation to improve the overall performance of a portfolio.

Irish voters believe a housing policy based on people being required to take on huge debt or rely on social services to put a roof over their head is a good idea and until that changes there is not much change of a more favorable approach to encouraging other forms of wealth accumulation. And I suspect we’re a long way from the level of pain necessary to motivate people to consider alternatives.

Not that I was referring to people who invested in Irish REITs but why are those not suitable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

since there has always been lower tax regions for mnc's, ive always wondered, why havent they moved already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

They're here as a bribe (from the US to Ireland) in exchange for deniable political influence. The prospect of these multinationals up and leaving is a constant lever in political matters.

They intervene indirectly in every Irish constitutional referendum via IBEC announcing they will exit in the event of a 'No' vote.

They are now intervening in general elections and trying to decide the formation of the next government.

That's pretty much the deal, and most Irish people have accepted (American-style) political liberalism on these unspoken terms.

Of course you can still vote for SF if you want. I've no idea if they're bluffing about leaving, maybe they will leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What's your job? What conversations are you having? With who?

For all we know you could be the bloke that fills the vending machine in a hospital, and you're having conversations about multinational company executives with the guy who folds the sheets. Your "real, very real" warning means nothing if you can't back it up. And you're not off to a very good start by claiming that all the execs of the multinationals have to "move here".

The top (and only) income tax rate in Hungary is a mere 15%. Why aren't all the multinationals already gone from here and set up there if the main driver for their existence is to get a decent rate of tax for their executives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The thing you mention about voting needs to be highlighted. A lot of people who say they'll vote SF, don't, or don't vote in general. They might say SF so as not to be cast into the 'don't knows' oblivion, but a strong (not entirely unwarranted) feeling that all pols are the same, and a reluctance to vote among a number of socio-economic groups could well see a lot of the poll response not last as far as the polling station. Another thing is that I reckon some of older parties, even Labour are quite good, perhaps better, at scraping out every bit of supportive sentiment. Now I know that SF are all business if someone has a problem and make sure to follow up, which spreads good sentiment about them, but the key thing are efforts to get out the vote at GE and by-election time.

It is quite possible that a SF government or major coalition partner could switch into full Bertie / Gay Byrne mode with something for everyone in the audience. I even doubt they'll do much about investment funds, who for all their faults, actually build some stuff. We will see. Ireland cannot survive Bertienomics or variants that have long plagued this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Why would you even laugh about people who lost their life savings? Mostly working class people.

Brendan Investments was not about property in Detroit, as already said, the objective initially was to invest in European Investments. It was very slick and it was easy to see how people were sucked in.

Celtic Tiger era was absolutely crazy time and the crash was a horrible time. I know people who did not get through it.

Laughing at people Is not needed

It was the silliest example of Celtic Tiger investing that I ever heard of.

But yes viewed in the cold light of day it isn't funny.

As long as no one will ever again trust Eddie Hobbs or Brendan O'Connor or the P.R. techniques used to rehabilitate their image, or fall hook line and sinker for new investing scams, then lesson learned.

Post edited by growleaves on

It was not that outlandish at the time.

I remember Ciaran Maguire and Flash Developments being featured on the Late Late Show and being presented as legit. With their branded Fleet of 747’s.

That was probably the most extreme, and still many people lost money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

How anyone can complain about the housing crisis and then show sympathy towards people who fell for Eddie Hobbs's Brendan Investments con is beyond me. The housing crisis is a direct result of people trying to fill their boots with property so that they can sell them later on for a profit.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone who gets burned trying to get rich off the back of flipping property. Whether it be Bulgaria or Dublin, or t'whither the investor is a faceless Dutch multinational or John Paul the Sixpack in his Man United jersey, people who personally enrich themselves through housing are scum.

" anti vaxx " seems to be a broad church ?

has Eddie Hobbs simply questioned the level of restrictions this past two years along with the restrictions on the unvaccinated in terms of being allowed into restaurants etc or is he a full on " Bill Gates wants us all dead " type ?

because the former is perfectly legitimate in my view , pushback against big government policies are healthy , " anti vaxx " is usually just a lazy slur

not a fan of the man otherwise

Why do anti vaxxers have such an issue with the term anti vaxx?

I have an issue with most dopey slogans

loaded questions too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

He has gone to great pains to point out that he himself is not anti-vaxx. Regardless of his own personal views on the matter, sitting down with such an obvious bunch of cranks and grifters is a major red flag. If he wants to have a theoretical discussion on the finer points of vaccines and lockdowns then that's fine, but doing that with Dolores Cahill and Ivor Cummins is not the way to go. Given that he's a well known figure the very fact of him joining them elevates them to a higher level, allowing them spread disinformation with greater ease.

It wasn't a one-off either. He appeared alongside Ivor Cummins on at least one other occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would rather take financial advice from the local lunatic than eddie hobbs, didnt dolores mcnamara lose a lot of money after taking his advice? chancer, I am ashamed to admit I bought his magazine once, around 15 year ago or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah there was a few of them in it, but I suppose Hobbs as the public face and main promoter of it is going to suffer the most fallout. And some fallout it was, from what I read they didnt do proper due diligence at all when buying loads of distressed Detroit houses for $10k and $15k each. If they had of done their due diligence it would have showed that each property was liable for city taxes of around $3k per annum.

So the city taxes began to swallow up the price they paid for the houses, which themselves were located in pretty bad areas that nobody wanted to live in. It was a crazy investment, they didnt seem to realise that even at $10k a house the house would need to pay a further $3k a year, every single year to the city tax office. So after year 1 their 13m investment had huge sums of city taxes owed and they had no money to pay them and the whole house of cards came tumbling down soon after. It was madness to go investing into an asset for 15k when it had an annual tax bill of 3k but thats basically what they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

This guy suffers from small man syndrome

Also how do these people keep getting airtime on the national airwaves

A financial guru my arse

the man has cracked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Didn't see the show, but I understand that RTE Eddie is remarkably more measured and grounded than Twitter Eddie.

So either he was cute enough to not dirty his bib on RTE, or cute enough to recognise that he's built up a Twitter audience of useful idiots on the extreme right who swallow any oul sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya, right.... you clearly have absolutely no idea of how multinationals work, nor the thought processes involved. For a start most countries have some form of wealth tax, so nothing new there and expat packages for seniors executives includes provisions to compensate them for tax, pension and social welfare differences between their home country and the host country, so again nothing new there either. So executives don't care in the slightest about their person tax situation in make a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm always amazed at the ever declining standards of quite a large chunk of the talking heads that make it on the national airwaves...

Having Hobbs on is really scraping the bottom of that barrel...

I see now some boardsies are now transferring their savings into Ukrainian bank accounts. People never learn.

Hobb's rehabilitation should not be possible full stop.

'A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished.' - Proverbs 27:12

Advertisement