Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

Not out today but earlier in the week I ended up on roads I've not been on or not for a long time west of the N2 between Tayto Park and the Snailbox. There are some serious fuckin eyesores of houses out that way, least of which is the one that looks to have been abandoned in development with the scaffolding still around it that's just block walls and a roof. They should rename the area Dermot Bannon country!!!! Few more of the monstrosities under construction out that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Skryne and Curragha. Covered some of those roads Saturday myself. Went over via Stamullen, then ardcath back to duleek and on to snailbox.

It's MacMansion central these days. That abandoned one is just down the hill from the snailbox? Ginormous and just stopped like that couple years ago.

Saw nothing if you didn't include this little road in your travels. This being the best example

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xpUZHuYcYb8nF2ER6

And then there's this thing belonging to one of the fellas in Mrs Browns Boys

Planning was given out like confetti the last 5 years. And all too big

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

trying to remember where i was cycling recently - out beyond dunshaughlin i think - and same thing, mad numbers of houses being built.

there's a quite unusual house near skryne, worth keeping an eye out for; if you head north on the skryne road, a few hundred metres before you reach the crossroads at which you'd turn left to go to skryne, you pass through a dip in the road and over a stream. as you start climbing up to the crossroads, there's a house on the right with is completely curved. quite an unusual house, but it can't be seen on street view because it's blocked by leaves which aren't present at the moment.

there are some hella ugly houses to be seen while out on the road. this is a nice enough example i saw recently though

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4487191,-6.4062432,3a,75y,354.72h,94.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suCJfxQ1CUrlnoN_UDbn6oQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Holy crap. At first sight from front I thought it’s big alright but not absurd. Then I saw that it’s got another full length section behind.

This one? You can see it from their entrance. Newish build, dunno the owner

This is their next door neighbour........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

were you out cycling or sightseeing?

Ah i'm a local originally.

Know the owners of most of these places

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall during the 5km lockdown pulling up opposite a similar entrance near Dunboyne to eat a banana. A big 4x4 comes up behind me and turns into the gate opposite, driver pops out and hitches the bin onto the towbar. They then drove down their avenue. No idea if they do that with a full bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Estate agents are easily impressed. There isn't a 1-bed apartment, a 3-bed semi or (in this case) a Georgian pile that isn't "stunning" or "unique".

• Advertisement

just in from only my second spin this month. still blowy out there; managed to reach over 60km/h along the side of the main runway without blowing a gasket. think it was a 40km/h westerly at the time.

already nearly 400km behind target, and that was after a good january.

I'm currently sitting in a large pretty much empty office. I made the decision to return to the office simply because while WFH, work was stopping me from getting out. At least while I'm working in the office, I have to commute (plus I can leave the laptop behind and therefore can't join a quick call or meeting, etc.). It means that after a period where I felt I couldn't get out (working fairly solidly from 8am to maybe 7pm), I'm now getting out twice a day 🚲️ 🚲️ 

I found that when I couldn't get out, I was feeling stressed and irritable. Now I'm stressed and irritable and twice a day, wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I underestimated the time constraints of fatherhood.

I had been on my bike every second day for about 40-60 minutes but had a long break between 26/1 until 21/2, going back tomorrow work didn't help either.

Felt pretty tired last night but over all not too much lost in 3 weeks. A fair bit gained though... Of body weight.

Yeah not been doing a massive amount myself to the point I've started doing basic strength and cardio stuff along to you tube videos a few times a week on my breaks if I don't get out. The 80km spin I did last week was the longest for god knows how long and I felt it even when I was out.

Speaking of which can anyone recommend something more structured for core and the like I can work along to, was just using the Hasfit stuff on you tube and they are grand but I've being doing different ones each time as they have tonnes of stuff and have no idea if what I'm doing is right as I've never been one for the gym etc. One is thing though I do feel great after the 40 minutes or so if nothing else it's mentally beneficial. I was thinking of going back to pilates but getting to the time of year now were I could use that hour to get out on the bike in the evening instead :s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Welcome to the dad bod club.

Should I not ask how project steel is going...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pretty common in rural areas with long drive ways or where the resident lives up a long narrow lane where the bin truck won't go. They attach directly to the tow bar but you can also get a dolly which allows you to take 2 bins together.

https://www.yourhomeandgarden.ie/p/wheelie-bin-tow-kit-hitch-/gsekit-1?gtagrefurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.google.com%2f

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's eh, going.

I bought some new bottom bracket bearings in January, or maybe December... They're in my tool box. 😅

With the longer evenings I can start working out in the garden when he's down for naps so I'll be getting into it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got dressed to cycle and didn't bother. Just pottered around the house all day.

Dropped a bike off to lbs and cycle to the bakery for some apple tart and bread as my sister is home for the first time in year and had a new nephew for me to play with instead.

Normally a bit agitated when I miss cycling on nice days, but can let it pass

Plenty use the ride-on, not seen a bike though

• Advertisement

On my way home from the office yesterday, I decided to head via Saggart & Kilteel. The weather was lovely, cool but not cold. Having used them for the morning commute, I had comtemplated not wearing the leg covers and just wearing shorts but I chickened out, mainly because I figured the roads would be dirty, which they were.

There definitley seems to be a lot more impatience by some drivers towards people on bikes. Two notable stupid (and aborted) overtake attempts into oncoming traffic, the second also including a close pass when she did pass me. I caught up with her and asked what the craic was about coming so close and she kept claiming that she didn't pass me. I think she could only think of her initial attempt as my use of the words "after that" didn't seem to register with her and the conversation (not on the video) just became annoying.

In fairness, this Merc driver had good reason to attempt his stupid overtake - he was hungry!

(I hate the sound of my dirty brakes! There is a new knocking sound from the front which I think is the mudguard but can't see why as it's not rubbing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

What was his Rush with the fact he was pulled into the side of the road? Some drivers think cyclists are invisible.

i timed that well - got in off the bike - from a very windy but somewhat sunny cycle - and within 5 or 10 mins there was a blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Was extremely hungover but needed to go to bray to retrieve the car. due to my condition and the southerly wind decided against heading over sally gap. nice enough route and I intend to use similar to spin over to ticknock on the hardtail soon.

has to be the biggest wind Ive cycled in in a long time, and just my luck to be a cross and then block headwind. 40k from south and it felt like more on some exposed points.

was manageable when going south east but south was a bit crazy. descent to bray was a nice reward for the slog.

55k with 600m

Drogheda over past Newgrange up Tara.

Pretty much all into the wind. Heart rate through the roof for the couple hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Was meeting friends in Limerick on Sat. Considered cycling Crusheen- Scarriff loop, some nice winding roads out there. Said I'll go with the Limerick Greenway- I work from home & thought it'd be nice to see people walking/cycling rather than just me.

Sat morning, began at 12:20ish, it was surprisingly quiet. Then again it was last Feb, cold and slightly wet. The greenway is very plain & un-scenic but it's still great to have one there. The only other one I've been on is the Waterford one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6746371831

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

was in Phoenix park yesterday and saw posts up just inside Chapelizod entry, is it permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Was there doing circuits most of yesterday afternoon. A section of the Upper Glen Road from the gate of the Cheshire Home to the carparks above the Furry Glen has been closed to traffic. On the North Road, the section from the Cabra Gate to the Zoo has been made one-way with an extra cyclelane added but also marked car-parking along the full stretch. Looks like the recently replaced speed ramps are being kept even in the cyclelanes! On Chesterfield Avenue, the hundreds of parking cones are being replaced with hundreds of black & white wands. According to the OPW press release, the changes are for a trial period of 9 months.

The other big change is the introduction of a 30km/h speed limit which seemed to be largely working on Chesterfield Avenue. It only takes one driver to adhere to the limit for everyone else to have to follow suit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Unremarkable loop of the airport. Saw @magicbastarder on his way out as I was on my home. Traffic heavy enough.

I'm using my cycles lately to determine what saddles of mine I should keep. Unfortunately, the Fabric Scoop may be one to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Following on from the recent conversation here about houses in Co Meath, does anyone know the significance of this one (situated on a non-descript crossroads in Co Meath? If you're under 50 years of age, you are unlikely to know!

Advertisement