Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. imperialism chitchat corner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

More than ever, I'm completely satisfied that the people taken in by the unsophisticated Kremlin propoganda campaigns are conspiracy theorists, and probably spend a great deal of time poring over ZeroHedge and QAnon b*llshit.

It's so consistent with what they come out with, it's almost impossible to be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

That's a bit of an angry diatribe there Yurt!

It's the weekend, pour yourself a stiff drink and calm down a bit. 😉

I never said the US was responsible for everything, you're putting words in my mouth there.

But I am perfectly entitled to my opinion that the west, and the US in particular, has played a critical role in creating the ground work for all of this to become a possibility.

You can stomp your feet and throw a tantrum all you wish. But you don't get to decide what opinions other people hold.

And as regards being mocked for my opinions, I couldn't give a monkey's... mock away till your little hearts are content. You're making the mistake of thinking I care about holding an unpopular opinion. You'd be dead wrong on that one, as I do not care about popularity contests.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Kind of like the guy with the White Russians in the Big Lebowski, you've basically just posted 'well like that's my opinion man'.

All opinions are not created equal. Yours are laced with conspiracy theories, copied and pasted from known disinformation peddling outlets with no credibility and shady links. You've ceased mounting a coherent defence because you're out of road and there is no coherent defence for what you're posting. Put an adblock on the tinfoil hat outlets and take a look at the world at how it is, not how weirdos in darkened rooms want you to think it is.

You're an easy mark Shao Khan, I'll tell you that. They hit gold when your eyeballs first met their conspiracy theory output, because you're among the most credulous consumers of nonsense that's possible.

Putin is an KGB remnant from a previous era who seeks retribution in ways that make it known to the world, a truly evil person, an oligarch interested only in power, poisoning and imprisoning political opponents. Russia’s population is falling faster than any other for decades now and this attack on Ukraine may be their attempt at survival.

This is much more similar to that of Taiwan, an authoritarian country is using a splinter nation that they consider as part of their homeland as a way of unifying their populations to counter domestic problems. Another country that the US supports and rightfully so.

The reality is that the Ukraine has been moving towards the west and this has troubled Putin. With NATO in Ukraine Russia would give up their western border and a direct route to Moscow.

Biden’s son though was working for a Ukrainian company with ties to his dad and there was the whole mess of Biden pushing for people to be fired from energy companies and stamping out corruption. The current foreign affairs advisor working for Biden was pushing the now fake and debunked ‘ties’ between trump and Russian banks.

The US is just making this ridiculous easy when their standard role in these situations would traditionally been as peace keepers. Where’s the ‘if you invade Ukraine and we will reign down vengeance upon you, etc..etc…’ Biden said he wouldn’t fight to protect Ukraine, I think this is a serious mistake and a deviation from traditional policy. If the Russians take Ukraine which it seems the US are ok with then what next? Will Poland and Romania be ok with this?

I'm really admiring your ability to step back and allow the thread participants to discuss the US.

Simply amazing. TBH I'm seriously considering going to the Russia thread to just talk about the US there. Your example is truly inspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

The US and UK aren't any different.

David Kelly one of the world's greatest weapons experts, In 2003, Dr David Kelly was identified as the source for a BBC report which claimed the British government had “sexed up” a dossier on Iraq’s weapons capability to justify the invasion of Iraq earlier that year. The report led to a major public confrontation between the government and the BBC. Kelly was called to appear on 15 July before the parliamentary intelligence and security and foreign affairs committees, Two days later Kelly was found dead near his home, apparently there was "overwhelming evidence" he committed suicide.

The BBC journalist he gave the information to, Andrew Gilligan said In a lengthy statement to the media shortly after that the information was wrong, and he resigned. The BBC had already lost two of its top managers in the crisis and Chairman of the board Gavyn Davies resigned the same day the Hutton report was released a few months after the death, Western journalists know that their jobs, livelihoods and even their lives could be at risk if they report on anything too important involving the government and intelligence services.

It's not a good idea to meaningfully speak against the narrative in Western media. The BBC was turned upside down and the man who gave the report to the BBC died shortly afterwards.

Ah, so you've turned yourself into a conspiracy theorist, in order to call out another bunch of supposed conspiracy theorists...

hmmm that's an usual strategy there Yurt, but whatever works for you buddy! lol

Oh okay, you're the gatekeeper of what opinions are allowed now are you?

If it's not approved by Yurt, then it goes in the conspiracy theory pile... got it.

There sure are a lot of little dictator types that pop up on these threads, who think they have the right to shut down aspects of a discussion that they don't personally like. Despite voicing their supposed opposition to dictators and tyrants out in the real world... interesting... very interesting indeed. 🤔

Personally, I think you're talking out your ar$e tbh. There is nothing conspiratorial about discussing the west's role in the current crisis. Or the west's role in world affairs in general. Or further indeed, the west's role in unfcuking this royally fcuked up mess we're all in.... as the west is very deeply involved in all of the above.

As any knowledgeable, honest or observant person would be capable of ascertaining.

I couldn't care less if my observations about the west or the US, make people throw around lazy unintelligent monikers like "PutinBot" etc... as this is simply a sign of someone's childlike reactionary mindset. It says more about the person calling names, than it ever does about the person you're aiming the invective at.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

The US is just making this ridiculous easy when their standard role in these situations would traditionally been as peace keepers. Where’s the ‘if you invade Ukraine and we will reign down vengeance upon you, etc..etc…’ Biden said he wouldn’t fight to protect Ukraine, I think this is a serious mistake and a deviation from traditional policy. If the Russians take Ukraine which it seems the US are ok with then what next? Will Poland and Romania be ok with this?

Ukraine is in Eastern Europe and for the most part, EE has been ignored by everyone since before the fall of the Soviet Union. Biden is continuing US foreign policy as it's always been. Talk the talk, but keep their attentions on the theatres that interest them the most. ie. Asia, and the M.East.

The US has always been more interested in complaining when it comes to certain regions than involving themselves directly.. unless it's under the auspices of the UN peacekeeping, or NATO. But Trump set the theme in regards to NATO, and with Bidens low popularity at home, I doubt he wants to commit the US to involvement in the Ukraine. There's no real value for them. They're more interested in not pushing Russia into having closer ties with China.

After all, what are the negatives to the US if Russia takes Ukraine? None. Putin/Russia will be stuck occupying a country that will resist, and will continue to gain support from abroad. Russia taking Ukraine would actually be one of the best things for the US, as it weakens them even further. But Biden, will give his speeches regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I actually agree, Russia invading Ukraine will be the worst decision they've made in years. The only thing I would add is that none of it is a big deal for the us, Russia is not a threat to them, they have an economy 1/10 the size and a military that is no threat to them. The only people that will suffer will be Ukrainian, Russian and European hydrocarbon consumers, in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

They've been facing "imminent" invasion for 8 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No they invaded 8 years ago ,as you well know parts of Ukraine are under foreign occupation

So people living in Dickensian slums in Victorian Britain were living the dream over those unwashed heathen in India that the Brits were putting to the sword, eh. Tell me if the 2 million dead Iraqis are delighted to be in the grave because they had a chance to have X-factor and a hotdog except they got incinerated by US bombs Tell me what a "Western lifestyle" is exactly? Please explain what that means.

Kermit, the US ARE interfering in the Saudi destruction of Yemen. You're asking a very childish "gotcha" question when you ask "what do you want the Americans to do?" Maybe an answer to this silly question would be "stop fcuking wrecking countries using your own armed forces or proxy forces". It doesn't really matter if I personally beat the sh1t out of you or pay one of my gang members to fcuk you up. I'm still responsible for your predicament.

Well if they've already been invaded then how are they facing "imminent" invasion?

I thought it was a good bit more complicated than that. The US are still servicing planes and selling weapons but this isn’t to further any imperialist strategy or has any ties to Yemen, even if Yemen is getting the brunt of these weapons.

The funny thing is the US was nearly energy independent a year ago but Biden went and fucked that, so now they are beholden to foreign energy suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

It's to keep the money waterfall flowing into the likes of Lockheed Martin, et alia. That's the U.S's function now, bend itself and everyone else's backsides up in the air to be repeatedly drilled by the likes of disgraceful corporations like that.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

It has absolutely nothing to do with how much oil the US has or needs. It has nothing to do with energy "dependence" or "independence". If that's what you think then you just haven't been paying attention. It's about controlling global energy supplies and prices. It's about ensuring that anyone who wants to buy a barrel of oil to heat grandma's cottage has to pay US dollars for that barrel of oil. As long as you can only buy oil using US currency then the US can run up as much debt as they want. They can produce absolutely nothing that would offset their trade imbalances. They simply print more dollars and the rest of the world has to buy this paper scrip. If you were to strike oil you'd quickly get a phone call from the US. The one way conversation would go something like "Don't even think about selling your oil for Euros or Rubles or Yen or Yuan or Gold. If you do then the warships will be lying off your coast within a week. Are we clear?"

🤣

Dollars are used as a benchmark currency because it's fully convertible, is a stable exchange mechanism and is backed by the world's strongest economy. There's a reason why countries line up to buy Fed T-Bills year after year. Practically zero risk of default and ridiculously fungible.

Why would an outrageously unstable currency like the rouble be a commodity exchange mechanism, or indeed the RMB which is not fully convertible. If you walked into a commodities job in any country tommorow and started blathering on about transacting in RMB you'd be laughed at and fired on your first day.

People are free to trade oil in whatever currency (see Venezuela) but few do, because it's a brain-dead politically driven idea divorced from reality and economics.

Pick up a book BurgerFace, you're embarrassing yourseltf.

Convertibility has nothing to do with it. Oil could be priced in washers or arrow-heads that can be used for nothing else. As long as the maker of the washers or arrow heads controls what those trinkets can be used to buy (namely a commodity) then there is a demand for them.

Russia and China are already trading oil in alternative currencies with each other but decoupling from the petrodollar completely isn't something that can be achieved overnight. Nor can decoupling from the SWIFT network. These moves will take years.

If you think that the US would sit idly by and just say "you're going to replace the dollar as the reserve currency and go with something else so we can no longer print our way out of debt? Ah, feckit, it's a shame but I suppose we had a good oul run." then maybe you ought to pick up a book.

• Advertisement

"Convertibility has nothing to do with it"

With that one sentence you've proven yourself to be an economic illiterate. You can stop embarrassing yourself now.

It wasn't after the war, it was during the height of the war.

What a slimeball you are "it's all Saudi Arabia." They **** butchered a US resident and Uncle Sam did **** all.

The vast majority of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi, yet Iraq got blown to smithereens.

How many agreements have the Yanks renegued on since then, but the Saudi arrangement is somehow special...

What Saudi Arabia has done to Yemen is magnitudes worse than what Russia has done to Ukraine, yet nobody bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'll ask you the same question I asked the other one, who couldn't answer.

What do you want the US to do about it?

Why would it not be ok to interfere in Iraq - a regime that butchered it's own people, but ok to interfere in Saudi Arabia?

You're all the same. You want it both ways and whatever way it's just to have a dig at America for some unexplainable pathological reason.

Ehhh...nobody is asking to drop atomic bombs on Jeddah & Riyadh.

US is quite fond of sanctioning countries, including sanctioning essential aid, but has a remarkable blind spot for for dictators in countries that suit their needs.

If you think I'm the same as everyone else...I extend the same invite to you as everyone else...debate me in a live setting.

Nobody has taken me up on the challenge...you won't either, you coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

@[Deleted User] I extend the same invite to you as everyone else...debate me in a live setting.

Nobody has taken me up on the challenge...you won't either, you coward.

This is peak internet debate. Who the hell talks like this? Like everyone else posting here, you're an anonymous user on a relatively insignificant message board expressing opinions. Not agreeing to meet you in person to debate topical issues isn't cowardly! Putting that "challenge" to others is delusional.

"Debate me in a live setting" - it almost sounds like you expect it to be televised!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

I've been seeing plenty of chatter on US message boards lately, about their own government being hypocritical in condemning Russian actions in Ukraine, considering what they get up to themselves around the world.

I wonder will more US citizens start to put pressure on their own government to take a different stance towards Russia, in order to possibly avoid another cold war escalating?

I don't know if we really have the caliber of political talent in modern times, to de-escalate both nations away from a dangerous new cold war stand off.

The US/western approach of simply laughing at Russia, and effectively dismissing their security concerns in the region, clearly has not worked. Perhaps a new fresh approach to diplomatic relations is required now.

I see China has come out strongly condemning the US/NATO over the Ukraine crisis too.

Chinese assistant foreign minister said: Washington was the "culprit" for "fanning up flames". "NATO expansion eastward all the way to Russia's doorstep." "Did it ever think about consequences of pushing a big country to the wall?"

Strong words, and worrying times ahead I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Anytime the US,Russia,The UK ,The EU start meddling in a country...death,destruction and refugees are sure to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

Assuming you're not a paid shill, I suggest you read a little bit about Central European history. Every country between Germany and Russia has been invaded countless times throughout history, because of their positions on the European Plain, with Russia, either as the Empire, the Soviet Union or the modern Russian Federation being the perpetrator in many of those cases. Being on a plain makes your country easy to invade and difficult if not impossible to defend. The reason so many Central European countries are either in NATO or wanting to be in NATO is because of Moscow, and because of precisely what is happening right now.

As for your allusion to China, thanks, that proves my point. The Chinese Communist Party is probably the most evil regime in existence in the modern world today, and the only competitors in this regard are their allies, like North Korea. Don't believe me? Ask the Uighurs. Or the Tibetan Buddhists. Or Falun Gong. Or the people of Taiwan and Hong Kong.

No matter the issue, you can count on the so-called "People's Republic of China" and the CCP to be on the side of pure evil. That they are on the side of Vladimir Putin in this is entirely predictable and follows on neatly from their position on everything else.

You are right about one thing, we are in for worrying times. With Russia, China, North Korea and Iran all rising in power and belligerence, the world is likely in for truly dark days indeed.

Advertisement