Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People who grew up in a city and enjoy city lifestyles don't want to leave the city.

I am shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

All of my family and friends are in Dublin, and my job. I’m happy to pay more to live in Dublin, in a smaller place, because it’s where I want to live.

I’m well aware that I could buy a decent sized house in a commuter county for the same money, but I don’t wish to live in Kildare/Meath/Laois/wherever.

Not making the same life choices as you is not a “mental block”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Dublin is a containment city for dubliners - unaffordability pushing dubliners out further from the city is bad news for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

another boards thread that descends into this nonsense.

Lighten up its a joke

Though it is inevitably a bad thing when people are pushed out of Dublin as it means prices go higher around Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s not the agents fault. It’s thanks to an overzealous solicitor insisting on having old documentation from the. 1960s that cannot be located

Exactly.

I could buy a couple of houses in my home county for cash, but I live and work in Dublin. No option for work from home for some sectors. I have made the decision to stay in Dublin and I will rent until the right house comes along. I have a great life in Dublin, Not everyone wants a mansion in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My son has apergers and the local schools out here in the sticks, were both fantastic. Good support is not exclusive to Dublin. He sailed through the LC and went to DCU and got a computer science degree. In my daughters case, the same HS were perfectly accommodating when she wanted to drop lcvp in favour of teaching herself Japanese, which she did. She also sailed through the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Was just my observation of properties I personally went sale agreed on and then pulled out of being relisted by different agents rather than the same one. I cannot attribute any blame because I have no idea if the sellers just wanted to try someone fresh or whether the agent did not want to deal with the property again.

Way things are going anything other than documentation in full order is going to attract headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

I didn't for one second suggest that country schools weren't as good as Dublin schools - infact many Dublin schools are failing their neuro-diverse students. Luckily the school my son is in is fantastic which is why we want to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

A lot of big talk that they may have to back up with real action in less than 3 years. It's actually crazy how fast the last two years have gone since the last election. Any progress made on the housing crisis by FF/FG? Not really and they effectively need a miracle with housing affordability and supply to dramatically increase very rapidly.

I've extracted one part of the article below and to be honest would love the panic among corporate Ireland when this policy starts to get implemented.

He also said his party would remove the tax advantages afforded to foreign investment funds, which are buying up apartment developments in urban areas, and driving up prices in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1percent

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and like dublin and see the appeal.i don't want to take away from anyone's lived experiences.

We all have our own race to run in life and our own hurdles to jump. Just saying I find it funny that some people I know who could consider life outside dublin don't.

We all have support networks in our home place but wouldn't it be a very boring world if we all stayed in the same place our whole lives.

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a fairly big hurdle to jump since moving out of Dublin is usually a one way ticket.

I left the city, you gain some things and you lose others. If the things you lose are important to people it's easy to see why they really wouldn't want to leave, since it's very unlikely they'll ever be able to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

It's amusing how people speak of moving out of Dublin as a choice, when in reality it is forced on most people through affordability

Ye quickly forget that there are more Dublin workers living outside Dublin than in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I think whoever owns this house should sack sherry Fitzgerald.

1st prize in how to make your house look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭JDigweed

405k starting price for Prosperous is nuts. 2015 a similar house on that road sold for 250k.

Good luck finding a time machine to let you buy anything in Dublin at it's 2015 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I wouldn't have a clue, I have never lived in Dublin. I know roughly where DCU is and the airport, and St Stephen's Green and the Australian embassy, and that's about it. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭jj880

This madness has to stop. We're being sold into slavery through this boom bust inflation thievery. How many hundred billion of debt is going to be piled onto future generations with this lunacy? How can it be stopped? And dont say vote different muppets into the Dail. That kip is just a panto. Makes no difference whos in there. Its scary how bad this is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Correct, but this has been happening for decades at this point. The welfare states set up after WW2 were a devil's bargain. We now have entire swaths of the population that simply would not survive without the state, and generations have been raised to expect “the gobberment” to solve every problem that they have. 

In the last two years alone, the Irish state has let loose north of 40 billion euros of funny money into the economy, causing inflation and driving an already dodgy property market into overdrive. What’s the outcome of this? Likely there will be another crash years in the future, and another generation will be saddled with mountains of debt and dealing with an economic disaster. 

We can speculate as to what caused this, but in my opinion, the problem is that noone gives a damn about future generations. The demographics of Europe are broken, and the only way to keep the pension and welfare gravy train going is to turn younger generations and those not even born into wealth generating units for the state whilst importing a never-ending stream of immigrants to make sure that supply never meets demand. Anyone who criticises this is called vile names and ignored, but the immigrants themselves are abused by the state. I have friends from Romania who are living ten to a house and paying hundreds for the privilege. I don’t see anything wrong with calling that out!

The only way to fix this is to accept that things need to change drastically. Forget about nonsense like voting in Sinn Fein or any other group of neo-liberal puppet. Older generations cannot continue to retire at 60 and live for 30 plus years off the backs of younger generations, and the state can no longer be seen as the solver of every problem.  Is any of this likely to happen? Well history gives plenty of examples that make me feel nothing but a sense of doom.  

Post edited by RichardAnd on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A further reminder that welfare and immigration are not topics for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like prices of absolutely everything is going to significantly rise with major war in europe only starting.. any thoughts on how this will affect peoples ability to pay for nose bleed house prices here going forward or will the never ending upward house price madness trajectory continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

serious inflation ahead - energy and fuel costs set to rise a lot, fertilizer may rise significantly too - all depends on what sanctions are put in place with Russia.

Shouldnt affect building materials too much, but general inflation will rise, wages will probably follow and house prices will follow that

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

The asset bubble is rapidly deflating and could well burst.

A recession is also a very strong possibility if inflation is further impacted by a war.

So as billions get wiped out in shares & high risk investments and interest rates rise, contagion is likely.

Further short term inflation increases and price rises in building materials might be the wrong thing to focus.

It's more likely prices have peaked pretty much peaked. A sharp correction is more likely as a sharp increase

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Oil up 10, wheat and corn trading halted.

this is the end of the western fiat currency financed welfare nanny state.

Russia supplies a lot of gas, so we may assume that gas prices will rise. Ukraine is also a major exporter of grain, which is probably part of the Russian motivation to invade. That adds up to further increases in fuel and food. 

As for houses, well we may assume that more money printing is on the horizon, which combined with supply chain issues that wars always cause will obviously mean higher house prices.

Bad times are a comin’

• Advertisement

Gold is up a fair bit in the last few days: https://goldprice.org/

Crypto took a hit today also.

Advertisement