Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The article says this will benefit Ryder Cup tourists....so will be up and running in just 4 years??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There is zero chance that any proposed link would be open in that time frame. It would be unlikely to even be through planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

I read that as a shuttle link (a bus)

A rail link would be great but I'll believe it when there is a station in Moyross and Cratloe. Both capital projects that would happen first.

Does anyone know situation with the land by the way, is that relatively clear cut?

Have a look at google maps and you'll struggle to find a route through Shannon town or Industrial Estate that would have a train arriving at the terminal side or the airport.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Shannon is too small for an airport rail connection and is more than served by 38 buses a day between the 343 and 51 routes and a dual carriageway link to Limerick, Ennis and Galway.

I've never looked into it in any serious way , I know people have talked about using the quays road to water treatment plant for something like this.

As above my guess is this isn't a runner.

I'd like to see Moyross , Cratloe and Crusheen developed though. Making existing line a dual track in parts would be a significant step forward. #

If Cratloe was done, that would probably be as good as it gets for the airport and rail

• Advertisement

As an add on Irish Rail will always point to local authority objectives

This is the Clare County Development Plan for the Shannon region published last month.

https://clarecdp2023-2029.clarecoco.ie/stage2-draft/display/volume-3b-shannon-municipal-district-settlement-plans-45167.pdf

What I can take from it...

• The Shannon Rail link is mentioned. There is an undefined infranstructural safeguard mentioned in close proximity to N19. The land was identified in RSES and a Shannon Rail Link Feasibility Study is ongoing.
    • A shuttle bus between Sixmilebridge railway and Shannon airport is a stated aim.
    • Engaging with Irish rail regarding the reopening of Cratloe rail station is a stated aim.

For me this means any rail link is not imminent.

The shuttle bus seems a mad idea from Sixmilebridge, but it goes through bunratty so hey, it might be good.

Good to see Cratloe rail station mentioned, I'd hope this will be achieved.

A shuttle bus to a train that would take longer than just taking the bus directly to Limerick or Ennis is kind of pointless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Anyone mentioning a rail link to Shannon is completely deluded, it will never happen.

But I'm sure the usual politicians will call for it again soon to appeal to the morons who support them.

I can’t see it happening either. The bus would be much quicker. I’m not sure where would be suitable to even add a rail link around the airport.

Only promising element i could see was bunratty

• Advertisement

Hildegarde Naughton is leaving Paris after a meeting with transport ministers. Announcements on transport due later in the week.

Hopefully SNN is included if it’s a route announcement.

France seems to have been a huge part of social media from Shannon Group for the last month or so. Lets hope this is what they've been aiming towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Don't get the huge push for Paris flight. AF dropped it like a hot potato the second EI reinstated LHR back in 2008. They didn't even try and compete, from memory, the flight was gone within a week or two of the LHR flights restarting. And they were only using a small unit (I think a cityjet Bae)?

For one thing, if it's connection to CDG, then anyone with experience flying will run a mile - been there twice and both times it was total chaos, I avoid CDG at all costs now, as do many other business flyers I know.

Personally, I'd see a lot more value in an AMS link, as many or more connections than CDG plus lots of tourism both ways (maybe I'm wrong but I see a lot more Dutch people visiting Ireland than French)?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

One of the issues with the Air France service at the time was timing.

It arrived early afternoon from Paris.

Not very useful for connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Transavia France to Orly one of the contenders apparently

I actually agree.

Alot of the pharma companies European headquarters are in Benelux countries too. I know no route has been a pain in the ass for them when site visits are arranged.

I don't know for sure but my guess is they are pursuing both (there was what looked like a KLM trial flight a few months ago) but Paris is working out because the route has more recent history and there is a French dignatory in mid West.

Ireland to France tourism and Rugby tourism would be the reasons Id hope it could work.

Would be an interesting one, to the best of my knowledge they don't operate in any other Irish airport but have had planes painted in Shannon.

Ryanair main operations in Shannon are Eastern Europe, bucket and spade plus UK routes now, maybe there is an opportunity to service some cities in Western Europe.

Transavia France operate DUB-ORY

Ah right, hadn't realised. I think any extra route is a good one. Would be delighted to see it.

EI LRA & EI LRB are positioning down to SNN this morning from DUB.

SNN BOS resumes today and SNN JFK resumes tomorrow. Great to see TA flights back. Im sure the BOS flight today will be the first through CBP in 2 years.

• Advertisement

United due in over the weekend too.

Cbp have been kept busy with private traffic.

Ryanair are adding a twice weekly SNN MRS from 04 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Nice plug for the airport on virgin media news for the return of transatlantic

Can anyone explain all the AL. Regional AT76's flying between Shannon and Dublin today?

Training?

Yeah training flights it seems.

There has been a good few of the Training flights running between SNN & DUB lately

Something else for Shannon to target is probably AL regional flights.

Bristol or Cardiff, Glasgow, Leeds and Newcastle all routes that have some potential.

Bristol the one with the most

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is Shannon in the crosshairs of the Ruskies? if armageddon breaks out

I know there are Russian companies in Shannon (Airport services Co. S) as well as the varadero Moscow flights no longer being able to stop, so I think it already is

No, just like it wasn't when the media said Iraq etc would attack us.

• Advertisement

Should have been clearer, don't see airport in crosshairs more that I know there are some businesses directly affected by sanctions

Advertisement