Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

Nice layout inside, not a fan from the outside. The windows so far apart really stick out (in a bad way) from the outside, don’t really fit in with their surrounds. I liked the kitchen, but I do wonder how it works on a day that isn’t filled with sunshine?

Nice family, tough enough time too with construction closing and all the delays. Did well to keep costs down with the help of the QS and contractor, you’d probably be looking at at least 50k extra if they hadn’t have started pre-construction lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

As if you wouldn’t be tired and stressed out having to do a 3 hour commute in the morning with 3 boys, one of whom is autistic, and bring them to their various schools, while at the same time doing a self-build which just happens to to be filmed for TV during a pandemic, with costs rising all the time. Give it a rest, ffs!

As an aside, how did they manage to build a massive house on a €400k budget. That seems very cheap, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

How big was the house in sq m??? Did they mention what type of heating system they had?? BER rating etc. that’s the kinda things I like to see.

I think a house like that would be well suited to a large corner window upstairs to make the most of the sun/light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What type of kitchen doors did they fit in the end, I switched channels when he was showing them the stained plywood they didn't like, for the second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

The website for the show usually has a list of suppliers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

In the end they went for black stained wood ( think it was plywood). It looked ok in fairness but not sure how practical it would be longterm.

I think Dermot always does bad designs for kitchens - he certainly isnt a cook. Some of his kitchens arent practical at all for heavy use - wood countertops and bad layouts etc. I would imagine his kitchens get worn out very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They showed "coiled piping" before they filled the ground with concrete.....that's usually underfloor heating?

Home Rescue is good for this.

Roisin irritates me abit but as an architect she is very good, she does seem to listen to her clients.

Most stuff comes from Ikea who do sponsor the show so is affordable.

Peter seems on the ball and able to turn his hand to anything she suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

They were also in DPL on Kill Ave in Dun Laoghaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Home Rescue could be great but they spend far too much focus on how great the (usually hoarder) client is for throwing out some of their crap (or on their sob-story) and not near enough focus on the design and build. I've also noticed a severe lack of storage in a lot of the end results: the houses look great because they've just thrown out half their stuff, but they no longer have anywhere obvious to keep the kids bikes / the bins / the lawnmower etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Glad they got the house they needed.

The front and the black internal windows and stairs etc wouldn't work for me personally.

I liked the interiors in general, not sure about the kitchen (the thing over the kitchen staining thing felt a bit silly...they wanted some drama for the show...)

They got serious bang for their buck! Seems like builder probably lost a fair whack on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Agree - Home rescue is about decluttering and less about design . Roisins designs/plans are awful in my opinion ( admittedly though the last series the designs did improve). Roisins pushes her taste on people - tacky, cheap and off the wall. The rooms only look good because they were such a mess before and the owners are clueless re interior design. Most of the time the rooms dont even look finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭blackbox

I thought the interior was quit good but I thought the front facade looked dreadful.

What was the crack with those panels in the windows? They'd have been much better as glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The furnishing, pictures etc all really nice I agree.

I agree about the front, I didn't really catch why they decided to do it...I think he said something about replicating more bespoke windows? Didn't work for me either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

There's no way the builder took those price rises on the chin as they portrayed in the episode.There won't be a single builder in the country thanking them for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

They went to tender in late 2020. A lot (but not all) of the price rises happened before that. They agreed to leave out some things, like the zinc roof, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Not questioning the price rises. It's the part with the builder footing the extra costs is the unrealistic part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Very fortunate to have friends who can loan them a house. A bloody house! I can barely get a lift when I need it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any idea whereabouts in Kilmacud it is? Would love to see it in the flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Like others I didnt like the front facade and the windows with no reveals, its like what youd see on an Ibis or Travelodge hotel near a motorway.

One thing not mentioned on thread, how would people here feel if they bought a 3 bed semi for circa 600k only to find out after the sale that the owners you bought it from are now building a house of twice the size next door for 400k? The newer house goes back about twice as far as the one that was sold so there would be light lost and a sense of being overlooked. If planning permission was granted before the sale the purchasers wouldnt have had a chance to express their views. I wonder if the purchasers even knew a house was to be built right next to theirs when buying it? It cant be nice to move into your new house and you're barely getting settled in and a construction site pops up next door with all that entails. Not sure about others here but a scenario like that would stop me buying the house in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I would imagine if they had sold the site with planning it would have been more than the difference in price of the one they sold and the build cost. I also take all these tv show build costs with a pinch of salt, moreso the likes of grand designs where the costs are all controlled by the owners, sure they can say whatever figure suits them.

That's where due diligence comes in.

If you are buying a property with "free land" beside it , it will be up to you to find out who owns it. When you realise it's the people that are currently selling the house that you are buying alarm bells should be ringing.

It's hard to tell from the editing but it did look like the site was partitioned off before the house sold...so it is likely that the new owners were aware of the plan.

Also I don't think they got what the asking price they wanted but they never said what it did sell for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

I think they said €620 was the asking price but they sold for 20k less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

yeah - it's gone up its own hole in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Regarding the new owners of the old house - They'd want to be blind not to see the building site beside them and stupid not to enquire of future plans for it.

I'd imagine planning permission for a new build was already granted before they sold their primary house, as in bog standard 4 bed detached house....otherwise they'd just convert/ extend the old house.

I think they wanted to release the capital of the primary house to pay for the new build.....they are probably mortgage free or fairly close to it now......if they went conversion route they'd have 200-300k extra expense so would need a larger mortgage.

That said as it was an inheritance property they probably always had a small enough mortgage, depending on how many siblings were needed to be bought out.

I'd say the issues to planning permission, if there were any were Dermot's proposed plan, as there's never anything bog standard about his plan.

Post edited by Princess Calla on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

House was sold in October 2020 for €545,000. Was priced at €550,000. https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/details/44_kilmacud_park_stillorgan_co_dublin_ireland-459940/

I didn't like the finish on the exterior too much, but I really liked the interior with the exception of the kitchen presses. Would have liked to have seen the garden fully, but it looked like a work in progress. Someone mentioned the side entrance, I really like it like that and the wall that slightly hid it.

The purchaser of the house next door would have been made aware of the new one by their solicitor, if not then off to the Law Society.

No mention of energy at all, also didn't see any roof panels but it could be an air source heat pump. That's a big mistake in todays climate, they could give it 2 mins (literally) of the 50 min running time.

Overall a good show and a nice couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they mentioned the fact that pv panels were taken off the list in the cost cutting I think. like you say I think I'd cut elsewhere these days rather than leave those out. hopefully the cabling is there for them in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

You dont have to have a sensory room. I am sure you make up for it with love.

Advertisement