Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Gave up finishing cattle out of a shed 3-4 years ago. Record prices for beef are match by record prices for ration and fertlizer. Silage takes a lot of fertlizer and ration has increased by 60% in 5 years. As well a finishing animal takes twice the space of a store.

TBF for the first time in ten+ years factory prices have not declined in February. But f##k that 5-6 years of sh!the was enough of Larry keeping the margin to himself.

Yee are entitled to your in the sun. For the last four years I have had no stupid meal bill in the spring.....do you know what neither will I this year. Larry will have to work hard to get me back to that sh!t.

Went to the Kerry Donegal match today. Got up any 7.15, ate the porridge and fed the cat (30 minutes) went to the farm (20 -25 minutes away) fed the cattle,( lucky only had to give out one bale) went to the shop.on the way home got the PAPER+ a brown roll and home for 9.15. I put on the air fryer with a couple of sausages, a rasher a few mushrooms, poached an egg.

F@@k February cattle prices.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Larry must have had a conversion experience. Thank the Lord! And still people are critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

38,000 cattle killed last week. Plenty must disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's great to see a big kill now and lads getting a good price.

It is a big help for later in the year.

All the talk of low numbers being finished this spring hasn’t happened. Though they would have tightened by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

Bass you said, you, Got up any 7.15, ate the porridge and fed the cat (30 minutes). What in the hell did you give the cat that it took half an hour.

1500of them were calves. 40-50% are on contracted prices. Loads of cattle slaughter from late November to late January with no price rise. Assuming a base price of 4.5/kg it's 25-30c/kg of a rise. On a 350kg carcase, it's 80-100 euro a head. How much of that margin is go on extra feed costs. And as I said it's the first year in a.long while that prices have rises throughout February.

Most of any prices rise is swallowed in the rise in inputs. As one lad days every lads expects the other lad to cut back. This is especially true of winter finishing. It's one rat race I glad I am gone from.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

A couple of mice from the mousetrap and a sprinkle of minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

you forgot limestone flour, that Chinese consortium must be back buying.

That is only 20c/ kg over October/November prices or 70 euro/ head. FJ was quoting AA prices and the higher bonus you get along with QA.

As I said it's the first year finishers received a continuous rise during February. However there was no rise around Christmas.

With prices paid for stores last Autumn and the way costs have risen it hard to see a sustainable margin. If you need to replace these cattle for to finish during the summer, there is little visible margin cattle out there either.

On 8-10kgs/head and silage cattle are costing 3.2-3.6/ day to feed. Cattle would need to be gaining 1.4 kgs/day to be breaking even on feed costs V price

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

CJ I think you might be the only winter finisher left, finally got my meal bill cleared last year, first time I had a bit of money coming up to Christmas. Hope it stays good for you so you can pass a trickle down to the store producer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Probably a big black and white friesan cat, they eat a lot, much harder fed than the smaller black cats.

A lot of smaller operators that were slaughtering 10-30 cattle each winter have exited winter finishing. Processor's paying contracted finishers 20&30c/ kg extra means the independent finisher has to pay for this.

The new proposed 100/ head U24 months slaughter premium along with AIBP's proposed bonus scheme is a way to go entice in smaller lads again.

Ya if you can pick there Continentals that have huge growth rates and grade Our better at 8-12 months there is a margin there. But for average cattle it's a waster if time

Slava Ukrainii

Tell me where the margin is on an AA bought at 500 kgs last autumn at 2.2-2.4/ kg that now kills 320 DW and makes 1500 euro.

I cannot see it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

is 4.50 for heifers freely available this week?

The lad that usually takes ours said 4.40…..I was like “paper seems to be quoting 4.50”.

Hard to bargain when you only have 1 at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

I'm still feeding cj we will go broke together. We can be 'feeding friends'

450/455 blks/heifers is available. Lots of cattle sold at 5 cent less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

It's hard to bargain unless you have 50+ cattle will in the yard. 5-10c/ kg is nothing if you have to travel with cattle. This time of year with feeding costs you cannot really hold cattle. During the summer inc ration costs may only be a euro a day. An animal will gain 3-4 kgs DW in a week will cover feeding costs and could go up a sub grade in a month.

Slava Ukrainii

10 cent a kilo is still 40 quid on her head. Would like to get it!

Bit yeah. She has to go either way. She slipped a calf and has very little feed eaten and is in good trim and is 10 days from 30 months. Plus she is a bad feeder so is a nuisance to feed separately. She would be a wile getting back the 12 cents per kilo she will lose by going overage.

On Agriland they always make it seem like it is…..! thanks for the “calibration”

• Advertisement

I think it’s then 8 cent for 30-36 months bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

@893bet with a single lady like that would you not chance her in the mart? Age/Movements seem to be making little difference there and you could always bring her home?

I would be an option but time is against me now with only 8 days under 30m. Need her away this week and the only marts close by are on Thursday-Saturday. So no option to bring home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

893 I would be more incline to show her in the mart, wouldn't really worry about her going over age going to the mart, I know the lads buying the likes of her locally in the mart don't seem to get to caught up in it (yes it could knock €30 - €40 off her price from a similar animal at 24 months). But I do think you would get more for her in the mart than the factory. She looks like the sort of animal that could take 3 -4 more months of good feeding to get her into a good weight / grade. Like you haven't been feeding her to kill her plus she slipped a calf which would knock her back a bit.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

There were bad years that we didn’t go broke so hopefully we shouldn’t go broke this year 🤞

There are plenty at it looking at the numbers. Forward bought all our meal for this winter so doing alright. Try to never let the meal bill go over a month or two.

Passing it back to the store man alright. Tipping away buying bulls again for grass. Probably €80 to €120 more than last year at a glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Friend of mine missed a red LM bullock in the mart last October he was 540 Kgs and he was getting €1,350 for him (I though it was a good enough price) but his comrades made all made better money. He had him out again today 615 Kgs €1,710. €360 for about 110 days and only fed silage. I nice enough return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sadly it’s very common, heard of a lad lately making €350 in a week. No point been a soft seller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

1350 euro was a good price to walk away from in fairness. You would need a crystal ball to know what happens next month not to mind next year in farming. I have often sold cheap and have often said no sale. It's hard to know

Advertisement