Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Doesn't really answer the core question at all, if hypothetically the social/economic clusterf*ck that is NI was a symptom of partition rather than an unrelated separate issue, would that change your position that somehow NI should sort its own sh*t before you'd consider voting for Unification, or would you be happy to have an irreparable socioeconomic mess inherently tied to us until after the kids/grandkids you're so concerned about are but distant memories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Plenty of evidence that there are a multitude of opinions on social issues blanch.

All the social issues produced debate and rancour within FG and FF, evidence supplied on that.

Add the realisation that they only got crusady when they sensed the time was right and the public wanted it. See the evidence of the Tanaiste and his about face.

They have done the same on a UI - sensing that the mood is swinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is no onus on me to back up an opinion.

Are we going down the road of 'Alternative' facts Francie?

Not all opinions are equal though.

The opinion of a flat-earther is not and should not be given the same weight as a scientist who works for NASA.

My opinion is based on evidence, kind of like the scientist who works for NASA, yours is based on a hunch.

Yes, its uncanny that its the default reaction.

Plenty of evidence

So, would you mind sharing this evidence? Or is it the 3rd secret of Fatima?

To repeat, this is your statement

FG are as socially conservative on other issues as FF.

You have offered nothing as evidence to that claim even when asked repeatedly.. in fact, you blankly stated that you have no onus to back up your claim.

What a wonderful world we live in, that people make claims yet don't have to provide an iota of evidence to back them up.

The moon is made of cheese after all.

• Advertisement

Did you sleep through the years of divorce, abortion and SSM referendums?

There were plenty in FG who had misgivings about those social issues. That's the evidence.

The Taniaste was against marriage reform until, as I said, the mood of the electorate changed and he changed his mind. Hardly the zeal of a great social reformer.

Plenty of evidence even if you keep your head in the sand.

FG and FF could live quite happily with each other (and are)on social issues. So much so, I suspect it was sham fighting that they have engaged in for nearly a 100 years.

It is not the 'difference you think it is',

That is not evidence, that is just a monologue.

Hard evidence please Francie.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You mentioned the possibility of generational debt. Did you forget the banking crisis or miss the numerous reports on how we treat children in health and as regards child homelessness?

Nobody mentioned Sinn Fein. They live in some peoples heads.

'Fianna Fail, the Republican Party'

You mentioned republicans and Nazis.

I see you skipped the response to your own comments. Can't always throw in an attack and runaway. Not a good look.

You missed my point.

There was decades in this country where people wore the green jersey and banged their chest when it came to their Irishness and Republican credentials. Thankfully a lot of that is gone now, but I fear a new generation led by SF and their cult will bring us down that rabbit hole where we are happy to let our children and grandchildren be poor, all in the name of a UI.

Nothing to do with the blueshirts mind.

FG didn't bleed people who had opinions? I think you'll find they did.

The Tanaiste didn't hold the views he did on marriage reform until the wind changed and he changed his opinion miraculously too? Hmmmm.

• Advertisement

Let's recap.

This is what you said:

Some poeple would rather see their children and grandchildren consigned to poverty for a United Ireland. We had the same type of thinking in the last century when radical republicans aligned with Nazi's to further the cause.

"Some poeple would rather see their children and grandchildren consigned to poverty for a United Ireland"

This is an opinion. Fair, possible. I pointed out to you that we've had all this all ready and are still in the throws of it thanks to the government parties.

"We had the same type of thinking in the last century when radical republicans aligned with Nazi's to further the cause."

You spoke about radical republicans aligning with Nazis. No mention of Sinn Fein. Fianna Fail call themselves 'The Republican Party'. Fine Gael are born from Nazism. Both had their Nazi connections. All valid points to make based on your comment.

In short we have and are enduring all the worst of what you suggest a UI will bring.

I was calling out your bullshit, not defending a party you never even mentioned.

Let's stick to the topic, shall we?

You said:

I countered with evidence and facts to the contrary.

You seemingly want to try and wiggle your way out of your statement:

"There is no onus to prove an opinion"

The world is flat

The moon is made of cheese

Vaccines don't work

In short we have and are enduring all the worst of what you suggest a UI will bring.

If you honestly think things cannot get worse under a UI, then there is no point debating with you, as you dont live in reality.

Ireland is not the hell hole you make it out to be Brucie.

We have already endured "children and grandchildren consigned to poverty" based on bad policy and those who defend it in whatever form it might take. That's my comment on your predictions of doom.

I never said you were wrong or it couldn't be worse. In fact I said it was fair opinion and possible. All you are doing here is trying to spin the narrative away from your original comment.

IMO a UI is about all of us not just the kind of self interested thinking that helped lead us to partition in the first place. A UI includes the people of NI. I think ultimately they will certainly have a more stable government and a self governed one at that.

It's no hell hole. Never said it was. Quit the amateur dramatics. Mind, it's often run by self interested incompetents with a penchant for taking back handers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Haven't seen you produce a single piece of evidence.

Rabbiting on about there being evidence that the moon is made of cheese is not the same thing as actually tasting it.

Plenty of hard evidence is there and has been produced to show that Fine Gael have consistently been more socially progressive than Fianna Fail on issues as wide-ranging as contraception, divorce, abortion, women's rights, same-sex marriage etc. All of that hard evidence contradicts your speculative uninformed opinion.

Look at the last 40 years. All progressive social change was led by Fine Gael and Labour while Fianna Fail dragged their heels, Sinn Fein spent their time in support of criminal murdering thugs and the Greens focussed on climate change priorities. Of the latter three, only the Greens can be excused.

It is very strange that the Blueshirts keep getting dragged up. Apart from the fact that those who raise it almost invariably get their historical facts wrong, there is no relevance to any politics of today. It is just plain whataboutery.

FG love creating fantasies of themselves as crusaders, but in reality mostly responded to progression elsewhere and public pressure.

The SSM being the most recent example.

Urban FG may be more progressive than FF but they are on a par rurally, I would suggest rural FG is more conservative than FF. They certainly are here on the border.

Afraid to just legislate and be done with it they let the Citizens Assembly make the headway first rather than cause any ructions in the party, which there would have been outside the urban areas.

I actually remember the likes of O. J. Flanagan, Alice Glenn and Tom O'Donnell blanch.

I would suggest the dalliance with fascism (Blueshirts) stemmed from that innate right wing conservatism, the Irish Tory's nickname doesn't exist for nothing either and need I mention the 'crusaders' in YFG :).

We are miles off topic, I will leave it there, have at the fantasy if you wish.

So O. J. Flanagan, Alice Glenn and Tom O'Donnell etc were figments of my imagination?

YFG are just a nasty Oliver Callan sketch?

The Blueshirts are just a nasty plot to discredit FG?

😁😁

Fake history on blueshirts and minor dinosaur figures sidelined 40 years ago are all you have?

As for YFG, are you having a laugh? Aren't they the ones with a policy on diversity and inclusion at their meetings? A bit of a contrast to kangaroo courts in Belfast all right.

As you say yourself, this is off-topic, you've already indicated that you have spoken your last words on this (albeit several posts ago) so I will leave it there with your cheesy moon argument comprehensively demolished.

• Advertisement

Can't resist as you go on a round of vainglorious celebration. 😁

'Dinosaurs, sidelined' you say?

Seems to me and others they are breeding yet another crop.

Meanwhile, Young Fine Gael (YFG) has become a place to retreat to if you harbour strong, conservative right views.

How many posts is that since you were leaving it there because it was off-topic?

As I said, I couldn't resist in the face of the victory parade and taunting. I'm only human. 😉

Its not. Bringing up SF all the time is agenda driven. The blueshirts were raised to show FG's connection to Nazism as was FF. The connection to nazism was raised by the poster, not I.

You brought SF into it. Agenda driven deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well the mess up there is absolutely in part due to partition among multiple other factors so again your question makes no sense and is trying to massively simplify it for no reason I can discern.

If you agree that the mess is due to partition, I'm trying to establish the logic of your position.

The simplification is because I'm aware it is a multifactorial situation and I didn't want to get bogged down in arguing about what percentage of the problem is due to each factor, and address the core issue behind my question.

If partition is the reason for the socioeconomic mess that NI is, where is the logic in insisting that it is fixed before removing that cause? If partition is the cause of the mess, how can the symptom be treated while leaving the cause unattended?

If you burn your hand on the stove, you take it off the stove before treating the burn.... you don't just moan that it's still burning and not worth treating until it stops burning. All the burn cream and good will in the world isn't going to stop it from burning if you insist on leaving it there.

Another monologue.

Monologues != evidence

Please provide evidence of the following.

Thanks,

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

But using your analogy taking your hand off the stove doesn't make the problem go away either. Basically partition is a cause of the issues but due to the century of bad blood a UI isn't going to magically cure the problem it will just in unionists eyes disenfranchise them to the same extent republicans feel disenfranchised now and all the good will on the world coming from Dublin isnt going to change that because you cant change their minds that we are and always will be the enemy much like London is to republicans.

Back to your analogy once the hand is removed from the stove there would be endless arguments about which burn treatment is best and until both sides agreed on the treatment nothing would be done to fix it because the two people arguing over this have never learned how to work together.

• Advertisement

But still beats leaving your hand on the hot stove, so to speak.

Advertisement