Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

latvias 500000 russians must be throwing a party in riga planning rejoining mother russia as we speak .. a whole can of worms opened with putins speech tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Probably a more frightening spectre than a war in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

I thought it was well timed for maximum exposure. Primetime slot, the line in the sand is draw. Zelinski will have to ask the US what to do next. I like how Putin said if Ukraine attacks these areas it will face the consequences.

Now Russia gets the East. If they trigger sanctions then it can take the rest. Power move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think it's less about joining NATO and more about freedom of association. They have the right as a sovereign nation to plot their own course, that is worth dying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He's such a cnut.

This is the pretext to steal more Ukrainian land.

Putin tonight just ripped up the Minsk agreement.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When Putins forces downed flight MH17 and the world did nothing. He started formulating these plans. He saw that there was no cohesion. A weak response and that he could control the narrative via the UN.

I've no doubt he laughed and thought what can I get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭briany

There are currently 300,000 ethnic Russians living in the eastern part of Estonia who Putin may decide are yearning for freedom one of these days. Formerly, I wouldn't have imagined that Russia would ever do anything about this, being that Estonia is a full member of NATO, but nowadays I'm not so sure, such is the apparent aversion by western allies to directly confront Russia. Not that aversion would be hard to understand, since Russia is loaded with nukes, but at the same time, how far could Russia push it before someone says 'enough is enough'? Make military incursions into every former SSR and use subterfuge to topple every remaining government east of Germany, re-establishing the eastern bloc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

I heard 110% of the population voted "YES". Question to be decided later.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oh I have ,I said it should it have happened 8 years ago ,now it's time to punish Russia,and punish them hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

And that's one of the better outcomes......you might be given the grand tour of the Lubyanka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

any kind of bullshit with an actual NATO or EU member is legitimately WW3 though, no ifs or buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Wonder does he have some mental problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Didn't Draghi say only yesterday that energy commodities wouldn't be in any sanctions...or something to that effect.

as putin threatens to show ukraine what real de-communisation means...

eu countries are split as to when to trigger sanctions... now or wait a few more weeks till russian peace keepers enter ukraine "independent" areas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭brickster69

How do you buy energy without SWIFT ? Maybe Putin cancels SWIFT

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Johnson has just said they are ready to go as soon as the first Russian boot steps forward...... Which will be pretty soon I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not that It actually means much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's something else reading reddit with all the yanks commenting on this Russian thing. "propaganda!!" is every second comment....as if they're not faced with propaganda themselves...they supported an invasion of Iraq on it.

And then there's the whole parroting of US officials. If I read another headline where it says something like "Russia says it has killed 5 Ukrainians who crossed the border into Russia" that's followed by some yank saying "Ah Russia creating a pretext!" just because they heard the US guy say Russia would create pretext for an invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

NATO expansion east. And US interference in Eastern Europe.

I haven't changed my position.

I still don't think a full scale invasion of Ukraine is very likely either tbh. But you never know.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I thought the whole point would be that they/us (the West, EU etc) won't be handing Russia any more foreign currency (Euros/Dollars) by buying Putin's hydrocarbons for the forseeable if this war goes ahead?

Isn't that mainly why a cut off of Russia edit: is going to be painful (large rises in costs of energy + fuel and possible shortages/rationing) + why you've seen German reluctance about it etc.?

So Western Europe not being able to transact for Russian oil/gas doesn't seem to explain why also cutting Russia out of international banking is a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Go back to 2014 and there's probably very similar tweets from EU officials about Crimea. The EU is weak and just full of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭billyhead

all this uncertainty is only driving up oil prices which only benefits putin .. in oct 2021 the same man predicted 100 dollars a barrell .. time to stop buying gas/oil from him asap .. but again eu are too weak and germans have turned off their nuclear power plants (thanks green party) just when we need alternative energy supplies urgently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah so NATO and the US forced Putin into annexing Crimea and now into recognising two puppet entities inside another sovereign country? Do you actually believe this garbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The removal of Russian access to SWIFT has been discussed at length throughout Europe as an option if Russia invades Ukraine. Are you saying it can't be done? Do you know something all these other governments don't know?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

dont forget parts of georgia too, troops stationed in belarus, Kazakhstan, moldova east too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Could the EU source enough gas to run its economy without any gas from Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

This is NOT about NATO. It was NEVER about NATO.

AT ALL.

Vladolf is about to launch Operation Barbrossiya and Europe needs to WAKE UP and cripple Russia with sanctions tonight as a baseline absolute minimum.

If it does not do this as a baseline minimum, every bit of rhetoric about values and rules and freedom since World War II becomes meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Egg on the faces of all the Putin supporters in here. 'They were only having military drills'; ' They are entitled to put army anywhere on their land' etc etc etc.

The US have called him out in advance and have been right on everything. Putin is in a no win situation. He is desperate and that ramble he just had in front of the world proves it. Absolute state of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement