Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No. I charge about 3 times a week and don't mind getting the cable out of the car. I do take care to roll it up carefully as it can be very annoying if it gets into a big granny knot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

At once a week its probably ok. Dont under estimate the once a week though as you arent really going to let the car go down to 10% and then plug it in. You will want some reasonable level of charge in it each day for unplanned trips.

Worst case scenario though, you find the untethered isnt working out for you and you can simply buy a cable and leave it permanently attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i only charge once or twice a week, personally the only tethered charger i could look at is the andersen and it cost a fortune so got an eo untethered and dont regret it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just to give people an idea on payments.

we lodged payment request for my father in law on 16th December. Got email today, 18th Feb confirming payment has been made by EFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Yes I went untethered and regret it. I now find I'm leaving my type 2 cable plugged in all the time so it's like a tethered. It fine mostly cos it most short runs and my commute where I don't need to charge but my fear is now that I'll be caught short somewhere with my type 2 cable at home instead of in my boot where it should be left!

Think it was an extra 50 quid for tethered but now ill have to fork out 200 if I buy a separate type 2 cable to leave plugged in

• Advertisement

Buy the Type 2 cable on the Tesla website for €99. It’s a 32a 3 phase cable so is future proof too.

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/type-2-adapter---32a

Leave one in your car. Sorted.

Thanks. Is that a regular type 2 cable that will work with any type 2 charger? I've a Peugeot E2008 so just want to be sure it will work with that before spending €99

Yes. I also gave a lend to a fellow boardsie to test on his Tuscan PHEV to relieve his fears about ordering one.

Any type 2 will work with any type 2 car.

Thats great gumbo...thanks!

• Advertisement

Every day or every 2nd day depening on trips planned for next day. Only have the ev 3 weeks but I also have solar pv so in another few weeks I expect to have excess power to dump into the ev so will be plugging in any time the car returns home

Ah fair enough if I was plugging in every day I'd prefer tethered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Hoping to get delivery of an Enyaq by mid/late April so wondering how soon should I arrange installation of a charging point?

Is there an easy sticky post explaining the process (struggling with new interface and the search option0. I reckon we need to pay for the unit and installation ourselves and then apply for the grant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Exact opposite, you must apply and be approved prior to the installation. Approval lasts 6 months.

Do you have a smart charge that takes excess?

what size PV array do you have?

Yes I have a zappi with the hub etc. 6.2kw array.

Perfect set up.

just remember to set it to eco and plug the car in 😀

I have a 4.7kw array but would have little excess as I have battery storage.

Has anyone installed an Andresen A2 recently? What company did you go with and how much can you expect to pay for it after the SEAI grant?

I like how you can hide the cable within the box and the fact that you can chose different colours

Recently installed. Cost roughly 2400. So 1800 net of grant. There really is only one ground currently installing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

2400 for a charger! I have some magic beans you might be interested in

• Advertisement

Tad bit insulting there, speaks to your character tbh you feel the need to make such a comment. They're all glorified plugs at the end of the day, how much should it cost? There is a Brexit premium at play.

I like it and appreciate the design aspects of it. I'm sure in years to come it will be a feature of the property and should we ever sell up I won't be out of pocket. It's a luxury item.

Looks really nice and I love the way it integrates well with the façade of the house though selection of different fascia's.

I was hoping the cost would be roughly 1000 euro on top of the grant but as you say above, they are a UK based company plus the number of installers probably low enough. Cost in the UK (without installation but including VAT) is 1100 pounds so the markup is huge

If you want a tethered charger that.doesnt have to be hidden away it's the only show in town really if aesthetics are important to you.

Backhanded insults speak to a person's character too.

That price is frankly ridiculous and if you're willing to pay that for a fairly basic charger with just a nice fascia then it deserves to be questioned.

Far cheaper to get another charger and put a box over it. Not limited to their design choices then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You’d get a good carpenter/ steelworks etc to make a lovely unit for less then 1200 that could cover any other charger.

What are you doing buying copper, rather than smelting it in your own forge, only a fool would going with store bought copper. Anyway, your implication that the purchase was foolish and gullible, it was neither. I spent a massive amount of time researching what charger to get and comparing the pros and cons.Technology wise it's far from basic. you should have a think about why you feel the need to put down other people's purchasing decisions. Show us your charger if you feel so confident.

They where cheaper here before Brexit. The firm I was dealing with basically had to have a full time member of staff managing the import process now and that has to be paid for. It's become really challenging for small business to import from the UK with many just stopping their offering. Prior to Brexit there was 3 companies in the Dublin area offering Andersen installations, but now there really is just one doing residential and frankly they nudge slightly towards EU sources chargers. Not sure the Mark up is all that great at the end of the day. They probably have better margins on a Zappi or hypervolt.

The deciding factor for us was some of the installations around the neighborhood. From super weird deal extreme chargers to shite job KN installs with ducting everywhere. I felt it would annoy me everyday and deminish the enjoyment of my home to have a mess at the front door. I wanted something that added to the house, not take away from it if that makes sense. When 1200 euro can get you a shite job, 2400 didn't seem that much of a stretch.

I think that figure is a bit off based on what I've seen advertised for some gun metal pipe shelves. Is this a realistic option for people, to source a steelworks? You're paying for the design, Maybe you can reproduce something similar yourselve, but that's not an option.

Also spending a few days sourcing and managing trades people, is not free either. Grand if diy is a hobby and you get the craic from it, for me it's just work.

maybe you could, have no idea but personally id just buy the andersen, you would hardly save that much and it would be more hassle.

personally i was happy with untethered and our eo mini is hidden behind a down pipe but i can understand the appeal of the Anderesen.

why does what someone else, who is obviously well informed in what they are buying and what the alternatives are, deserved to be questioned on how they spend their money?

This isn't an echo chamber, it's a discussion forum. If he can't handle people disagreeing with his choices then why bother posting? As to why I'm questioning it? Simple really, as I've already stated, €2400 for an EV charger is ridiculous. There's no malice or ill intent behind that statement, absolutely no reason to get offended.

I've had 5 installs now, all of which were fully covered by the grant. That's the way it should be. Prices have sky rocketed in the last few years, both from manufacturers and installers. That wouldn't be happening unless people were willing to pay those prices. Prices should have remained steady with inflation being offset with economies of scale. But no, we now have people thinking €2400 is fine. That's mad Ted.

• Advertisement

Photos or it didn't happen. If they're anything more than an outdoor socket wrapped in duct tape, spray painted neon green, sitting in a puddle of water, expect to be called a rube. Maybe you wouldn't need five installations if you got the job done right the first time?

Anyway, I was providing requested helpful information to another poster to help them in their purchasing decision. You can have all the opinions you want about the value of that, etc, and you're free to share, but you crossed into character commentary. Comments like yours that attack the character of others makes people not want to share their experiences. It's one of the reasons people don't talk about how much things cost them in public which only helps drive prices up.

Over on the EV6 thread a poster quoted a price 2K more than what I paid. I didn't respond with "I'll sell you some magic beans you bumbling idiot, you imbecile of a person" as that wouldn't have been a nice or helpful comment, instead I told them they where being overcharged and advised them where they could get a better deal. You see how one type of response is about your own ego and bigging yourself up at the expense of another while the other is about being helpful?

Frankly, I got a lot of help and support in this thread and this forum for my purchasing decision, advice is generally offered freely without judgement.

Advertisement