Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

It'll be 6 weeks in a row if we make the final.

I'd assume the Dome was ruled out due to limited attendance numbers

I think Leitrim are on one of the pitches at Bekan as opposed to the actual Dome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Yep I though it was Dome but it's not. Dome been setup for Congress next week apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

After 3 rounds, who would have expected London to be top of the table!? Our trip to Ruislip may not be as easy as we thought because we didn’t exactly comprehensively beat Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Gearoid Mckiernan and Gerry smith were huge losses against Leitrim

I’d fully agree but it’s very rare you’ll have everyone from your 30 plus man panel fit. The squad has to be able to cope with players being missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

We played football seven weekends in a row in 2020...

The way the weather has been (and likely to be) I wouldn't be surprised with more fixtures cancelled over the upcoming weeks. Carlow by all accounts are poor but assuming the game goes ahead on Sunday, i don't see a cricket score. Wet and miserable days usually don't lend themselves to free-scoring matches. I hope I am wrong- it would be great for some of the younger forwards to chip in with some scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Agree wholeheartedly re younger forwards chipping in with scores. We need to establish a panel. I wouldn't worry about the jugular, I'd be more concerned with getting minutes into younger lads and resting those who are needed for the more difficult games. If we can't play some squad players against Carlow in Division 4, when exactly can we give them a chance?

Unfortunately, game management is going to come into it now. We did play seven weekends in a row in 2020 but we were largely fortunate with injuries in that time, particularly to our established players. What are lads who have been there for the guts of ten years going to learn about themselves against Carlow? If it's like the first half of the Wexford game, they'd get more intensity in a training match.

We had a lot of luck in late 2020 with injuries, no question about that. I think Madden, Conor Smith and Niall Murray all picked up bad injuries at the start of the league (Armagh game?) and coming on the back of Mackey retiring and McVeety, Conor Rehill and Moynagh stepping away (and talk of Thomas Galligan also leaving) it was a pretty bleak start to that year. But barring Covid & Pierson going off injured against Monaghan we managed to get our best 15 out for most of the Ulster games. I think we were due that in fairness!

I wonder is Jack McKenna or Conor Brady nearly ready to come back? Would like to see them getting some minutes on Sunday. Ideally either Paul Smith or Cian Madden also get more game time as well. Surely Sunday is the time for Caoimhin O'Reilly to start and put a stake down for a corner forward position with Conor Smith out for at least 6 weeks?

Meant to ask you Cavan_King, what is Rehill finished with the county? He was one of our best players in his debut season.

I think that if we had have played Sligo yesterday and got a result we might have seen a more experimental starting team against Carlow, but i think you're right, he will probably go with a fairly consistent selection (depending on fitness) and work towards the Sligo game as being the possible biggest game for Cavan in the league (with no disrespect to London, who clearly need to be taken seriously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I saw Carlow against Sligo. Carlow were probably the worst inter county team I have ever seen on a pitch in that game. Now they seem to have rallied a bit against Waterford but If Cavan go at them early and hard they will fold and Cavan should put up a big score. If our forwards cant score against them then god help us in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is this Morris lad that has switched to Kingscourt eligible to play for Cavan this year?

To my knowledge he won't be going back while some current players are in situ. There was a falling out with one in particular back in November 2019 when the county team trained something crazy like 26 of the 30 days. Rehill voiced his disapproval with the amount of training publically after a session. He was lambasted publically by one senior player in particular. This senior player did approach him afterwards with a view to building bridges but he is not interested in going back.

That's what I was told anyway. Is it fact? Your guess is as good as mine. Since the Terry Hyland days, county players have an omerta about giving away info.

I would actually like to see others rather than Kelly or Smith get a chance. I don't think either are intercounty level. Smith may be my club man and he's a great club player but not intercounty standard. There's no shame in that. The club game is serious enough that if you excel at it you are doing well. Don't get me wrong, they may be fit for a Division 4 game but I think we need to start getting players ready for when we move back up the Divisions. I'd like to see the likes of Caoimhin O'Reilly, Evan Finnegan and one of the Laragh lads get a start. I'm not talking about wholesale changes. Make about 2/3 and if the game is going well, give some lads the second half in place of a Gearoid or a Killian Clarke. It's difficult to get the the correct mix between giving new lads and chance and keeping more established players ticking over re game time and confidence.

Although it was atrocious conditions yesterday, Meath scored only one point from play - they did get two goals that said. They aren't playing well and have 1 point from 3 games, including 2 home games. They have Derry, Cork, Offaly and Clare left to play and may find themselves (hopefully) in Division 3 with us next year. Hopefully Faulkner gets in Morris' ear because he would be an addition to any county team in the country. The one thing I think may have stopped him coming to Cavan was Meath being in a higher Division and higher standard of football but that may not be an issue much longer.

If they're not the standard, they're not the standard. I have seen Kelly when he has come on for Cavan and people I would trust the opinion of have told me he isn't intercounty standard.

Re young lads getting in ahead of them, perhaps you should ask some of the panel how they feel about Conor Moynagh arriving back and parachuting into the starting team ahead of them last year. It didn't go down well with some. At least McKenna or Smith are there since the start of the year.

Would you like a saucer of milk with that? Other than his fleeting appearances for the county, when exactly am I to watch Benjamin Kelly? I can’t watch all 40 lads on the county panel in depth. Kelly was a junior player until 12 months ago and I support a senior team. Why would I travel to the other side of the county to watch a lower standard of football?

Moynagh was gone for two whole League campaigns. If you know any lads on the county panel, ask them how it went down in the room when McCabe welcomed him back with open arms ahead of lads had slogged it out with barely a break between seasons.

A long standing player indeed but a long standing player who was in Australia sunning himself when those lads were training in the rain and ***t in the Winter.

So we should keeping bringing back Stephen Smith year after year as he has experience rather than give someone who may be a genuine intercounty player a chance?

I've seen Kelly play in fleeting appearances for Cavan. As I've said, I've also spoken to people whom I'd trust who state he isn't an intercounty standard player. I trust their opinion. If you see that as being ''called out on it'', then so be it. I can't watch all 40 of the Cavan panel. He's been in there long enough to make his mark by now and hasn't. Hopefully he'll get his chance and prove me wrong which I'd take great delight in.

Of interest, what do you think Benjamin Kelly will offer that other players in the panel won't? From what I've seen, he's not an attacking player and we're well covered from 1 to 9 in the squad, with adequate cover even for the two lads at midfield in the likes of Brady or Killian Clarke.

So you've gone from arguing the Moynagh issue to now agreeing with me? I'm getting confused here.

I would argue that the Laragh lads, McKenna in particular, have shown a superior level of ability to the more established fringe players, particularly in terms of the attacking intent they can provide. To steal a Paul Fitz term, McKenna is a disruptor. He will run at teams and break lines. As well as that, he is physically strong and a big man. He was one of the most exciting players in the senior championship last year that I saw, certainly worth a try in the half forward line as another option who will burst forward. Why do you think he couldn't make an immediate impact on the side?

As for Smith, if nothing else, he's a superb free taker. It's no harm to have him ready as backup if Galligan should get injured or rotated. I would still argue that Liam Brady needs to play at some stage in this campaign or we'll never attract a sub keeper again.

I see your point re a hierarchy but it's also important that players know if they earn their chance, they will get it. Otherwise, you'll find it very difficult to attract new members to the panel in future.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

How much game time has Benjamin Kelly got for Cavan over the last couple of years ?

How much game time do you think he deserves based on his ability? I would argue there's a correlation.

• Advertisement

I would prefer if you would answer my question if you know the answer instead of coming back with one....

Where is Caoimhin McGovern this year? I thought he had overcome his illness and was back playing.

Making a panel and breaking into and cementing a position as a starter are different things, and it isn't a straightforward thing of talent + application = reward.

There's a load of contingencies that have a massive impact, including injuries (to players and other people in the panel creating opportunities). Kelly has been unlucky for Cavan- he was on a crest of a wave at club level, showing form and debuted in Mickey's first competitive game. Was looking lively and then off concussed which meant he missed the other McKenna cup game (and i think was also out for the Galway game).

One of his strengths is his versatility, which is a huge asset for a panel member, but maybe that works against him as well. He also mostly plays down the centre of 1-9 and we happen to be really well stacked there. How patient can Kelly be (and others mentioned) waiting for their chance? It's always a conundrum for managers but clearly he is doing something right as he's been there or there abouts for the last few years. Chris Conroy is a great example of a player doing the right things and getting the reward in due course.

Ideally on Sunday we go out with the right approach so that the likes of Clarke, Smith or Galligan could come off with the job done and start getting minutes into lads who need the exposure at some time in the future. And no player can be judged on whether they have it at county level until they get the chance (earned by club performances and commitment to the conditioning and training). And i don't mean two minutes as a blood sub against Wexford or two minutes in McKenna cup!

We all want to see the likes of Paddy Lynch get a decent run to do that, the likes of Kelly probably need that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh it's straight forward. Ruislip pitches themselves then are about a 10/15 minute walk from the nearest Tube Station if I remember correctly. Honestly it's so suburban that it genuinely feels like an Irish neighbourhood around there.

Here's a question - of the new players who featured last year, how many are still there?

Paddy Lynch is and starting. Caoimhin McGovern has been unfortunate. McEvoy, due to forces outside football, hasn't worked out and it looks like he won't be available to Cavan for a long time. Cian Reilly, I believe, is injured but still due to be involved. Oisin Brady started against Leitrim and didn't feature against Wexford after looking promising in the McKenna Cup. Breen O'Connell has left the panel. Were there any others?

I get the feeling that Mickey rates Oisin Brady highly- so i wouldn't be suggesting he was dropped from the Leitrim game, it might have been more to get game time into Cian Madden. I could be wrong on that.

Timoney and O'Connell are the only two that I can think have dropped off the panel from last year. Timoney only made his debut against Kildare in 2020 (as did McGovern) and I think he was still in last year. (and edit, Stephen Murray for work- not a new face but definitely has left the panel, as I think has Paul Graham)

Doughty made his breakthrough in 2020 and was still on the panel for Ulster (came on against Monaghan) but definitely wasn't there last year.

Last two years we haven't seen a drastic falling off in numbers, which is a good sign.

End of 2019/ start of 2020 was a disaster (Mackey, Clarke, Moynagh, McVeety, Rehill all left and Murray, Conor Smith and Conor Madden all injured at the start of the league). Considering how 2019 ended and where 2020 started (spanked by Donegal in the final, bet out the gate by Tyrone in the back door to end 2019- a rake of lads walk away- then back to back shellackings from Armagh and Tyrone (mcKenna cup) and Armagh in the league (and a rake of injuries) i think anyone telling you leaving Armagh in January 2020 that Cavan would be Ulster champions that year would assume you had something strong in your half time tea 😀

There are a few others who have dropped off the panel who didn't overly feature but were panel members. Danny Cusack and Paul Gilcreest were in there last year from Lavey for example. Both got Ulster medals in 2019. Cusack suffered a bad injury last year, was on crutches and missed the whole club championship so it's unknown if he dropped off the panel due to that or was just let go. Mickey hadn't used him in the League last year so it's difficult to tell if he had any plans for him but doesn't appear so. Gilcreest was just let go. He only ever featured in the charity game against Monaghan in November/December 2019. In that match, a number of lads not even on the panel played like Fergal McKenna from Laragh.

Oisin Brady is a quality player. He won an Ulster All Star with St Pats which isn't easily won. There's certainly a place for him on the panel or even starting team. Has Timoney definitely left? I was hoping he was still there.

Is Ryan Connolly from Drumlane still in there? I remember him coming on in the League against Westmeath and Clare in the home games in 2020. Haven't seen him since I don't think.

Thomas Edward Donohoe from Denn isn't on the panel anymore either. I saw him down in Lidl after the Wexford match and heard then he wasn't in the panel anymore. Speaking of which, I'd like to see Denn's centre half back, think he's Oisin Kiernan also, get a run. Looked a great player in Denn's junior championship run.

I thought TED said on We Are Cavan that Mickey Graham had told him to concentrate on Denn during their run in the All Ireland club championship and then to re-join the panel afterwards. Was hoping he would be in there.

Pretty certain that We Are Cavan listed Timoney as someone not on the panel this year. He seemed to get more game time in 2020 than he did in 2021, although he did start and score in the Wicklow horror show.

Fairly certain Connolly hasn't been on the panel since the pre-Covid league fixtures. He definitely came on against Westmeath (i think he kicked a point) and had been in and around the panel before Mickey Graham but don't think he was around after the first lock down. Don't remember him featuring against Laois or Clare and we emptied the bench in both games but could be wrong but he definitely wasn't involved in the Kildare or Roscommon games pre-Ulster 2020.

Agree on Kiernan, he always stands out when I've seen Denn.

It was a person from Denn told me as I asked them after I had seen him in Lidl. I had also thought he was on the panel but they reckoned no.

Connolly kicked a point against Westmeath that just about made it over the crossbar. He also definitely came on against Clare because there were a few people who would support a rival intermediate club near me and they were highly critical of him coming on before he had even touched the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Paul Gilcreest wasn’t let go from the panel, he was injured and TED is back on the panel now.

Advertisement