Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your ideal political party? Is there anyone who matches this?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yep. That’s pretty close to my ideal too. Rigorous immigration control, that benefits this country and helps small numbers of legitimate asylum seekers, genuinely fleeing persecution. Of course that makes me Hitler in the eyes of a small cadre of misfits on here.

I’d also like a party that really champions education, making Ireland a truly innovative place for cutting edge tech, whilst also supporting our rich cultural heritage.

Last thing on my wish list is a party that really proactively tries to sort out the health service. The HSE is a mess right now and requires root and branch reform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

More or less, I agree with all of these policies, and I feel many other people do too.

Improved social insurance, stricter social assistance

Alternative ways to support families, rather than directing cash at OPFP, which is proven ineffective

stricter laws to prevent the crazy legal outcomes reported frequently in the news

better public transport

These should all be vote-winners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Green Finers take a holiday from CA, when your ban is up do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Natural Law Party. Nobody understood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Think they do still in theory but from memory a bunch of them went off to Anontu which to me looks like the same socially conservative dustbin but on the economic left wing.

Done a bit more reading up on Irish politics and came across the Progressive Democrats. Pity they sank without trace before my time here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

The ideal party already exists, Sinn Fein will take money off the bankers and put it into affordable/social housing, free healthcare & education, free bins and council working to clean up areas more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Tourists pay tax, which are used on public amenities. Stupid analogy.

I presume this is a joke?

Bank staff already pay income tax, like any other worker.

The bank pays corporation tax, like any other company.

The bank already pays a bank levy, extended until the end of 2022.

Bank shareholders pay income tax and 33% CGT, like any other shareholder.

Are you referring to EU or non-EU migration?

As members of the EU Single Market (SEM), there is freedom of movement of labour, so we can't control EU migration.

• Advertisement

So do illegal immigrants, how do you feel about them???

As per some posters on here i'd like a party who:

1. Reformed the HSE. Complete root and branch reform. There is so much waste and paperwork involved in lots of things. A decent, new IT system would be expensive, but would save a fortune in the long run as a priority.
    2. Reform our justice system. Mandatory sentencing for certain crimes with zero judicial leniency. Mandatory sentencing when hitting a certain amount of convictions, with zero judicial leniency. New prisons built as a priority. All prisons to be drug free by 2030.
    3. Reform social welfare. No more long term dole. If you want the full payment, you do at least 20 hours a week litter-picking, separating recycling, helping tidy towns volunteers etc.
    4. Child benefit to be given as a tax break after child 2.
    5. Ban foreign vulture funds. Give tax breaks to anyone with less than 20 rental properties on a sliding scale.
    6. Enforce council housing rents. Either through taking rent at source from dole or if rent unpaid, move families into large, warm, warehouses with segregated bedrooms based on family size. Communal kitchens, 24 hour security, act like an animal and you can live like an animal out on the streets. The social contract has conditions on both sides, not just the governments.
    7. Strict, enforced, skills based points system of immigration for non-EU immigrants. You don't qualify, tough. ICE units set up to find, jail and repatriate illegal immigrants. Money for repatriation to be claimed from embassy of country involved. If not forthcoming, taken at source from Foreign Aid sent to country.
    8. Foreign Aid budget to be at least halved. 1bn a year leaving the country is madness.
    9. Financial transactions out of the country to be strictly monitored, anything that looks dodgy to be frozen until a decent explanation offered. Moneygram etc to be strictly monitored.
    10. Foreign criminals to be brought from prison to a flight home. EU or Non-EU.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware there was freedom of movement in the EU...

We can control EU migration. After 3 months anyone who cannot support themselves can be repatriated. We don't utilise this, if we did Aisling Murphy would still be alive.

OK, fair enough.

It would require a lot more checks.

Do other EU countries implement this?

Advertisement