If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stereo Amp and Speaker Combination

Options
  • 20-02-2022 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi ya. I am looking for a Stereo Amplifier. Was considering the Cyrus One. I was wondering which speakers would be a good match for it ?

do you recommend the Cyrus One or is there an alternative you’d recommend for the same sort of money?

I will be using it purely for powering speakers and later on run a phono Amplifier into it although I understand it’s internal phono amp is already reasonably good.

For further context : 

possibly room for floorstanders but good sized bookshelf may be better bet due to space. 

In terms of my listening preferences. I do appreciate detail but I don’t like the sound to be abrasive or harsh where listener fatigue becomes an issue (for detail listening I have headphone setup for that anyhow). I like a holographic sound with vocals quite prominent. I am In no way a bass head and can’t stand bass being loose or flabby or bleeding much into the rest of the soundstage. I do like a fairly good low end that’s tight and detailed though. 

Most of my musical taste is 90s guitar driven, rock, metal, alternative, punk, grunge , acoustic, ska, 70s stuff like The Doors, Led Zeppelin etc with the odd music soundtrack (Hans Zimmer etc) thrown in for good measure. 

Hopefully that helps. I look forward to your reply.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi GeneticDeviant.

The Cyrus One is an excellent amp and performs very well.

Currently priced at 849 Euro

Speakers to compliment the Cyrus, you could check out the Fyne Audio F300 which are priced at 749 Euro

Or the Monitor Audio Silver 100 coming in at 899 Euro

You should check out the Leak Stereo 130 priced at 899 Euro. I love this amp, we use it everyday here at the store and its is superb.

Pair this with the Wharfdale Lintons coming in at 1179 Euro and this would be a mind blowing setup.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Thank you for the advice. In regards to speakers how would the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 pair with the Cyrus and the Leak amp ? Would they be a good smaller alternative to the Lintons ?

Hey GeneticDeviant.

The Evo 4.2 would also be a great addition to either the Cyrus or the Leak, they perform very well without over stretching the budget.

We have the Leak running at the minute here at the store and it really can run almost anything we have thrown at it right up to speakers at 9.5 K Euro and it really does sing.

The Leak is going to be my next purchase.

You could also check out the Klipsch RP600M, another great sounding speaker and pairs up well with the Leak. Priced at 794 Euro

Let me know your thoughts.

If possible my speaker choice should be suitable for sitting on a Kallax unit. Otherwise anything floorstanding or requiring a stand will require changing my room around.

Hi GeneticDeviant.

So far the speakers I have mentioned apart from the Lintons will fit in one of the Kallax units.

The Kallax is 77.2cm in height and 39.1cm in depth for each shelf.

The speakers are between 32cm - 29cm in Height and 32cm - 35cm in Depth. So as long as you are spacing the speakers out with a shelf each speaker you will be grand.

For Floorstanders there is a good deal on the Klipsch R620F at 719 Euro.

The JBL Stage A190 at 799 Euro are also a nice sounding speaker.

There is also the Oberon 5 priced at 869 Euro which are 5 star reviewed in What Hifi.

Let me know what you think.

• Advertisement

lots of options. How would you describe the sound of both the Cyrus amp and the Leak Amp. How do they differ in terms of sonic character?

Hey GenenticDeviant.

The Leak is very very well balanced and produces fantastic reproduction on any track we have played on it.

The Leak would be more bass driven and warm sounding to the Cyrus which compared to the Leak is brighter in sound.

Personally I find the Leak will suit your listen style better as it is pretty close to my own.

For the extra money the Leak is 100% worth every bit of it.

Hi. Thanks again for getting back to me.

Is there be an option whereby I can somehow connect my two speakers to both a stereo amp and an AV receiver so I can make it part of my Hi Fi setup abs my home cinema setup simultaneously? Bi amping perhaps? (Though I’m not sure this is what that means )

if so. Would some speakers be better option? I’m thinking in regards also coherency with additional speakers (for home cinema surround) etc.

Hi GeneticDeviant.

There really is no way to run a pair of speakers off two amps other than have two sets of wireless run and change them at the speaker each time you want to use the different amp.

Connecting two amps to one pair of speakers could end up damaging the speakers if both amps got switched on at once and two signals when to them at the same time.

You could perhaps add a speaker switch that would allow you to switch between the two sets but again not something that is usually done.

Bi Amping:

Many multichannel AV receivers have seven or more built-in amplifiers — one for each (potentially) connected speaker. However, because of limited space and other considerations, most home theaters (and most music listening environments) can only comfortably accommodate a standard 5.1 layout — that is, five speakers and one subwoofer. This means there are excess amplifier channels in your receiver that are not being used. And that’s the perfect excuse to bi-amp your main speakers, using two amplifiers and two sets of wires to drive each.

I hope this helps a little....

Thanks. I’m assuming an AV receiver is going to lack in comparison to something like the Leak for purely music listening / Hi Fi ?

• Advertisement

Hey GeneticDeviant.

Yeah, with the Leak being purely designed for Stereo it will sound better than all AV receivers at it price point and above.

Ok so looks like when I’ll do the home cinema I’ll need separate speakers for that then so.

How would you compare and rate other amps against the Leak and Cyrus. In particular Roksan Atessa , the Audiolab 6000 etc,

Hi GeneticDeviant.

The Attessa is a league above the Leak, Cyrus and 6000A but you do pay the extra for it. Priced at 1199 Euro.

Between the Cyrus, Leak and 6000A I still prefer the Leak and as I mentioned above I will be purchasing one of the Leaks very soon myself.

You definitely seem to prefer that Warmer sound yourself. I like the idea of the Leak and the Lintons. I fear maybe with that combo the warmth may be too much for me.

in regards the Roksan Atessa Amp. There’s very little coverage online about it. What can you tell me about this amp sound signature and quality wise? In which way is it better than the Cyrus, Leak etc ?

is the Atessa CD transport to accompany it also nice ?

Hi GeneticDeviant.

To be honest I haven't had much use of the Attessa so could not give a proper formed opinion. Its a pretty new product for ourselves.

The way it is better than the others is that is sounds better, it has more volume and low levels and produces a good reproduction of the tracks we have played through it.

Again a lot of the sound quality will come from the speakers that you use and not just the amp.

It might be a good idea to try and make the journey to us here in Belfast and get a listen to these setups for yourself.

We have yet to stock the Attessa CD player so not sure how it performs unfortunately.

Ok yeah I’d love to do that honestly. Being 3 to 4 hours drive seay is tricky but be good day out lol.

Heres my thinking: I see it as two roads to go down.

1. Cyrus amp paired with maybe Warmer speakers such as Wharfedales, possibly Evo 4.2 or something similar (feel free to suggest alternatives). I think these will tame any harshness that the Cyrus potentially could have (from reviews I’ve read). I’m thinking this may give well balanced sound. Would you agree ?
    2. Leak Amp paired with less warm speakers. Perhaps the Fyne Audio 500, KEF Q350 or similar. I feel the warmness of the amp paired with more neutral sound and emphasised highs / detail from the speakers may mix well. Would you also agree?

lastly I’d need a CD transport to pair with both options

Hi GeneticDeviant.

I still find it hard to get away from the Leak as I listen to it everyday and it is excellent. It handles those F500 perfectly and we have demo it with them about 2-3 times already this week :)

We have ran it with everything and no matter what it handles them and produces top notch audio.

If you did want to go for the Cyrus it would indeed pair well with the Evo 4.2 or maybe even the B&W 607

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204927-bowers-wilkins-607-s2-anniversary-edition-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

You can pair it with the Leak CDT which is priced at 629 In the Walnut or 499 in the Silver.

ok so was listening to sound demos of speakers online. I know not best way to do it but for now it’s my only option.

Must say was super impressed with the Wharfedale Lintons. In particular the emphasis / forwardness in the mids and especially male and female vocals. The laid back warm sound is very nice. So much so that I think I’m considering the Lintons What kind of space footprint do they require?

if I’ve not enough space for them would there be a similar sounding option in a bookshelf of floorstander that’d need less space footprint ?

Post edited by GeneticDeviant on

Hey GeneticDeviant.

The Lintons really are the business!!!

One of my colleagues has a pair at home and we have demoed them many time here in store. Very good choice of speaker and 5 star reviewed in What HiFi.

Footprint of the speaker is:

Speaker Dimensions WxDxH (mm)300 x 360 x 565 (inc terminals). The stand have the same Width and Depth.

There is anything smaller that I could recommend instead of the Lintons without going further up in price.

For a floorstander you could check out the Focal Chora 826 coming in at 1199 Euro

Or the Evo 4.4 (5 Star Reviewed) at 1199 Euro

Next up would be the Monitor Audio Silver 200 priced at 1369 Euro

I seem to like the warm, sweet sound signature from the Wharfedale speakers (based on online sound demos). I will go for the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 , the Evo 4.4, or the Lintons most likely. Though I’d love to also audition the Focal Chora 826 also as I love their range of headphones. My speaker purchase will be one of these for sure.

Im assuming the Leak amp will power all of these no problem and sound good doing so ?

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny is off today I hope you don't mind me reply on his behalf. Any of those speakers would be an excellent pairing with the Leak.

Regards Stephen

Thanks for picking up on the chat. Much appreciated.

in regards to the Evo4.4 are they suitable for a small to medium sized room ? Do they take up less space footprint than the Lintons? In your experience for both lintons and Evo 4.4 how far away from the wall do they need to be ?

thanks.

The Evo 4.4's would be fine for a medium sized room. They do have a smaller footprint than the lintons.

In regards to how close to place to the wall the evo4.4's are recommended to be placed at least 200mm from the wall. While there is no recommended distance for the Lintons I would suggest about 200mm also

Regards Stephen

My room dimensions etc are as follows :

Space designated for speaker placement is 37inches wide

Speakers can sit out into room = 35inches (to front of speaker)

Room is 10ft wide x 14.5 ft long. 

Speakers will be on the 10ft sized wall. 

Seating position is 7ft away from the wall where speakers will be.

perhaps this will dictate which option is viable or not.

To be honest either of those speaker will work in that sort of area. you have plenty of room to set them 200mm is less than 8 inches

Regards Stephen

Will you be getting the wharfedale Evo 4.3 in Stock at anytime? I see you have the 4.2 and 4.4 only on your website currently.

Hey GeneticDeviant.

The 4.3 are a special order product and can be order up as we require them.

Currently priced up at £999.00 / 1199 Euro.

Lead time is about 7-10 Working days to get them to us here at the store (Stock permitting).

Okay so I’ve decided that I’ll be going for Wharfedale Speakers. It’ll be either the Evo 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 or the Lintons which will be decided once I listen to them all.

im yet to choose amp. I was looking at the leak but from what I’ve read it’s power output is a good bit lower than other competitors and may struggle with the Evo 4.4’s.

So really looking for a good amp match now that’ll also have a matching good CD player or CD transport.

Hi GeneticDeviant.

I would still go for the Leak Amp and CD palyer.

In my opinion you need to go over 1000 Euro to compete with the Leak.

• Advertisement

Yeah I must give it a listen.

if need be I’m prepared to go above 1k for amp etc for the right setup.

specifically the following:

Roksan Atessa amp and Roksan Atessa CD (not seeing CD transport on your website)

Rotel A14 Mk2 and Rotel Cd14 Mk2 (I’m not seeing this CD player on your website)

Arcam SA20 with the Arcam CDS50

Would you be able to advise on each of these in terms of quality and sound characteristic please? How will they pair up with the Wharfedale speakers ?

Post edited by GeneticDeviant on

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.