Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Cody montana

And we’ve back to this shite.

What do you think about him taking classified information from the White House?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This is the logic of his klan:

• Not "Is he right or wrong?"
    • Not "Did he do these things or not?"
    • Not "Is he harmful to his country and party?"

I will break it down into a meme because you know that's what his knan love: A nice slogan that they can chant like "The Leader Is Good. The Leader Is Great" I mean "Lock her up" and "Let's Go Brandon". So I present to you the new klan meme

I'd like to actually thank kermit for the last few posts. I don't agree with them but they are well articulated and give points for debate. Not simply some regurgitation of some old, debunked fox-lies or resorting to "owning the libs" with variations of "Let's go, Brandon".

Kermit will not agree with my opinions below but that's what a free and open debate should be.

Regarding this post, I agree in general that Trump was at least partially, a protest vote: Clinton was the wrong choice. A person not liked outside her own party (And also had problems within). Had she been voted in for two terms then US politics, supposedly the greatest in the world, would have had presidents from 3 families for 36 years: GHW Bush, B Clinton, B Clinton, G Bush, G Bush, B Obama, B Obama and potentially H Clinton, H Clinton. (And maybe feared M Obama M Obama after that).

So there was definitely an appetite to move away from the same old names.

That and apathy from democrat voters certainly would help explain Trump's win.

However you cannot deny that Trump and the GOP have divided the country greatly. You may blame groups like Black Lives Matter and elements of the organisation are concerning but you cannot deny they also came from a place of not being listened to.

So instead of engaging with, working with, hell, evening LISTENING to groups like these, the GOP invited a pair of people who waved guns at them to their AGM like conquering heroes.

Instead of denouncing White Supremacists who organised what was basically a KKK rally, which resulted in the death of a counter-protester, Trump (And therefor the GOP) said there were fine people on both sides. I'm sorry but I do NOT consider a White Supremacist to be a "Fine Person"

Instead of condemning hate groups such as the Proud Boys he (And therefor the GOP) tells them to stand back and stand by.

Instead of helping to identify rogue elements within their supporters the GOP disavow member of their own party and state that these people who stormed the Capitol Building were engaging in valid political discourse.

Instead of having their polsters and analysts and number crunchers and policy-makers investigate why they lost the 2016 election, they push a false narrative of a stolen election. A known lie that lead to death and further division. Even the general GOP party is FINALLY moving away from this false narrative.

You say that Trump voters simply wanted to be heard. Well they have been heard loud and clear now. They have been heard to be supportive of white nationalists. They have been heard to support voter suppression. They have been seen and heard to support and engage in voter intimidation. Driving around in pickup trucks with guns and flags. We have seen that elsewhere. They have been heard to be violent terrorists.

Note, I am NOT talking about GOP voters although, as I have said before, every day the GOP does not denounce Trumps statements, they condone them and embrace them as GOP policy). But the GOP seems to be selling its soul in pursuing the racist vote, in pursuing the homophobic vote, in pursuing the conspiracy theorists. In pursuing party-members who refuse to engage with, debate with and yes, maybe compromise with other people/parties. Even to their own detriment.

And if fox news is the largest news station in America how can they claim to not be heard? How can someone be the biggest kid on the block and not part of the "mainstream Media"?

So yes, I believe that Trump's vote was partially a protest vote but now everyone knows what he stands for and what the GOP is willing to embrace. Is this still the voice these people want the world to hear?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I completely agree Grover.

A vote for Trump in 2016 was in large part a statement of "Let's give him a go , could he really be any worse than what we've had?" and as such I'd have a certain willingness to give people some degree of a pass there.

Although , the frustrations felt by those hit hardest by the 2008 crash should have been aimed at the Republicans as it was they that were in power when all the damage was done to the economy - But as is always the way , the party in power during the clean-up takes the hit as they are the ones overseeing the fall-out.

Voting for Trump again in 2020 and continuing to support him and his lies into 2022 is absolutely an "eyes wide open" action and as such deserves no such "pass". He is no longer an unknown quantity, the entire world knows and understands exactly who he is and what he stands for.

His absolute disdain for anyone and everything that doesn't benefit him personally is clearly visible in his each and every action - How anyone could view him as worthy of any form of leadership let alone governance of the largest economy on earth is beyond baffling to me.

tl;dr -

Trump voters in 2016 , kinda understand where you were coming from.

Trump voters in 2020 and beyond - You are either painfully deluded or you are an actively awful human being.

I will caveat that a little though - The utterly broken 2 party system in the US does mean that a large cohort of people are forced to choose someone that they don't like as they really don't have viable alternatives (although they could abstain!!)

So - When I talk about "Trump Voters" above I am talking about the perhaps 15-20% of voters (and perhaps 50%+ of GOP voters) that actively support the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

So anyone who doesn't agree with you politically is a terrible human being?

You do realise Donald Trump is polling better than Biden at the moment?

You do realise that Trump is favourite to win 2024?

This thread really is Mordor.

The grown-ups are attempting to debate here. Kermit posted some interesting and well considered thoughts (And again, I'd like to thank kermit for engaging in debate) and we are responding in a grown-up manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

If so then we have replied to authur in an arthur-type way and kermit in a kermit-type way.

If this is the case, you really post and then thank your own posts? Oh dear.

Posting under multiple names? Well, it does fit the trump voter pattern I suppose. Vote/Post...

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well done for missing the point entirely.

This is about support for Donald Trump , not the GOP or any particular political ideaology. especially as Trump doesn't have any particular political ideology.

Trump doesn't believe in anything other than himself , he will say and do anything that puts money in his pocket or makes him feel good about himself.

If he thought that he could make more money or garnish more power for himself by being a Democrat (or anything else) he would jump ship in a heartbeat, he couldn't care less about being a Republican or anything else.

Donald Trump is an awful human being and anyone that thinks he is anything other than a narcissistic charlatan, is as I have said either sadly deluded and woefully mislead or they themselves are just the same.

Also - Trump is absolutely categorically NOT the "favourite to win in 2024" , yes he's the front-runner to win the GOP nomination , but all of the current polling (for what that's worth 2.5+ years away) has Biden beating Trump in a head to head Election , but losing by a large margin to a "Generic Republican". That's how utterly toxic Trump is with Independents and swing voters.

So if the GOP actually want to win in 2024 they should be dumping Trump right away , but they won't because they are terrified of him in the primaries because of that deluded/awful cohort of people that currently hold a "casting vote" in GOP voting circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What do you think about trump taking classified information from the White House?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I would also agree that it's utterly pointless talking about polls regarding an election in 2+ years. A significant reason why Trump lost in 2020 was his shambolic response to Covid, which really only started in the US in early 2020.

When Trump faced a true challenge and his country needed real leadership, he downplayed the virus and delayed efficient action. And after that focused more on his own image and public standing rather than what was best for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

After 4 years of polls mean nothing once again polls mean something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just saw that the head of Trump's new "social media" nonsense is none other than Devin Nunes. His career is going from strength to strength anyway.

At least it got him out of politics. Something we can all be glad of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Trump talk back on the radio. Gotta love it. Running for 2024 talk won't be far away.

Trump making a keynote speech at CPAC I heard.

Nearly a 1/3 of the way through to the next election already. Times flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ehm, no.

No one would have a problem with having people being sick of having "right wing crap rammed down our throats". You're free to think that.

The issue lies where there's inequality of treatment. You can call me whatever name you like, I'd be fine with that. But if you do that but I can't do the same to you, then you can bet that I'll kick up a fuss and throw the toys out of the pram.

Donald Trump is banned on Twitter yet the Taliban has a twitter account. 🤡

Guarantee that every document he took are ones that he thinks say something nice about him or makes him look good.

We already know that he took the "letters" from Kim Jong Un.

It won't be documents about banal "government" stuff that he's taken that's for sure.

I bet the plan was to have them all framed around Mar-a-Lago like his fake Time posters etc.

And really folks, Donald Trumps rise was born out of 2008. The rich and wealthy were put ahead of the ordinary person. You see it all over Europe because the same thing happened. The issues of 2008 were never fixed, this is a common opinion shared by experts.

You can reel off GDP figures and growth but none of that matters a damn if you can't afford to live anywhere.

Go have a look at the economies we are familiar with where the rich were bailed out and the ordinary man is getting shafted to this day as a result.

US - elected Trump

UK - elected Tories and Brexit

Mainland Europe - Large rise in "far right" votes

Closer to home, Sinn Fein are rising and rising. They are our Trump. You can be thankful that they are on the left. We're very lucky due to our tax haven status. We're getting tens of billions of tax to spend every year that we really don't deserve. People are angry and voting SF now...imagine if we had 10 billion a year less to spend every year just how angry people would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Did the Taliban violate Twitter's terms of service? The usual whataboutery because you're unable to admit Donnie did something wrong.

And yet in both the UK and the US , the parties that got elected as this supposed "strike against the elites" are the epitome of Elite.

Trump is only interested in making money for himself and by extension other ultra wealthy people , similarly in the UK with the Tories - entitled wealthy public school-boys interested only in feathering their own nests.

The votes for Trump , Tories and Brexit are incredible examples of self-immolation by large numbers of those that voted for them.

What exactly will any of the above do to help the "ordinary people" that you correctly say were shafted in 2008 (and before) by the very same people they subsequently voted into power as a reaction to the fallout of that period???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So what did Trump do to help those badly effected by 2008?

Trump had four years to make a difference, and he was found wanting. Nobody is trying to argue that some of Trumps vote in 2016 wasn't a protest vote. Many people openly stated that they were willing to give him a chance as the alternative, HC, would change nothing.

But then Trump won and instead of fighting for what his supporters actually said they wanted, he spent his time playing golf, failure to prepare an alternative to Obamacare, fighting with everyone, including those in his own party and his own supporters (how many people left the WH during his term).

So he failed, and that is why Biden got a protest vote. You can't argue for one and ignore the other. So why would Trump be the answer to any question for a voter in 2024. There is no longer the 'sure give him a go' brigade. He has shown himself to be lazy, divisive, has no policies, has no plan.

Anybody that voted for him (74m) did so because they wanted to vote for him and accepted the negatives. There was no protest vote in 2020 for Trump. He was the establishment. He was the source of the problems, or at the least he failed to deal with them.

So if you are kermit, can you answer in kermit-mode to the two/three questions in my post?

And if fox news is the largest news station in America how can they claim to not be heard? How can someone be the biggest kid on the block and not part of the "mainstream Media"?

So yes, I believe that Trump's vote was partially a protest vote but now everyone knows what he stands for and what the GOP is willing to embrace. Is this still the voice these people want the world to hear?

What he's done is give them a voice. He represents them. Whether you think he's a true representation, you will say no for definite.

And once again, it's not just people affected by 2008. Issues still exist from 2008, it's not just people who were directly affected by 08.

Whether you agree with them or not, it's vital that you understand why people vote for Trump, vote for Brexit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Stanley 1

The GOP should go after his ability to raise funds, which is Donald's main aim anyway, it will slowly castrate him, apply rules about raising funds for Elections, campaigns and his personal fav MAGA, at some stage he pulls out of 2024 and uses all funds raised to save Trump Inc., or head for exile in Dubai.

I completely understand the frustration and anger from people left behind by society , what I cannot understand is deciding that the solution to that is voting for Trump (or Brexit etc.) and certainly not voting for him a second time.

He hasn't given them a "voice" , he has leveraged their anger and frustration and manipulated them to line his own pockets whilst actively working to screw them over a bit more.

The only real piece of legislation he actually delivered was his tax cuts and guess what? - The "average American" barely broke even from it as the rich absolutely coined it in.

87 Million Taxpayers in the US earn less than 50k per year - After Trumps tax changes , they took home about $300 a year LESS than they did before-hand.

The Trump/Republican tax savings were highly concentrated up the income ladder with hardly any tax savings going to the working poor and only a smidgen to the middle class.

Those making $50,000 to $100,000 for example, paid just three-fourths of 1 percentage point less of their incomes to our federal government. People making $2 million to $2.5 million saw their effective tax rate fall by about three times that much.

Now let’s compare two groups, those making $50,000 to $100,000 and those declaring $500,000 to $1 million. The second group averaged nine times as much income as the first group in 2018.

Under the Trump tax law, the first group’s annual income taxes declined on average by $143, while the second group’s tax reduction averaged $17,800.

Put another way, a group that made nine times as much money enjoyed about 125 times as much in income tax savings.

The British are unlikely to get a chance to vote on Brexit again anytime soon so it's hard to gauge the level of "buyers remorse" there but no one can be happy with how it's going so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So those people that voted for Trump, that wanted a voice, but not actually any action? They just want to vent? What do they think is going to better by election a person with no ability to actually do anything, even if one was actually believe he cared.

I acknowledged that many here, including myself, understood the protest vote for Trump in 2016. But there was no protest vote for Trump in 2020. So what were those 74m actually voting for? To simply hear a man talk in their voice? So you accept that sorting out the mess from 2008 and beyond had nothing to do with it, then fully agreed with the division, the focusing on enemies, portraying sections of the public as non American etc.

They value that more that actual results that will help them in their lives?

At this stage, if I was a Republican and voted for Trump the last two times, I'd be hoping he doesn't run again in 2024. There are plenty of other GOP candidates who would still be advancing the same policies and positions as Trump, and would still be that same "voice of the voiceless", especially seeing as how well it worked for Trump. But Trump's name is now every bit as tarnished as Hilary's was in 2016, to the point where Trump running could lead to protest votes for the Dem nominee (presumably Biden or Harris) just because they don't want Trump back.

A different GOP nominee could bridge that gap enough the 74m or so who voted Trump would still vote for them (as they wouldn't want the Dems to win), but could get enough floating voters, or at least make people less likely to vote for Biden/Harris to block Trump getting back in.

What does Trump truly offer that several other GOP candidates might not?

• Advertisement

On a slight tangent: What do trump supports think his legacy will be? What do they think people will say about him in 20 years time? What do they think his legacy will be and what do they think it SHOULD be (If different).

Genuine question.(Although so far no supporter has ever answered a question of mine so not holding my breath 😀)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement