Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

It's not that simple. There are many reasons why a property could be lying empty. I'd suggest a lot of houses are lying idle because their owners are in nursing homes. Should we tax them for leaving their property idle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Still you can define the values you are talking about. It is your claim back it up

There are many reasons not to do up a property and to claim people not selling means they are comfortable/rich is your claim. It is your claim not true and you won't back up the claim because you haven't actually thought about it enough. Repeating yourself doesn't make it any more true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In the way of things they could be in the nursing home for the next two weeks, or the next ten years. The property will have to change hands when they die. Shame to leave it empty for ten years.

Apart from the Property Tax there is nothing to pay, but in the current emergency I think the State should make some effort to move some of those properties into habitation. Just until the new builds can meet the demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

This sense of entitlement that people with multiple homes should home the cretins needs to stop.

Whinging about the government and now picking on people who can and do what they like with their homes.

It is very obvious. If someone needs money, they wouldn't leave an asset lying empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Anytime the state try to get involved indirectly with private housing all they do is drive prices even further up. In the long run it's cheaper and more sustainable for the Local Authority to buy the A rated brand new houses rather than a run down 30-40 year old house needing 100k put into it to bring it up to any kind of decent habitable standards. It's cheaper for the tax payer as a whole to house low income and social welfare recipients in the new houses as perverse as that might sound. There is less maintenance also. That's why private buyers are also being forced out of the market and miles away from their homes to buy at best average houses. The state if you like are the biggest institutional investor / cuckoo fund.

The social contract between us who pay the majority of tax to keep the show on the road and government who are supposed to offer us a certain standard of living in return is broke. It's in tatters currently.

It's not me who I'm concerned for, It's my 14 year old. At the moment it's the norm to try and buy a forever home to raise kids etc and be close to family. My fear is in 10 years time home ownership will only be for the extremely wealthy or extremely poor in society unless something is done pronto. Maybe that's the way it is already in fact. The days of Mam and Dad giving a dig out for a deposit will be over too.

A change of Government might not be the answer but it is needed. FFFG have had enough time now to sort this or at least alleviate the issues but their interests lie with the landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I think some believe that those owning any unoccupied property as being equivalent to bourgeoisie evil capitalist pig dogs or similar.

Thing is that those who live in properties paid for the state have less liability and fewer expenses than those who live in and own their own properties. Wealth may be relative if what you own and live in would be classed as unfit for HAP but as an owner occupier you don't have the money for improvements.

The fact is both occupied and unoccupied properties unfit for habitation are not unusual. Where I live many of the older properties would be classed as unfit to live in. Whilst some of these houses may be unoccupied in reality they are often little more than significant liabilities requiring complete demolition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

serious head winds ahead for eu & irish economy with war in ukraine looming large price of absoutely everything especially energy is about to soar on top of existing price rises will make it very difficult for home buyers to continue paying nose bleed home prices here..

Europe faces sanctions nightmare of paying for Putin’s war

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-faces-sanctions-nightmare-of-paying-for-putins-war/

If there was a sufficient supply of those A rated houses that would be good. Until there is, I suggest looking at the 227,000 dwellings on which people with two properties paid the Property Tax in 2020. There are a further 332,000 dwellings which are in the hands of people who paid the tax for three or more.

In the 2016 Census there were 182,000 vacant properties, and 62,000 holiday homes. Not counting any local authority stock. I think there is room in there for some effort to be made to get people housed in this current emergency.

• Advertisement

What are you suggesting? Forcing people to give up their holiday homes etc?

That's a good narrative. Work hard, do well for yourself and we'll force you to sell your holiday home.

Easier and cheaper ways of doing it though. And it provide houses in the short term though. Modular housing would be a solution to alleviate the crisis. If landlords or the wealthy want to site on vacant properties let them. But make ti extremely difficult for them to sell in the future.

Unfortunately Ireland arbitrary planning and building standards make modular housing and inventive solutions night on impossible.

The A rated housing stock will never be provided to meet demand. There are just to many powerful lobbyists who want to keep the prices artificially high for their own gain.

I was more so talking about the houses in your first paragraph, the ones where people owned two and three houses.

I'd imagine a lot of those 183k houses are in sh1te condition or are in unsuitable locations. I know a fair few half derelict houses down farmers lanes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

Anyone here thinks Sinn Fein will fix this in a matter of a 4 year term are being optimistic, going to a lot of time, work and patience from the voters for them to fix this mess. FG/FF I feel are deliberately causing this destruction as they see the chances of SF getting leadership soon are huge.

SF get in, the job is too big to over come in one tenure, FG/FF start pointing fingers at SF for failing promises and the country lose their trust towards the party and we then see the FG/FF dominance reign start for decades again.

The only way we see the potential that SF have is over 2 tenures.... Most of the elderly shouldn't be allowed to vote as they just vote FF/FG because thats all they have ever done (very stereotypical but it's some what the truth).

A few people on the thread seem to be happy enough to keep paying the tax on those. One poster reported knowing several people who are leaving them vacant until they retire. These are properties "down the country".

• Advertisement

The fact that there are people who pay tax on two or more properties does not mean that those properties are unoccupied or not already rented out.

Also lots of 'vacant' properties are not only unfit to live in but fit only for demolition

Liability for property tax is on the owner of a property not the tenant

Liability of tenants and lease-holders

You are not liable for Local Property Tax (LPT) on a property if you:

are a rent-paying tenant

and

your lease is for a period of less than 20 years.

You are liable for LPT on a property if you are leasing a property for a period of 20 years or more.

If you are renting a property from your local authority, the local authority is liable for LPT on the property.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/who-is-liable-for-lpt-and-or-household-charge/are-tenants-liable.aspx

Prove your statement about the lobbyists and how they gain.

I could say a certain political party is preventing building in order cause the housing crisis to get into power. I have no proof of it so does that mean it is true like you claim are they are both just made up without evidence. Raising house prices is not evidence BTW

It's my opinion and I believe it to be the case. You might not be wrong about the labour party either 😉

Well, if they are paying tax on those, they are contributing.

I myself wouldn't be inclined to be leaving a house empty if I could help it. But that's because I have a fondness for money, rather than any altruistic concern.

I know this goes against the narrative in this thread but I'm also a believer in people being allowed to do what they want with their own property, as long as it isn't derelict and a danger to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our housing issues will absolutely not be resolved in a single term, sf are gonna struggle to get things resolved, they may not be able to do it, theres also other options if sffg doesnt work out, we could go the way of others, and open the doors for the lulas on the far left and right!

all eligible citizens should be allowed to vote, as thats what democracy is, you hardly want an otherwise, do you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Anyone who says break down the borders, let them all in, refugees welcome deserves a housing crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Can we all go onto gofundme to rise money to buy a house? 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I was tempted to report my neighbors for abusing HAP but I felt bad about it so I didn't. Also I dont know how anonymous a private report of abuse can be once you provide all details, sure the neighbors will know who contacted Revenue on them

The narrative of the thread is very much in favour of people being able to do what they want with their multiple properties. In the country as reported by the media there is a very strong altruistic concern for the Homeless, and their plight is often described as a Crisis and an Emergency.

I only suggested that while we wait for the New Builds to ramp up, the State could offer to buy some of the vacant dwellings, and rent them out as social housing. They are going to do this with some of the New Builds anyway, but I think using existing properties would be quicker.

Does anyone say that?

You don't think refugees should be welcomed?

And most will be in completely unsuitable places, or else rented out. I’ve one of these 227,000 properties. And it’s cold in the winter, completely isolated, and more than 3 miles from the nearest convenience store. Not suitable for emergency housing

I doubt that there are many people who have city property, suitable for housing, laying empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Most of the elderly shouldn't be allowed to vote?!

I've read some bad takes on Boards but this might be the worst. Unbelievable point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

to be fair, it makes a lot sense if you ve figured out how to avoid old age!

• Advertisement

I lived in two different properties over the years, both build in the 1850s, neither were up to renting standards so I lived in them as a caretaker type agreement. Loads of people lived in those two houses over the years. It was great, I loved it. Not everyone wants to or has to live in a 3bed semi

The issue is that a considerable proportion of these "vacant" properties are in shite order and warrent demolition. Many other vacant properties certainly would not be fit for immediate habitation.

Thing is whilst the country is experiencing a higher level of immigration over emigration coupled with a natural increase in population then demand for housing of all types is going to exceed existing supply especially considering that many older houses no longer meet current housing or energy standards. Can some of these be upgraded? Possibly but that's not going to help provide housing in the short term.

Agreed. The stats quoted as being empty and potentially usable properties are a compete red herring. Anyone with a 2nd or 3rd property of a type and in an area suitable for emergency social accommodation is likely to have it already rented out

According to the Census a big majority are in towns and villages, their "Settlements". And a majority of those not in Settlements are close by. The City areas have generally lower vacancies, but Dublin City still had 33 vacant dwellings for every 1,000 of the population.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp1hii/cp1hii/vac/#:~:text=Of%20the%20total%20245%2C460%20vacant,there%20were%204%2C572%20apartments%20(incl.

Over 10,000 vacant dwellings within 1 Km of their nearest town

There were a total of 65,931 vacant houses and apartments (excluding holiday homes) that were not located within the 873 census settlements, representing 36 per cent of the total vacant stock.

When analysing these by straight line distance to the nearest town or village, the majority (41,703) fell between a 1 and 5 km radius from the nearest settlement. There were 4,780 empty homes within a 500 metre radius, while a further 5,685 were within a distance range of between 500 metres and 1 Km.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, there were 1,494 remote vacant dwellings 10 Km or more from their nearest town or village.

Most people have reasons and some sort of evidence for belief and opinion. In their absence on a point of opinion suggests it is an emotional belief of persecution or moral views with the belief their is just good an evil. Things can be bad without any hand controlling the situation and there can also be good outcomes with no plan.

Incompetence is much more likely and government have a long history of that over carefully craft plans. You get a reward for your belief without proof as a moral victory whether it is true or not.

How small must the 873rd settlement be!! I'd suggest still not suitable for emergency housing! Once you get to settlement # 400 you are looking at less than 500 people

Plus many of these properties will be uninhabitable without investment. It wouldnt be acceptable to put a family into a BER F rural cottage

Grabbing second properties from the owners, or prohibitively taxing them, is not the solution to the housing crisis, or even part of it. Its a complete blind alley.

Now, vacant properties in RPZ's could be looked at, but that's about it, and wouldn't even start to solve the problem

No Grabbing involved. Just a suggestion that owners could be approached with an offer to buy. Easy to say NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

Now all these empty houses have been identified maybe its time for those looking for a house to start knocking on doors and find out themselves who owns said empty dwellings and make them an offer if you are mortgage approved. Do not wait on the government to do it for you. All they can do is say no.

Fine, but you don’t address the issue of where they are located nor the number than will need refurbs to be suitable for housing.

the focus should be on RPZs rather than the blind alley of overall housing stock

• Advertisement

I keep pointing out that of 183,000 vacants, and 227,000 houses in the hands of those paying for Property Tax for two, that there has to be some scope to house some people. If there is a Crisis and an Emergency, I fail to see why this option is being dismissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

But you need to realise, sometimes the owner cannot sell.

What made their location suitable for a dwelling originally, and now renders them unsuitable?

Are you being serious? They’re mostly second homes or holiday homes…..by definition people don’t live in them full time. Many will be uninhabitable, BER F, miles from anywhere (your previously supplied data went down to being within 5km of settlements with populations of a couple hundred people) therefore must have a car, reliant on wells and septic tanks that may or may not be adequately serviced. Completely inappropriate for social housing. The papers would be full of “look at the sh1thole where they housed me” stories!!

like I said, maybe something around putting in offers for 2nd properties in RPZs. It’d be expensive though and many of these are probably rented already, but there may be some available stock.

Not holiday homes, they are counted separately. And the number of holiday homes has increased in Dublin per the 2016 Census.

• Advertisement

Okay, but same point applies. In fact, take out holiday homes and I would suggest that an even greater proportion of second properties are inappropriate for all the reasons already outlined

its not the solution.

Many of the vacant properties which are in bad state may not be granted mortgage approval. This is one reason why many such properties lie vacant and unsold. Many simply require demolition.

Vacant property is an issue but not the real issue with housing. People getting caught up in ways to either force people to do them up or make the councils buy them will not solve the vacant properties which isn't really the main concern. Two things have been conflated derelict buildings in towns and empty houses.

Carrot and stick approach are being suggested.

One side believes in increased charges/taxes should be used to make people sell or make it available to rent. It doesn't matter the reason just apply this to property

One side says you should encourage people with financial incentives. There are multiple reasons and you shouldn't force people to do the governments job.

Hard to remove my personal view but I think one is completely impractical and would be very unpopular with the people in Ireland where inheriting family land and property is part of our culture and a huge deal to people emotionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

It occurs to me there wouldn't be as much of an issue if the regulators/RTB didn't reduce supply by driving idividual/smaller landlords out of the market...and inviting in institutional ones who really know how to squeeze

I wouldn't want to be a landlord now ...it just doesn't offer a %return worth the risk (even at those rents) when you consider how long you might potentially be waiting to shift a non paying tenant/fixing damage etc...and more and more govt interference to the point where your property that you are paying mortgage/rates etc etc on isn't really your own

That's why I have to laugh at the idea of any of the powers that be intervening/regulating etc.....its their retarded actions to this date have contributed to the mess imo and they have their hands tied behind their backs to boot....(as an aside at a stroke of a pen they removed bedsits as an option (which believe it or not) suited some much better than having to find a house share)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Barratts home builders are coming to Ireland.

Amazing really.

These guys could easily build 15k units a year. Maybe even up to 20k units.

• Advertisement
Advertisement