Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Your posts are clearly putting the blame on the West and Nato and trying to absolve Putin and Russia in this instance.

"Russia is taking respect"

Just to clarify, it was Russia who sent their military into a sovereign nation last night. Not NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hate to say I called this out, 8 years ago: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/91601179/#Comment_91601179

And 4 years ago: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/106561330/#Comment_106561330

I am very much a pacifist, but even I recognise that there are some lunatics that you cannot reason with and require push back by force.

Germany's cancelling of Nord Stream 2 and other economic sanctions are the right thing to do. But we know from past experience that when you strangle a country economically, then you risk providing fuel for the fire. Russia gets to blame domestic problems on economic sanctions and gets support for all-out war.

If NATO does nothing and allows Russia's continued invasion, then they will be in Kyiv by the end of next year. If NATO wades in, there's a very real risk of Putin using nuclear weapons. But that can't be allowed to deter NATO, because then that becomes the playbook for future Russian aggression against former USSR states.

I think the most valuable weapons at this stage are spies, drones and sharpshooters. Pre-emptively take out Putin and a number of other top brass, plunge Russia into a power struggle and then provide arms and NATO support to pro-democracy, pro-EU groups. Confine the conflict to within Russia's borders, assassinate the oligarchy and then help them pick up the pieces after.

Conflict is inevitable at this stage, waiting for it to come to us is a losing tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes it will,,,,Germany really dropped the ball with Putin over several years. But as for price rises, thats the price we will have to pay, but even if Nord Stream 2 was allowed to go ahead, there's no guarantee that Putin will not increase the prices anyway, any time he chooses... If the EU does ( or not) do something that Putin likes / dislikes, increase prices / shut down supply will be one of his ace cards. The only positive thing to emerge from all this will be a much needed rethink , not only in the EU, but world wide when it comes to dealing not only with Putin, but any other similar threat's. But its a one trick pony for Putin. The EU will not allow itself to be caught twice. Before next winter, alternative fuel / gaz supplies will be brought on stream, and massive storage facilities built. While Putin suffers a drop in EU revenue,,,and not only in terms of revenue from oil/ gaz, but at every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes I'm sure that he has, and I'm also sure that he knows that its his last throw of the economic dice. He wont catch the West / EU with that trick again. But, now even if slowly at first, the world will start to react to his riding a coach and four through international law and norms. He is now a leader of a pariah state, as even one of the Russian Generals has said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

The sanctions coming will be real from the looks of it and with the issues the world is facing already with fuel prices they are going to hurt everyone. Inflation looks to be locked in already in Europe and the US, and replacing the Oil/Gas imported from Russia with Middle East , North African or American Oil will add to inflation.

Electricity bills, petrol at the pump will increase, and the knock on will effect all other prices. Sanctions are going to hurt Europe and The US, they will utterly destroy the Russian economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I'm watching him now. He's very tightly gripping that table. I noticed the thumb twitch yesterday. Could be something, could be nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think the plan is that Russia will pivot South and forget Europe.

Natural resources are in big demand and with the South East of Ukraine it will add to it's grain. Between itself and China near half the globe will be dependent on their grain.

It might not work but they'll try it, China will have promised the world to them in help in this plan.

China wins either way but wins big if Russia succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Coveneys words that he hopes "Putin feels the pain" being out front and centre on international media as a representation of how EU members feel.

There’s the peacekeeping rhetoric out the window!

South East rather than south perhaps. I accept the premise, China needs resources, Russia no longer has a market in Europe.

The real danger there is Chinese intentions. Russia/China 2022 is the exact opposite of Russia/China 1972.

Russia is the minnow with the tinpot outdated army, and Siberia has an enormous Chinese population now. Russia needs to be very careful how it deals with China because the Chinese do not have the scruples of western democracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Crazy stuff about which borders Russia will formally recognise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean every year is record spending on almost everything with inflation but anyway here are the 2020 statistics. The fact remains that UK spends the highest as a percent of GDP at 2.2% in Europe while Russia spend more than double relative to their income at 4.3%. Even in raw terms, Russia spends more than any European country including the UK, Germany and France. Europe has had no interest in war since WW2, hence the reliance on the us. Much to the annoyance of multiple American administrations.

In an Irish context at present basically none of our gas. Up to 60% of our natural gas is from Corrib. The rest is via the U.K., mostly Norwegian and U.K. North Sea gas and some Dutch. The issue is more that the gas price is set internationally so we will still see spikes in price no matter where it’s physically coming from.

Most Eastern European EU counties are exposed but the biggest EU consumers of Russian gas are Germany and Italy, by quite a margin. Both of them have had very poor strategy on energy policy. Germany in particular took a very knee jerk response to Fukushima, despite having none of the same seismic/ tsunami risks or plant designs, but the result has been much more dependence on Russian gas and burning coal / brown coal. They’re making green transition but the interim bit is far from green.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Freeloading masked as no interest in war after WW2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

China, Germany, Italy and The Netherlands generate over 50% of all oil revenue, with EU countries at about half of that. They are the largest wheat exporter at 25% of the world total but the next 5 including US, Canada and Ukraine account for nearly 3 times as much. Pain will be on everyone but Russia's fuel and energy products are 65% of total exports. I saw a comment on one site that described Russia as just a big service station. They need us more on this score than we need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Think about the people in Mariupol, which is Ukraine, they are now being told in a bonkers way that they live in some independent state, with Russian "peacekeepers" on their way. I wonder if Putin will try a tactic of slowing things down now, "deescalating", in order to "normalise" what has just happened (officially moving Russian troops into Ukraine) - I can't see this being escalated further without something very serious sparking off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Basically, they consider the borders to be wherever they want them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Putin could use this argument in all ex-soviet states that russians speakers need to be incorporated into Russia, where will this end? short answer- it wont

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If you look at the Ukrainian map you have the separatist area and another claimed area under occupation by ukraine

It is both confusing and scary. Scary because it is quite clear Peskov (Kremlin Press Secretary) did not know the answer to a very basic question. It suggests that policy in the Kremlin is off-the-cuff right now, that is re-inforced by that crazy press conference yesterday where we saw a succession of senior people in the Kremlin being marched up like naughty schoolboys to give the "party line" on The Ukraine only to be corrected several times by Putin.

They are making it up as they go along!!

The biggest issue Russia faces is that they’re a very simple energy and resources economy. The majority of their domestic economy is focused in Moscow, St Petersburg and a few other very concentrated spots. The rest of the country isn’t very well off at all.

What they’re doing at the moment will inevitably drive Europe’s green transition faster and cause countries and more do energy companies to de-risk their energy supplies by switching away from Russian gas.

If you think about it like this. You’ve a number of supermarkets. Most of them are normal and friendly and then you’ve got this Russian one that’s a bit cheaper but has heavy bouncers who will occasionally threaten to beat you up, maybe threaten to break your car windows, or carry out military exercises in your back garden… you can kind of see why it might not be a great marketing strategy.

What you see is countries and more so energy companies voting with their wallets. It’s inevitable and it’s likely to just result in different focuses, more LNG etc etc

In the medium term this can only damage the Russian economy. That’s just the reality of it even without sanctions.

Thats exactly the point I have been making to the Kremlin BOTS for years now. EVERY country in Europe has population groups in other countries. Hungarians in Romania and Slovakia. Germans in Alasce/Lorraine, Italians in Nice, Austrians In Italian Alps, Croatians in Triest, Irish in Armagh/Derry/Tyrone, Finns in Karelia, I could list 50 to 100 such cases.

But Europe has decided to grow up because these regions are not worth the 30 million dead it cost Europe twice in the 20th century. All except 1 country, Russia. They are stuck in Sarajevo in June 1914.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They have spent the last decade trying to sanction proof their economy, dumping foreign currency reserves, shifting more towards China both in a political and economic sense. They knew well that sanctions would come again.

Sanctions will hurt them still no doubt, but the havoc it will play with fuel prices and electricity prices in Europe will be a nightmare. More inflation and a big threat to German manufacturing on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

EVERY country in Europe has population groups in other countries.

Irish in Armagh/Derry/Tyrone,

Eh???

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement