Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

What do you want to send the Irish army across the border into the North like Charlie tried before Jack spanked his arse for him. Point is we are a grown ass country so is the UK, we spent 20 years discussing an issue with the UK and reached concenus which has resulted in no war or invasion. Just like every other country in Europe since 1945 EXCEPT Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Hungary and Poland are best buddies in the EU at being contrarian and backing each other up. The polish government hates putin though so it will be awkward for their relationship going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Ukrainians stating 10k Russian troops have moved in to the two Eastern regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

I like to be warm in the Winter as much as anyone else, but if push comes to shove, can I do without heating? Probably, yeah, shít as it might be. Now, there would certainly be others for whom a lack of heating would be a potential life or death issue, obviously every subsidy scheme and incentive should be put in place to help them get what they need.

But overall the takeaway is we need energy independence more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

He’s a joke of a leader! Only heading down one road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Far be it from me to go all Godwin but that nice German word Lebensraum really comes to mind here!

Boris Johnson says five Russian banks, and three high net-worth individuals, are being sanctioned, with more to follow. Not exactly headline-making given his rhetoric of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Best thing that can happen is that Putin becomes brave enough to encroach on one of the Baltic states, then NATO will have the right to engage. He's not that silly though. Looks like they'll have to just sit on their hands and watch the Ukraine.

Masks are so handy at this time! Applause not all that enthusiastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

We have pretty much the mildest winters in Europe and many houses still have the option of open fires. I spent 4 winters in The Czech Republic. Gas in winter is life or death there, as is the case in Slovakia, Poland, Germany, in fact anywhere East of the Rhine or North of The Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ukraine haven’t reacted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Europe depends on Russian nitrogen, as does much of the world and the world depends on Belarus for Phosphate.

We'll manage but nowhere grows grain to the yield and quality of Ukraine and 500 miles east in to Russia.

Ultimately they need to sell more than we need to buy but they'll Also take a lot more punishment than the modern West Will.

People will be very sore seeing a loaf on Special in Lidl for 3 or 4 Euros.

Ultimately while it has incredible resources and dominance in many of the most essential it has hamstrung itself by letting the rest of the economy suffer.

The Dutch disease it's called in economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That's the sound of their arse cheeks clacking together after yesterdays spanking from Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

Putin has no right to invade Ukraine, but that isn't really stopping him from doing it anyway. If the USA, for example, wanted to stop Russian forces from encroaching on sovereign Ukrainian territory, they would, because when it comes down to it, they don't give a b*llox about protocol either. It's always nice to have approval of the UNSC, but in realpolitik, not entirely necessary. The USA certainly did not need it to invade Iraq.

So, given that all these mechanisms we have in place to make ourselves feel safe are awfully flimsy when push comes to shove, if Russia were to go at Estonia, for example, I think there'd be a lot of, "....well, it's only Estonia. Do we really want to start WWIII over Estonia? Could we not just put together a package of economic sanctions? Maybe a hashtag?", plus the likes of Peter Hitchens on Question Time laconically going, "The people in the Eastern half of Estonia have declared an independent Republic, and if we're true democrats in this country, we must respect the right to self-determination of all nations, not push our own imperialist agenda. (moderate applause)"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Be careful with those assumptions. Fervent/fanatical movements can pivot incredibly quickly. I'm not saying it will (or is likely to happen) but a switch from Polish Nativism to some kind of pan-Slavic Nativism. At the same time though I get the impression that some of the structures are still strong enough in Poland to prevent anything big happening, though the courts have already been swept out.

A lot of Germans moved to Leitrim in the 70s and 80s.

The locals called it Leitrimsraum.

There was some nasty stuff directed at Budapest from Brussels and EU leaders, Mark Rutte especially.

I suspect that Orban will be telling them to come down from the high horse or he might tell them to go D themselves.

They were looking at short term issues and it may well bite.

Berlin is where the sanctions will be fatally undermined. Everything else is window dressing, the rest of the Eu can work around Hungary if they choose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NATO Article 5 leaves enough wriggle room for countries to do just that. While it says that an attack on one member is an attack on all, there is no compulsion on NATO members, either individually or as a whole, to do anything about it and they can do as they "deem necessary" which could be nothing, militarily anyway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭brickster69

You do not know how much LNG costs compared to piped gas do you ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The village of Novoluhanake in Ukraine is currently getting pounded from the separatists areas

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Indeed but lets be real here. A good chunk of this is Europe's own fault allowing itself be led down the path of the green fairytale where we actively prevent ourselves exploiting our own resources. It's lunacy and is leaving us exposed to the kindness of others.

Russia and other states has no such qualms and are more than willing to take advantage. And why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

There's some nasty stuff directed at the EU from Orban/his media on a regular basis I think.

I know it might go against grain of your politics, but would you not agree the play fighting Hungary and Poland have been engaging with against the EU and some of their neighbours looks a bit silly in the face of events. In Poland's case in particular. Perhaps they should consider more where Poland is on the map relative to Russia. Probably as poor a strategic choice in hindsight for their country as the German energy policy was for that country.

Esp. Poland's cosseting of Orban over last few years by lying him up every time the EU might have taken some action against Hungary. Absolutely brain dead policy by the master strategists of the Law and Justice party. I suppose you are right that they will probably get away with that and even if there actually was a veto attempted by Hungary it could be worked around somehow.

I don't think there's any evidence yet that Germany "will fatally undermine" any sanctions against Russia.

Looks like I’ll be spending some time on the bog this year.

Gonna stock up on flour too and buy a donkey and cart and a cow and some chickens and put that lettuce on the window sill.

I don’t care what my fellow semi detached neighbours say 😂

Energy security is a thing as well.

There are certain things where strategic national interest has a place.

Food, energy and defense.

There is no redundancy built in to modern Western economies bar America especially European ones.

What happens if Russia cuts oil exports for a while. Cuts gas to Europe.

We have natural gas untapped, peat plant electricity stations idle. They should be used now, if you want to save the bog limit Coillte planting on it

It can be done as a balance and in a green way but still be there for short term emergencies.

Can we handle oil 50% higher?

3 euro at the pump etc?

No and that's not to do with Russia but they are taking advantage.

As said earlier the Ukraine needs to be given enough anti tank missiles, etc that every Man over 16 can be in a position to take out a Russian soldier.

Be time to get some seeds down soon @PencilSharpenerOnWheels. Chard and perpetual spinach are healthy, easy grows. And dandelions are surprisingly delicious if you don't fancy the gardening much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The rhetoric comming from Russia seems to suggest they are pivoting towards a full invasion of Ukraine. It may not happen but I certainly wouldn't bet against it now.

Unfortunately for Ukraine their is going to be only one winner, I think they may end up having to negotiate some kind of transfer of power to return Ukraine back under Russias influence again.

Its a very sad state of affairs but unfortunately with Putin with one hand on the button to launch an all out nuclear war no western country will ever dare getting involved other than bringing in sanctions to look like they are doing something.

I dont think even Putin would ever be stupid enough to dare invade any NATO country, but then nothing can really be ruled out.

Europe now needs to really get its sh**t together and some how find a way to become less dependent on Russian gas.

I also think that against previous conventions the US really need to start looking at a nuclear defense systems again, thats if they havent already been doing so in secret anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement