Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

How about people who are infectious before showing symptoms? How do they stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

No

I'd say that's happening for a long time already Ger, i've never tested myself but worked all the way through in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

I've picked the first option but it's a bit too encompassing for me. The only place I've worn a mask for a while now is on the Tube (not that I'm on it anywhere as much as in the past) and I would expect that's likely to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

No

No

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you have a special personal characteristic that makes it so that masks won't protect you, or do you think that they offer no protection to anyone?

If you think it's the latter, would you have an theories as to why doctors and nurses and medical people wear them in general? I mean not just for covid but you would have seen them being worn often in hospitals

• Advertisement

The thing that I never understood were the gobsh1tes who would wear a mask under their nose. By doing that you basically have all of the hassle and inconvenience of wearing one but none of the benefit. Either wear one properly or don't wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

No

'Do you have a special personal characteristic that makes it so that masks won't protect you'

Yeah a brain

'would you have an theories as to why doctors and nurses and medical people wear them in general?'

Not all surgeons even wore them in surgical theatres prior to 2020. They stop spit from visibly flying from the surgeon's mouth and landing on the patient but can't prevent infections sorry.

You might want to reassess your source of information

2 seconds finds a photo of doctors wearing masks as protection against respiratory infectious diseases. Long before there was covid19

No

It allows people to breathe easier.

They're wearing it in the first place to dodge a €2,500 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

No

I would have voted yes until recently when i got a very light dose of what i can only assume was Omicron, but now after having it, its so unlikley that i'll get it again, so I wont bother as it'll wont of any use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralMudkip

And where'd you get this genius intel? Surgeons have always been required to wear masks during surgery, especially during delicate procedures such as neurosurgery.

There is no fine for walking on the street without a mask.

If you don't want to wear one then don't. If you're going to wear it, at least do it in a way you get benefit from it.

But if you want to wear one under your nose so as to just annoy yourself for zero benefit then fire ahead. Ha'penny Matt Talbot wannabes perhaps? They could also put a small sharp stone into their shoe to cause them similar discomfort for no benefit.

No

'A contemporary questionnaire-based study, which attempted to assess the attitudes of surgeons, revealed that 96% of responders wore facemasks.1 About equal numbers did so with the primary aim of protecting the patients compared to protecting themselves. However, it was also found that 20% of responding surgeons wore the mask for the sole purpose of respecting tradition. Furthermore, 30% of responding surgeons felt that masks could make surgery more difficult by increasing breath condensation on spectacles, endoscopes and microscopes and thereby obscuring vision.'

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/

No

As has been said a million times about people wearing them in cars, these people may be going from shop to shop or public transport to workplace etc and not bother taking them off in between.

I doubt if they are trying to annoy sincere believers in masks. I suppose that is a good troll if they are but would anyone bother?

So your proof that medical professionals never wore masks before covid mandates is a survey of surgeons who replied that 96% of them wore masks? Fair enough.

Can you not appreciate how retarded even that "excuse" is? They don't bother taking them off but do bother pulling them down.

When you pull it down, you are basically inhaling everything that might be on the outside of the mask. "Here johnny, here is a piece of fabric that might have captured some of the virus on its outside as air was being filtered through it. Would ya like to put it up there with the virus side against your nose and take a few good inhales off it 🤣

No

I said that not all surgeons wear masks even in surgical operating theatres prior to 2020. I was asked to prove what I said and now I have.

The most interesting finding from the survey to me was that one fifth of surgeons wear them 'for the sole purpose of respecting tradition'.

So almost a quarter (24%) of surgeons - what people think of the prime 'mask-wearers' in the medical profession - don't believe in masks at all.

Yet you and others would have us believe that the belief in masks within the medical profession is unanimous.

The conclusion of the paper was that "Given that there is no evidence that they cause any harm either, proponents would rather err on the side of caution and encourage their continued use, stressing that there is no room for complacency when it comes to ensuring patient safety. This opinion is similarly echoed by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidelines which assert that mask usage contributes towards ‘maintaining theatre discipline’."

When looking at a paper that specifically focuses on Covid-19 transmission in a public setting, we can find that "Based on these studies, all people, regardless of physical conditions and professions, should wear masks at all times in prevention of COVID‐19. In this regard, inhalation protection via masks is particularly important in order to reduce the transmission of viruses that are potentially carried by droplets and aerosols." Even looking at some of the figures in the paper can give you a good idea of what exactly masks do with Covid.

DOI: 10.1002/mds3.10163

No

I'm aware of that thanks.

I provided what you asked for. You're welcome.

See my reply to Donald Trump above, belief in masks within the medical profession is far from unanimous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

As part of my job I'm in 20 to 30 homes per week. About 5% of homeowners wear a mask while I'm working in their home. I don't believe the 95% of homeowners will wear a mask in shops when they don't when tradesman is in their home. I think we will see a massive drop of from next Monday with less & less wearing masks as days turn into weeks

• Advertisement

And yet in a previous post you stated that masks won't protect you? If you're aware of their efficacy I honestly see no reason why you refuse to wear one.

Yes in all situations.

Yes. I am still in a high risk category so will continue on as I have.

I was just in a deli shop a few minutes ago, collecting a sandwich for my lunch (little treat) and this pig ignorant bloke stood behind me, coughing and hacking like crazy, with no mask and made no attempt to even cover his mouth. 🤬

How quickly people forget.

No

No I'm aware that the conclusion of the author was 'lets err on the side of caution'-type logic and 'its good for maintaining theatre discipline', whereas the research shows that many surgeons don't reach the same conclusion.

I believe they are a placebo, especially if we are talking the flimsy plastic piece of cloth and a piece of string masks.

There would have been high take up of masks without brandishing fines and prison sentences at the few number of holdouts . I was even slightly positive towards masks before they became an imposition, that was back in April 2020 or thereabouts.

If you look at any reputable source, such as the one that I posted above, or a study such as this one; 10.1016/j.cis.2021.102435, you'll see that the engineering behind masks is very complex and the lowered rates of transmissions in people who wear them is not simply a "placebo".

On an unrelated note, I would be very curious to see which age groups tend to be the most hesistant to use masks and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not many will admit this but given that masks provide some anonymity and deter conversation, I may continue wearing one (FFP) to places where I might bump into someone from school. Less chance of an awkward interaction with some asshole that I haven't seen for 25 years.

Also less chance of a cold or flu. Haven't had one since the start of the pandemic. Normally have a few every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Does this really happen to people? You say hello, nod and move on. 25 years years is a long time for people to grow up, even if some take a good while longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Yes on packed buses. In other situations no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

No

I voted no as I don't plan on wearing a mask in the vast majority of situations. I may however wear a mask on packed public transport in the wintertime, particularly if I have something coming up like Christmas or a holiday as it's miserable to have a cold then. I do believe getting colds is important for a functioning immune system so otherwise I won't be actively avoiding trying to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Might do sometimes, won't be bothered though and it'll be less covid and more being almost undercover reasons.

I don't get the people saying they're going to continue wearing them on trains etc as they've shown public transport to be dirty places. Your fabric mask doesn't stop you getting germs, it reduces the spread of yours.

And secondly, are these same people going to go around with bottles of hand sanitiser and clean their hands every time they touch a public door handle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Loads of people will continue to wear them because they want to hide their face. There simply isn't any doubt about that.

I may continue to wear them in Dunnes just in case I invoke the wrath of some angry Karen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement