Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

To paraphrase "it's not my fault, its everybody else !"

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I finally got some indication from ESB that 1350 is BS, and they mean 1350 connection points, not units.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So they’d be also be counting the 50kW units as 3!

shameful fudging of the numbers.

I wouldn't mind if it was a terminology thing, but their glossary of terms is pretty clear on what a charge point is. And it's not like the ever post up on Facebook saying "we've just installed 3 charge points" when it's a single 50kW unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I was about to post it but gave up as it is such a sad news. Beside the fact that the number is fudged which mean the 3000 will be proportionately fudged. The target is that in the new decade there will be on sale only cars with plugs. That will mean that using the most pessimistic growth model in 2030 will be around 500k EVs on the road.

at the end of 2021 22k EVs ..... 1350 "chargers"

at the end of 2030 500k EVs .... 3000 "chargers"

x20 ..... x 2

Our only hope is ecars to be sold by then

• Advertisement

Jesus that makes for grim reading!!

All hope now lies with the private sector! Tesla, Ionity, EasyGo and fingers crossed some new players from abroad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd much rather see fuel station operators invest in their own charging infra instead of selling off eCars. I think the goal is to make sure eCars don't get too big and end up being broken up as a monopoly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The correct number should be simultaneously usable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

re ecars getting to big is it sarcasm? I can't really grasp it sometimes. Would these guys get broken down for setting the bar to high? Or just because they se the reality?

Pretty sure there is a sweet point in the market share when suddenly all operators will fight to install chargers. It is not far and coming fast

It's going to have to be a very sweet spot given the difficulties & costs involved with getting an ESBN hookup!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ECars currently replacing some rapids in NI and everyone is giggling like schoolgirls.

Yes it's good to finally see some progress. But the way eCars have treated NI for years is an absolute disgrace and I'm sure it's no coincidence that at the same time EasyGo announce that they're currently scouting sites for up to 100 rapids, eCars finally install the first new rapid for I believe 4-5 years.

And its not even a new site, just replacement of old units.

Its like Toyota announcing their first EV. Too little, too late, and I hope they fail miserably and get eaten up by the competition.

Lol, criticise the Northern Irish network at your peril...

Rules are, only EVANI are allowed to condemn eCars, so that when chargers are finally installed they can claim it was because of their influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's like the good/bad old days down here when chargers were free to use, always broken, and the comparable associations did nothing but have coffee with Anna and want to claim credit for anything positive that happened, like OMFG a replacement SPOF 50kW charger, WOW

But site approvals, planning etc. They all take years to get! We've only had 5 years!

Similar story with the republic. Years since the funding was approved, but only a handful of new sites. Basically just the hubs. No new AC units. No new regional DC locations.

NI hasn't had any expansion in 10+ years. And for at least 5 years they weren't even maintaining what was here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's like schrodingers network, it's both so big that it keeps competitors out of the market, and so small as to not fulfil demand. It doesn't look like eCars are aiming for a monopoly position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s not too small, it’s just the wrong types and quantities of units in the wrong places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

I believe ecars have been told they must sell themselves by the competition crowd. This does not specify it, but a later report did

They are acting like a monopoly. Also when would they take outliabs at their own cost if they are trying to make themselves look good for a sale? Single chargers per site make them very busy, thus pushing up usage statistics and money taken in per charger.

In NI there was a law against fees for EV charging which was changed a couple of years back. Then ecars wanted funding (free money) to replace existing sites, they they needed to order the actual chargers in one batch and there is 6-12 month lead times due to high demand.

People like to blame ecars, and they have plenty of issues easily fixed such as parking positions versus chargers, but they are not in the business of rolling out commercial non public funded chargers. Assuming a nationwide rollout us financially unviable the government needs to put out a tender with clear timelines, hubs, and allow easygo, applegreen and other providers apply. Ireland at one stage had an enviable network, ahead of most countries and the number if chargepoints compared to number of EVs was very good. I think governments priority on this issue is low, lots of lobbying is needed , and while the ROI and NI associations are trying to do this even groups like the green party are not firmly pro EV. I don't know the solution, but selling off ecars may or may not help. I think x amount from each new EV sale should be earmarked for public charging, but we are already 5 years behind the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Does it though? I mean, there's probably some truth to it but there also seems to be a fair bit of passing the buck going on

It'd be pretty interesting to see ESBN's and An Bord Pleanala's side of the story as well. Are they really snowed under with requests and are too badly funded/inefficient to process them all?

Or is it a case that they get one application every 6 months and spend the rest of the year haggling over it?

Two sides to every argument is all I'm saying 😊

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

2016 was when ESB Networks officially owned the network as part of the pilot project and there was the question of what to do with it when the pilot finished. eCars operated the network on behalf of ESBN.

In 2018 the CRU followed that up by agreeing with ESBN that the charging network was worthless, would be too much hassle for ESBN to sell, and the assets should be transferred to eCars for 0 cost.

• Advertisement

Low numbers of chargers per site is exactly what you would do if you were trying to maximise the utilisation per charger (i.e. get the most value out of infrastructure), the only networks that don't operate that way are Tesla and Ionity which seek to maximise availability instead of utilisation, they can do this because they aren't funded with the intention of making money from selling charging services.

eCars are not fulfilling demand today, monopoly situations are usually seen when a market leader uses it's strength to over deliver to crowd out new entrants, to listen to people claim that eCars are abusing a monopoly situation to not fulfil demand is just nuts.

Noticed the HPC in blanch was being repaired yesterday. There seemed to be a constant flow of EVs coming in to charge and then either queueing or giving up

At least they've the second charger now. After it was fixed there was almost constantly 3 EVs at the chargers

I'll give some credit to ESB, they're the only people who are installing fast chargers or HPCs in more remote areas. I don't see Ionity or Tesla installing a HPC in the west of Ireland anytime soon

The rollout is still garbage and their "hubs" are in name only, and I do agree they effectively have a monopoly on a lot of public charging

I still reckon the best approach would be for the government, local authorities and the NTA to get together, figure out where fast charging should be installed and tender out the contract to install and maintain the infrastructure to private companies. It would allow for much more targeted use of public funds to ensure unprofitable routes still have decent charging infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ridiculous place for a high powered charger. One of, if not the busiest shopping centres in Dublin and they plank it in the middle of there.

It's so busy at times it can take 20 minutes to get off the M3 and then attempt to get a space.

Ballycoolin is beside it and could easily support a decent sized hub. No traffic jams and I'd say there is ample capacity with electricity supply.

Even the N3 maxol station would have made more sense.

Used one of the snazzy new 50kW chargers in Belfast today. There was someone plugged into the AC socket though, which the departing Leaf driver told me would result in the DC sides being limited to 22kW.

Sure enough when I plugged in, I only got 24kW.

However I was chatting to a friend later who used the other newly installed 50kW and he also was limited to 24kW. There was nobody on the AC socket.

Nothing but the best from Anna.

I'd go on the EVANI page to see if others have had the same issue but they've booted me out for the crime of telling the truth lol.

Listen, there's people who've lost kneecaps in NI for telling the truth, be glad you got off lightly 😉

Maxol have indicated they'll invest €20 million on EV Charging hubs this year, they picked 7 sites, 4 in the North, 3 in the South. The Maxol garage at Ballycoolin is one of them. They indicated they plan to install at least 3 150kW chargers. It's looking to me like eCars will be crowded out of the service station market, we've seen clear signs that Applegreen and Maxol want to operate their own.

They make a good point though... give us the grid connection, and we'll do the rest.., and would be a great opportunity to sell off eCars, and just use the climate action fund to fund grid connections for appropriate locations.

"Maxol wants the Government to cover the cost of getting power into the grid and to the right access locations on their or other’s forecourts. Maxol as a private business will then invest in the equipment, maintaining the service and in a payments platform, he claimed.

The company plans next year to develop eight electric vehicle charging hubs, provided the power is made available and there is access to it in the locations, three of which are in the Republic and five in the North.

These would have at least three 150KV chargers on site and Mr Donaldson said Maxol has already developed branding and a payment platform for them."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

still at the bottleneck of ESB, look at Tesla Athenry, all but finished before XMas and now gone to Q2 2022 before expected to be operational

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement