Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, fair point. As I said, I suspect the Joe Manchin-style wise men like Lacey do more harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

He's an odd character in general in my experience. I can remember him from being out and about in Dublin when I was a much younger lad in the mid 90s, where it seemed that just about any bar or club in the city centre you'd walk into, he'd be there. He had this tiresome schtick going where he'd be doing his best to freak people out by going all intense on them. After a while you'd realise it was all a big put on and just ignore it (and him)

As to why he's got a bee in his bonnet over cycling in particular, barring some thug of a priest in that hellhole he was in in Connemara being fond of the odd cycle in between beatings, I imagine it's the oxygen of publicity in the unwashed armpits of the internet such as Twitter, the Daily Heil, and Journal comments that fuels it. Anything cycling related is good for stirring it up with the gammon that lurk there, and with muppets like Kenny and CarTalk 106 in general. In the spirit that the old "no publicity is bad publicity" it ups his profile as a populist gobsh1te with that cohort, helping secure a vote for him next time round

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I mentioned it to you elsewhere, there is huge pushback on this within the ranks of two of the three Govt parties. For reasons a) the politically toxic subject matter and b) covid, the catalyst for these mobility schemes, is over and done with.

His senior mandarins are well against it too

-Irish Examiner Sept 2021

If that's the angle coming from his own Department, well, I wouldn't hang your hat on these regs ever appearing once Strand Road is finally finished off on appeal.

Funnily enough, someone I know who used to work as a bouncer at Lillie's Bordello, and he said Flynn was very entertaining but very "messy", and he wouldn't let him inside. He said he'd give him a drink at the door, and he would tell entertaining stories about his "pyromaniac" days.

The following footnote was part of the announcement today on the approval by Government of a number of amendments to the Road Traffic and Roads Bill 2021.

Separately the Minister intends to use regulations and guidelines to allow local authorities progress experimental traffic management schemes that promote active travel throughout the country.

Looking forward to seeing this in place soon. Roll on the bike lane trials

The announcement also contained details on the changes for Ebikes and scooters

Power to Vary Speed, Weight and Power in Definition of Powered Personal Transporters (PPTs) - The Bill defines PPTs - including e-scooters – by reference to maximum design speed, weight and power. It is now proposed to amend the Bill so that the weight, speed, and power output in the definition may be varied in future through regulations. This will enable prompt response to what is a rapidly developing area of technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Only caught the end of the segment. What did he say & slipped it in how ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The segment was about clamping and had nothing at all to do with cyclists, yet he brought up cyclists on the footpath as the biggest evil on Dublin's streets.

You can catch it all here: https://www.newstalk.com/news/clamping-fees-in-dublin-to-increase-by-more-than-55-next-month-1313813

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

like what Effects said. Deflecting issue with an another issue. Classic behaviour when you don’t have a leg to stand on. My 8 year old does it.

Post edited by bazermc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

He was asked about potential new dog and litter wardens the other day and he brought up cyclists as being a threat to their safety. I can’t remember if that was already linked to on here. He will complain about cyclists if asked what he had for breakfast.

”Mannix Flynn, an independent councillor, said he supported the motion for a pilot, but that he would be concerned for the safety of the wardens, particularly from cyclists and electric scooter users.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not a cycling matter as such but when you hear about the nonsense spouted about cyclists breaking red lights, motorists seem to be even worse and they end up killing people, that's the difference. Just shows how brainwashed people are when it comes to the reality of what happens on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'a nine second lapse' is one *hell* of a lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Are we aware of any proposed cycle lane where a Fine Gael councillor doesnt come along and say - "I'm not against cycle lanes but..."

‘Small win’ for cyclists over Howth cycleway (irishtimes.com)

Also, peculiar use of the word 'controversial'.

Cycle infrastructure as being 'controversial'. Like Kanye wearing the Maga hat? Or the Satanic Verses? Or John Delaneys salary at the FAI? These are all controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

We seem to be slow to put mothers in jail when they kill on the roads.

It is easy to lock up a drunk/criminal/all round assh0le who kills but when it's a "normal decent" person the criminal justice system seems ready made to give them a pass.

Any accident is always a unique set of circumstances but with regard to road collisions they are nearly always as a result of bad habits which the Accused has got away with over time.

I'd bet the house that wasn't the first red she broke or the first time your one in Ballincollig (link below) was looking behind her doing 120km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Whatever about actual jail terms, which are expensive on the state and you can argue to their effectiveness, why are driving bans so lenient. Where somebody is killed or seriously injured as a result of poor driving, there should be a mandatory ban of at least 10 years. Curiously in the unfortunate case in Ballincollig you linked to, the driver seems to have been let off her (lenient) driving ban for almost 2-1/2 months as she was presumably convicted in mid-late April going from the date of the report, but her driving ban didn't kick in until July 1st. WTF? Would somebody that was convicted of shooting somebody with a shotgun be let off with it for a few months because it was pheasant season?

Until there're consequences for actions nothing is going to improve. And that includes the "small" stuff - if drivers get routinely taken to task for illegal parking, breaking the speed limit (even marginally), close passing and all the other bellheadedness that goes on on our roads, more care and consideration will be shown. Better still, do it on the Finnish basis of linking the amount to your income to better deter the Range Rover/Cayenne brigade to whom €80 is loose change

But of course that would involve political will to drive this down through all levels, and somebody, presumably the Gardai, having the personnel and willingness to enforce, so I won't hold my breath

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It really is, in almost every scenario I can think of driving, hell even walking, leads to an accident. There isn't a stretch of motorway in Ireland where a 9 second lapse just below the speed limit means you aren't off the road.

I would go as far as it needs to go further. Regrettably as we have seen, when people get banned, except for those with a conscience, many just go back on the road with no insurance. I would be of the opinion that a tighter set of controls on car purchases needs to be implemented. Just a flag on the system. The person cannot buy a car, any car they are caught driving both them and the registered owner (unless stolen) get a jail sentence, and close relatives receive a warning that this person is banned. This along with a notification to all insurance companies, the motor tax office etc.

I know plenty who in my youth got banned and continued on as normal, nothing indicates this has changed based on the stories from the garda twitter feed.

This said, the number who are caught making themselves a target makes the mind boggle. If I had no insurance or tax, I certainly wouldn't be doing 160kmph without a seatbelt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, the fact that the green for the pedestrian takes six seconds to appear after the red for motorists - that speaks volumes.

Yeah, it's not the first time a "lapse" of that magnitude has been presented as if it's understandable. I can't imagine looking away from the road/disregarding signals for that length of time on a bike, let alone in charge of 1.5-2 tonnes of machinery.

(Hadn't seen the very similar replies when I posted.)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I used to live in mexico city where red light jumping was rampant. They introduced licence plate reading cameras at major junctions with fines issued in the post. The problem disappeared almost overnight.

usain bolt would be able to run nearly 100 metres in that time.

Yeah, and even at "only" 50km/h nine-second "lapse" means 125m of blind travel. If it isn't criminally irresponsible, it should be.

• Advertisement

i know it's probably standard practice to bring up all possible factors in a case, but the talk of whether the pedestrian might not have been visible behind a pole seems totally irrelevant, as if there was some sort of 'you can drive through a red light if you don't see pedestrians' rule.

Yes, I noted that too. Plus the harping on him "running", to make out that "he ran out in front of them", which is irrelevant, because the red light is totally unambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Part of the Book of Evidence would have been the Garda Forensic Collision report, which would have included a map and Garda comments on environment.

The Garda's job isn't to frame the report to get or convict anyone; if there was an issue with street furniture obscuring the view of pedestrians on path he probably has to comment on it. The Defence will then run with that irrespective as to whether it matters a flying fcuk as to why the Accussed couldn't see a red light which was illuminated for 9 seconds. Being a Defence barrister is like playing corner back when you are told beforehand what the corner forwards tricks are and for added bonus you can have a go at restricting him from as many as you can before hand

Driving forward for 9 seconds any failing to see a red light would qualify you as unfit to drive; being that unaware in an urban setting is dangerous by any stretch.

None of pedestrian crossings look that problematic to me on Streetview, anyone know which one it is? Tescos?

Edit:2011 guidance attached, section 4.1 is probably what Garda was referencing

Post edited by Large bottle small glass on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's what struck me when I first read the article. There was no argument as to the colour of the light, but all sorts of aregument around street furniture etc. The logical conclusion to me being the fact the driver went through a red light was only secondary to her killing the pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

From the Examiner article above...

“There was no question of any issue of dangerous driving. It was a momentary lapse in concentration with catastrophic consequences,” Sgt Lyons said.

How can a Garda Sergeant stand up in court and say that driving resulting in death didn't meet the bar for "dangerous driving"?

yes, driving through a red light that has been red for over six seconds no longer counts as dangerous driving.

So insulting to the deceased's loved ones, imagine how cheated they must feel having to listen to that nonsense, no dangerous driving involved after flying through a red. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A disgusting verdict.

• Advertisement

What you think she should have received compensation too?

Advertisement