Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Undocumented when they've settled and irregular while on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When I needed a dig out for a few grand and a couple of weeks in the NRH… there was nobody in the government or the administration of our health services willing to approve my application for a few grands help but 50 million enabling the health, wellbeing and comfort of strangers… right 🤣

dystopia had to start some way.

Aye, it's absolutely brutal what's going on. Words fail me at this stage.

Hope you got the help one way or another 👍

None of that makes one bit of difference to the 'locals'

A hotel full of people staying for a night or two, or a hotel full of people staying for a few months, none of it has any impact on 'locals'

I did thanks, but thanks to others and 100% privately paid for rehabilitation I’m back up and practically running again…

but I’ll never forget this cesspit of a country, first and only time I ever needed a dig out having paid my dues / taxes for 20 years… drove past baleskin and their hotel accommodation on my trips to the ‘private’ gym I used hmmm.

I remember asking the state physio if there could be a grant I’d be entitled to to go towards buying a treadmill or cross trainer, how she laughed…

But circa 50 million of our money per annum made available to assist complete non tax paying strangers…..ensure their comfort and wellbeing ? Ok, then the cost of amnesty on top… money, education, healthcare, travel, housing for people breaking the law…. Geeee thanks Ireland !!! You have become a cesspit where a land of 1000 welcomes has become that and a land of tens of millions of giveaways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Wait until the implementation of Guaranteed Accommodation for Asylum Seekers after 4 months in Ireland is implemented....

That €50 million will look like chump change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Don't forget the close to 1bn we give away to other countries in Foreign Aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I honestly cannot understand your - what I can only presume is - wilful "head in the sand" attitude to this topic across multiple threads. Of course there's a difference, and of course there'll be problems.

This is reality and experience. Ideology and "happy hopeful thoughts" do not change or trump that. Just ask Ukraine how that philosophy is working out at the moment!

... and where we continued to give away over €600m during the height of the recession. Borrowing money and paying interest to give it away!

Just out of interest what kind of area is Coolock? Working class, middle class?

Who are the local TD's?

• Advertisement

Working/welfare class depending on what part of it you mean. The closer you get to Darndale, the more of the latter you encounter. The side closer to Beaumont is a bit better. Northside SC seems to be the dividing line.

Lived there unfortunately for years myself at one point.

Have that many asylum tourists ever been put into middle classes in those numbers?? It's welfare/working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm surprised that 3300 since October even made the news!

I see on the journal they have more pressing concerns- 20%!! of the staff signed an objection to a new catering crowd getting the gig of running the cafe in the national gallery. The problem being they also do the catering in a few direct provision centres.

Today we got an update on the story that a couple of artists have withdrawn their works in protest.

Can we possibly get a third article on the same non event?

Ok, cheers. I don't know much about Dublin, rarely have reason to visit 😀

I'm going to leave this thread now for a while, I've made my objections to this lunacy known. I'll continue to make my concerns known to my local representatives no matter how uncomfortable or annoying they find it.

I know people who would be considered "middle class" from there. Middle class includes a wide variety of income types (and the fact that income streams can drop considerably over a life time).. and besides, the difficulty in getting housing has pushed many middle class into areas traditionally more heavily populated by the working class.

Truth and the greater concern will be the yearly clamour for repeated amnesty… this won’t be a one off….

do the people making these decisions not question where in time we are going to facilitate the people arriving ? And the population spurt ?

will it be seen as a necessary evil, building housing in the Phoenix Park, the Burren, or along the wild Atlantic way ?

will sports and social facilities once open to the public get commandeered by the property people with planning fast tracked because we need as they will put it….‘housing’ when it’s fact ‘people’… no shortage of houses, just an over abundance and population of people all of a sudden.

Look, the UN and indeed the CSO are not making up the numbers, I’ve posted links previously the population here is getting out of hand so……

the British found out the hard way..cost of housing went up 10.8:% between 2020 and 2021… that’s according to the government’s own figures…inflation was about 2.7% nutsville…

we need to learn some hard lessons but I don’t think we can or will…already gone over the cliff.

As regards to not affecting the locals, the promise of a hotel would have brought about investment in the area from tourists or business people, making use of local restaurants, cafes, etc. Asylum seekers supported by the State won't have the same kind of income for spending that such visitors would have. There's also the aspect of hiring staff for the hotel... in all likelihood, the hotel being operated for Asylum seekers would operate under a much reduced capacity, and severely limits the potential for promotions (the hope of transferring within the chain of hotels, and so, gain the experience for better salaries).

A new hotel in such an area would generate a lot of income locally.. and the potential for other businesses to be spawned from association with it. Being paid by the State wouldn't have the same impact.. and besides, by the time that the State releases it for commercial operations, it'll be rundown, and dingy, doing little to add to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Ah, obviously it will. Someone staying a night or two is just passing through, and is barely noticed. Someone staying a few months has effectively moved in to an area. That can be a positive or negative, depending on who the person is...

Its so obvious and shouldn't need to be pointed out. Best to engage honestly in the discussion, rather than just have bot-like woke responses to these threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The government are morons guided by NGOs they helped create, who are afraid of any criticism.

They spend what we want and to hell with the consequences approach they have to this is echoed across many areas of Irish politics but its specifically laid bare here.

Zero long term thinking, zero plan, just an ever increasing burden on the taxpayer to avoid making hard decisions or being seen as a "bad guy/girl/person"

And there is zero alternative

There is now major major EU skepticism in Italy, Poland and Greece… not just here…in fact I’d say knowing the Italian mindset, they will be the next to depart… in fact the bookies agree…

italy in 2020 launched their amnesty program…

cost taxpayers there…. 55 billion…socially it will never be quantified but it’s nutsville.

the EU is fûcked really.

• Advertisement

55bn, Jaysus. I haven't heard one word about costs of ours.

And theirs was only for 6 months, after which you had to be in employment and have a legal permit. Theirs makes sense to be to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You mean people staying a few months who have nothing to do all day and have no money.

Ever hear the old adage "The devil finds work for idle hands" ?

BTW you really do seem to live in an alternative universe where you fail to ever see any issue that normal people come up against.

Must be great 🙄

Then again it might be as another poster pointed out you don't care if the country goes down the pan as you have no stake in it's future?

I am not allowed discuss …

I've worked here for the past 7 years. I've seen shootings, lads getting battered with hurls, a lad getting battered with a hammer, a lad dying after his scrambler hit a car, regular scrambler races down main roads hitting the speed bumps at mental speeds, vids of the local scauldys 16-18yo dancing and jeering after KMW was chopped up, robbed cars joyriding around the area. There may be middle class people living there, but it's a welfare/working class area.

Asylum seekers can work thanks to a court ruling a few years ago. No reason to believe they will get into any kind of trouble.

And I don't know what you mean by not having a stake in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Economics101

With a domestic housing shortage and the effects of such seemingly open-ended provision for undocumented/illegal/refugee/asylum-seeker immigrants (I don't know what the accepted PC description to-day is), we are heading for some very nasty reaction from those who feel that immigrants are depriving natives of housing. They may be totally wrong, but starry-eyed liberals seem to be incapable of appreciating the inevitable backlash.

I am not approving of any backlash, I just want to avoid it.

Totally agree, it's almost like they want a "far right"

Today its a rant against immigrants, yesterday it was against travellers, before that it was "the 1%", tomorrow it'll be HSE, the next day it'll be Europe etc etc

Thankfully we don't run the country based on the rants of the vocal few

There may be middle class people living there, but it's a welfare/working class area.

I didn't say that it wasn't.. just that in terms of who is living in certain areas, things aren't as clear cut as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Economics101

You have construed what I wrote as a "rant". It wasn't: I was fearful of a nasty backlash against well-intentioned but naive policies.

If that's your idea of a rant, well I give up.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I should have phrased it better. It wasn't directed at you per se, but rather what you were referring to in your post

Advertisement