Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I had the misfortune of listening to that whinger on Matt Cooper... I now know who I'll be breathing on in the queue 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Forgetting it is a pain in the hole too. Thankfully every time I forgot it for the shop in the last month I just didnt bother with it.

Well rid of them next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Most of the shops I've been in will provide you with free one in case of forgetting. Takes a little to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah you guys definitely would love that carry on. Make sure to wheeze heavily, maybe pant.

You make it sound so dirty.... are you living your heavy breathing phone call fantasies through me by any chance?

• Advertisement

No point in asking for a mask from next Monday..... just go with the flow and smell the locals, get to sniff someone else's farts again 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was just coming on here to mention this, its a last ditch attempt by the media to try and guilt trip people who are now exercising our right not to wear a mask if we don't want to.

Unfortunately there will always be some people who suffer from medical conditions but the rest of society should also have the right to move on from all this.

Will be interesting to see in a few minutes if Prime Time has a segment on mask wearing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

That’s the funny thing about masks …. Walk into a dirty pub toilet over the last 18 months with the aul mask on . BANG…. The whiff of toilet substances is the same with or without a mask. Begs the question, if masks can’t impede smells how can they impede tiny covid particles?

Anyways we are officially back to reality and normality thank god in 5 days and counting thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Looks like some of the TD's desks will be clear for work from Monday.

Just 486* fines have been issued for the non wearing of face coverings since becoming mandatory in 2020.

That's less than one per day.

Was it in part the unwillingness to enforce the legislation that has brought us to this point of abandonment?

Does the legislation need amending? Do the 4E's of explain, educate, encourage and enforcing need to be scrapped.

After all mandatory masking will have to return soon and it will need to be enforced with a vigor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Seriously? Yes the legislation needs amending so that this can never happen again. I hope no-one paid those ridiculous fines, and I hope the Gardai have more time now to stop actual crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I just know people are already reading this like it's being written by an angry incel simp [buzzwords], but please don't take it that way. Masks are going, my own view on them doesn't matter, I will continue to wear one but don't expect others to. However, there are always 2 sides, so taking your reply:

The get extremely uncomfortable in warm conditions. - I quickly bought one that was far more comfortable, you wouldn't even know you're wearing it. But this is a personal thing.

Constant fogging of glasses - easily resolved with proper wearing.

I want to see other humans' faces - not everyone does

I find it hard to hear what others are saying at times - they should speak up more because they're wearing a mask.

Look, I get it, most people are sick of them, never wanted them, don't believe the science and think they were pointless. We're beyond trying to educate, it's back into the "normal" and nothing can be done about it until the next outbreak, because there will be more. Not necessarily covid, and possibly not again for a while, but it will happen.

Anyway, what I, and I'm sure people who will be continuing to wear masks, want is for everyone else to respect our choice to wear one, and maybe if you're in a queue in a shop (not pub/club/etc) and someone is wearing one, don't stand on top of them, give them a little bit more space. People are already queuing in my back pocket again, I didn't like it before and really don't like it now. But it's really not much to just give a little bit more space. That's all. Nothing else going forward. Just a little bit of extra space. I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

i work sometimes in very warm and stuffy environments, moving around, bending down, all sorts of movements. This is for 8 hours a day! Very uncomfortable. And the constant readjustment of the thing. All this contributes to the fogging of glasses too. Not easily solved at all. Again, your experience is not mine or others.

Not everyone wants to see others faces? What a bleak outlook you have. A bit odd to be honest.

On the hearing part. Yeah let’s all shout at eachother all day long.

You wear your mask, I won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It is recommended that you do wear a mask. Like you also wear shoes. Will you be ditching your shoes as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@Swaine

Not everyone wants to see others faces? What a bleak outlook you have. A bit odd to be honest. - People have worn my patience thin, mostly due to being a Garda for 10 years and seeing the absolute worst in society, and how blind most people are to the laws they break daily. I don't like people anymore, especially the ones you meet randomly on the street who only want to gossip. You'd be surprised how little people have to talk about if you remove gossip. I couldn't be bothered trying anymore. I have my groups of friends, I don't need any more.

On the hearing part. Yeah let’s all shout at eachother all day long. - I said talk a little louder, not shout.

As we have now both alluded to, yes, everyone has a different opinion. But yes, you do you, I'll do me. Please just keep a little bit of space between us, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Tbf anyone who is so obsessed so as to continously go on at length non stop about masks like as in this thread - then that's definitely a lot more concerning.

Pat Kenny? Who? Just turn off the radio ffs. Probably best to let it go, most everyone else already has.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Apparently they haven't if the recent polls and even the threads here are any indication.

It seems not only are a sizeable number of people still holding on dearly to their piece of cloth, but not happy that others don't intend to do likewise. They certainly aren't happy that NPHET have advised they're no longer required either - despite 2 years of telling others to "follow the science" and experts.

Some really will struggle with rejoining normal society and that's where my own concern comes in as the rest of us will have to deal with it and the attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"It seems not only are a sizeable number of people still holding on dearly to their piece of cloth, but not happy that others don't intend to do likewise" 

I think that's just more of the same spiel there kaiser. And bizarrely the main complaining in this thread atm seems to be about what a small number believe what others might just do and think. Let them off. It shouldn't bother anyone to the degree shown here.

Look at the discussion. In the main it's not people screaming for masks to be retained. It's mainly people complaining that others might just have another POV. It's like some are truely obsessed with masks and just can't leave the whole thing go and it all comes across just a bit beyond crazy

Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight, good man yourself 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Your desire for space doesn't appear to be covid driven though you just don't want to be close to other people because you don't like other people. Or at least that's how it comes across, and you believe the mask may assist with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just out of curiosity, did you ever contemplate wearing a mask before all this?

No reason has been given by NPHET as to why the mandate can be dropped.

Is Micheál Martin(Flashbacks to the 2020 Dáil Debates) relying on the majority of the public to pull through with continued masking as he has done time and time again. It's not like An Garda Síochána enforced the mandate so that compliance remained high. We have been hovering below the mid 80's since September.

So the plan is to just let the dangerous slackers do whatever they feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

surely they have to give a reason why the mandate should remain in force, rather than give a reason why it can be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

You seem to be taking this badly. You are aware that come Monday You will still be free to continue to wear a mask if you still wish

Funny how it was ‘believe the science’ all along. Now the science doesn’t hold up for masks and it’s ‘dangerous slackers’.

Enjoying the mental gymnastics, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you're genuinely serious with all this, at this stage of the "crisis", when even NPHET have recommended the removal of the remaining restrictions, then you sincerely should step away from the coverage and social media for a while because this level of fear and lashing out can't be healthy.

I'm being completely sincere. This isn't good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It's not really. It's advice to still wear masks. Do you ignore your doctor's advice as well after seeing them?

Big difference between being "advised to wear a pointless rag on your face" and "you should take these drugs to stay alive"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Look. Come Monday you'll just have to take it on the chin that some people will no longer be wearing masks

Advertisement